Voyage to the Planets and beyond... Discovery Channel

Old May 22nd 05, 04:28 AM
Orion

Default Voyage to the Planets and beyond... Discovery Channel

Bad sci-fi at it's worst. The laundry list is so long, it's hard to know
where to begin...
First the good..
Some good cgi images....
so much for that...
Now the bad....
A truly horrible mix of 20th and near 22 century technology..
I guess this takes place 50 -100 yrs from now...
Naturally, they still have to use the Shuttle Atlantis to get to LEO!!!!
Guess we just can't retire the damn shuttle...
It was clear the producers found that , in terms of crew selection,
political correctness was far more important than anybody having the "Right
Stuff'...
What a bunch of losers! The cast of Gilligan's island would have been a
better choice...
Every time they land somewhere, within minutes, disaster strikes at every
turn...
In the far future, they still use plantronics headsets (like the one Nasa
and I currently use), and they still have the same quality of communications
that the Apollo mission had, with that pesky beep between broadcasts, VOX,
but, amazingly, they solved that nagging little problem of the speed of
light, and Communication from Jupiter to Earth is real-time....no delays for
c on this show...
naturally they have to set foot on Venus, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... at nearly
every turn, a robot would have been a better choice...
The crew has all the physical conditioning of a group of lymy
accountants...But I guess as long as they have British accents, that makes
them good choices.....
The landing vehicles all look similar to the Mars Lander Estes models rocket
I built in the 60's...
Since the "astronauts" have the physically conditioning of Stephen hawkings
with a bad hang-over, of course they are going to make them crawl up a 30
foot Lander with a 200 lb suit on just in the nick of time to blast
off....so many more flaws, but I'll let others through the 2 cents in...
If you want to see how not to do human missions in space, this is the show
to watch...
Glad Stanley Kubrick missed this one...wish I had...
Orion

Old May 24th 05, 06:47 AM
David Knisely

Orion posted:
Bad sci-fi at it's worst. The laundry list is so long, it's hard to know
where to begin...

Agreed. Things like getting all worried about solar flares when in
orbit around Mars, yet sending their "magnetically shielded" ship
terribly close to the sun just to get over to Jupiter. Then, the flight
through their "crowded" asteroid belt, which amounted to, "OMYGOSH, WE
ARE GOING TO HIT THOSE ASTEROIDS!!". Landing a *single* person on Io
and THEN going outside? Sheesh! Only THEN did they bother sending a
probe down to Europa. It was silly science, with those astronauts
finally making a decently logical decision to come home early.
Discovery Channel had a chance to do some halfway decent science
presentation, but they went back to their overhyped and somewhat
questionable fiction.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 31 - Aug. 5, 2005, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old May 24th 05, 07:08 AM
Eric

Orion wrote:

[...]

What did you all think of their other program "Alien Planet" was it called?
The one where they send an unmanned mission to "Darwin 4".
Eric

Old May 24th 05, 07:27 AM
Dark Guardian

After seeing the marathon showing on the Discovery Channel, I whole
heartedly agree. Solo landing on Titan, a solo space walk into
Saturn's rings, comet fragments blasting the ship's hull that should
have left that spacecraft in a million pieces.
To even go to Jupiter and conduct an aero-brake is risky with all
that radiation it's dumping out. Astronauts disobeying instructions
and cutting communications to Mission control was done on Skylab and
as one other person indicated on Amazon.com on Apollo 7.
This wasn't the first time comm was willing cut as the film
indicated. If this all really happened, this would be the first and
last manned missions to the planets.
I wonder if there was a hidden agenda to show the hazards of manned
missions and the benefits of robotic missions.
In the end, not to continue the mission and to run home with their
nose bloody and their tails between their legs was also a
disappointment. The film gave me the feeling that man was not meant
to explore the planets in person. That manned missions wasn't worth
it. Love the CGI shots. Too bad the story ruined it.

Old May 24th 05, 03:11 PM
Hilton Evans

"Dark Guardian" wrote in message ...
After seeing the marathon showing on the Discovery Channel, I whole
heartedly agree. Solo landing on Titan, a solo space walk into
Saturn's rings, comet fragments blasting the ship's hull that should
have left that spacecraft in a million pieces.

I wonder if there was a hidden agenda to show the hazards of manned
missions and the benefits of robotic missions.

Man, now that's paranoia. Hollywood "science" faire
is full of scenes where asteroids swarm like flocks of birds
and star ships pass through nebula that are opaque as a London
fog. Then there are the sounds of roaring engines, booming
explosions, etc. If there's an agenda it's to get you to
watch the commercials.

--
Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old May 24th 05, 03:19 PM

Do you mean to say that the Discovery Channel actually ran some science
programming (like they used to do) for a change, instead of shows about
rednecks arguing and building motorcycles, or people painting the walls
of their house a different color?! Well, if so, I missed it, because I
haven't watched the Discovery Channel, which used to be my favorite
network, for about three years now.

Old May 24th 05, 06:07 PM
Bob May

Don't forget the spacecraft that stop when the engines stop! Also the
direction of the exhaust flame when approaching aonother object.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Old May 26th 05, 06:42 AM
Olga Kulodnai

Orion wrote:

Bad sci-fi at it's worst. The laundry list is so long, it's hard to know
where to begin...
First the good..
Some good cgi images....
so much for that...
Now the bad....
A truly horrible mix of 20th and near 22 century technology..
I guess this takes place 50 -100 yrs from now...
Naturally, they still have to use the Shuttle Atlantis to get to LEO!!!!
Guess we just can't retire the damn shuttle...

Next to Jesus its the Shuttle! Worship the Skuttle!