Buffeting during STS-107 entry (WAS: This group)

Old July 31st 03, 02:37 PM
Doug...

Default Buffeting during STS-107 entry (WAS: This group)

In article ,
says...
Hmm, ignoring the idiots who are obviously enjoying playing in the murky
waters here at the moment, I noticed something odd.

The topics here seem to go around in a big circle, returning to old
favourites like the what if threads about Challenger, or the old fav. What
will replace the Shuttle.

Unfortunately, particularly in the case of the first thread, nothing new
comes up in the discussions, and in the latter, the same people advocate the
same answers again, but maybe using a differnt set of words.

It reminds me of those serialised self help magazines which you can buy,
but after a time, the thing returns to the start and the whole set is
regurgitated for ever...

Now having said that, I guess its hard to actually come up with a new
subject... I'll have to have a think....

OK -- here's a new subject. Well, I brought it up in passing once
before, but no one commented on it whatsoever.

At the very end of the recovered STS-107 entry video, the camera seems to
have been mounted along the side of the cabin. It's pointing at some
cabling (appears that it could be the camera's own cabling, leading back
to the power and voice channels to which it's obviously attached).

While the last several snippets of intact video from this period show
signs of damage (digital artifacting), those that survive show the
cabling moving and vibrating, sometimes rather energetically.

Now, the previous entry videos I have seen show (IIRC) a pretty smooth
scene, no noticeable vibrations or buffeting. What's shown at the end of
the STS-107 video would seem to me to be unusual.

What I'm getting at is whether or not the process of the wing failing
might not have generated this observed buffeting, and if so, wouldn't the
crew (at least those who have flown before) have noticed that this entry
was becoming rougher than ones they had experienced in the past? In
other words, perhaps they had some clues that something was wrong from
the way the orbiter was flying for the last few minutes?

Comments?

--

Do not meddle in the affair of dragons, for | Doug Van Dorn
thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup |