toucam

Old August 18th 04, 07:24 PM
DS

Default toucam

Hello ng

I recently purchased an ETX125 which included a toucam II pro, the camera
has been mounted in a small box with what looks like an open ended 35mm film
canister attached to one side, I have a few questions that someone could
possibly answer

1 There is a red led mounted on the circuit board that illuminates the
inside of the casing, I assume this will cause problems? is it possible to
remove the led without causing the camera to 'fail'
2 The 'camera chip' appears to be mounted fairly centrally in the opening
and I can see an image when the unit connected to the PC, what would be the
obvious symptoms of misaligment?
3 Which image processing software is best for the newbie, freeware if
possible?

Many thanks

Darren S

Old August 19th 04, 12:08 AM
Tim Auton

"Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote:
DS wrote:

[snip]
3 Which image processing software is best for the newbie, freeware if
possible?

K3CCDTools and Registax are my favourites. K3CCDTools 1 is free, K3CCDTools2
is cheap and *very* good. K3CCDTools is also a capture program (both
versions).

I've only ever used K3CCDTools 1. How much better is K3CCDTools2?

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.
Old August 19th 04, 01:59 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Tim Auton wrote:
"Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote:
DS wrote:

[snip]
3 Which image processing software is best for the newbie, freeware
if possible?

K3CCDTools and Registax are my favourites. K3CCDTools 1 is free,
K3CCDTools2 is cheap and *very* good. K3CCDTools is also a capture
program (both versions).

I've only ever used K3CCDTools 1. How much better is K3CCDTools2?

http://www.pk3.org/Astro/k3ccdtools_whats_new.htm
http://www.pk3.org/Astro/k3ccdtools_whats_new_2_1_2.htm
Try it out and see. There is a free 35 days trial period

Clear skies
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/

Old August 19th 04, 08:38 PM
Roland Roberts

Old August 19th 04, 10:38 PM
Carsten A. Arnholm

Roland Roberts wrote:

"caa" == Carsten A Arnholm writes:

caa Try it out and see. There is a free 35 days trial period

Hah! With my weather, I would need a 6-month trial to have any hope
of getting real use in....

Hah! I will change your weather with mine just like that. I live in Norway.
Check the coordinates.

--
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/

Old August 20th 04, 03:32 PM
Roland Roberts

Old August 21st 04, 12:16 PM
Simon

"DS" wrote in message
SNIPPED

1 There is a red led mounted on the circuit board that illuminates the
inside of the casing, I assume this will cause problems? is it possible to
remove the led without causing the camera to 'fail'

SNIPPED

I removed the LED when I wanted to use a Toucam for low-light terrestial
imaging, by cutting one of the metal legs and bending it away from the PCB.
See http://www.setters.demon.co.uk/lundycam/diy_toucam.html . Doesn't do any
harm if you're careful.

Simon