Astrophotography camera recommendation?

Old August 23rd 04, 08:38 PM
Orion

Default Astrophotography camera recommendation?

I have been shopping for a good digital camera for astrophotography. I have
found that in general CCD is the way to go over CMOS because CCD produces
less noise for the longer shutter speeds needed for deep-sky photography.

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, CCD Digital Camera for use
on a 10" LX200?

Thank you!

Old August 23rd 04, 09:09 PM
Tim Auton

"Orion" wrote:

I have been shopping for a good digital camera for astrophotography. I have
found that in general CCD is the way to go over CMOS because CCD produces
less noise for the longer shutter speeds needed for deep-sky photography.

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, CCD Digital Camera for use
on a 10" LX200?

More information would help. Do you mean an SLR-type "regular" camera
or a dedicated astro camera? Colour of B/W? How much is "reasonably
priced"? Planetary or deep-sky?

You might not know all the answers exactly, but some idea would get
you better recommendations.

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.
Old August 23rd 04, 09:47 PM
Orion

Hi Tim, thanks for responding.

I am looking for a Digital CCD type camera, Ultimately a Digital SLR would
be nice but I am open to other options as well. The option of using the
camera for regular photography is attractive but if I can find a dedicated
Astrophotography CCD 1-megapixel or better camera for a reasonable price, up
to $500, I would consider that, But I would pay up to $1000 for a camera
that I could use for regular photography as well. I would want to take
deep-sky color pictures with it so the shutter would be open for some time.
This is why I elected CCD over CMOS because CMOS I have learned is more
susceptible to unwanted noise the longer the shutter is open.

Thanks for your help!

"Tim Auton" wrote in message
news

Old August 24th 04, 12:54 AM
Tim Auton

"Orion" wrote:

I am looking for a Digital CCD type camera, Ultimately a Digital SLR would
be nice but I am open to other options as well. The option of using the
camera for regular photography is attractive but if I can find a dedicated
Astrophotography CCD 1-megapixel or better camera for a reasonable price, up
to $500, I would consider that, But I would pay up to $1000 for a camera
that I could use for regular photography as well. I would want to take
deep-sky color pictures with it so the shutter would be open for some time.
This is why I elected CCD over CMOS because CMOS I have learned is more
susceptible to unwanted noise the longer the shutter is open.

$1000 or so would bag you a Canon 300D, which has the same sensor as
the Canon 10D. It's CMOS, but it a damn fine CMOS. Pete Lawrence (a
guy from uk.sci.astronomy, where I also hang out) uses a Canon 10D.
He's very, very good (he has an article in the latest Sky &
Telescope). http://www.pbl33.co.uk/. The software (firmware) is a
little different between the two Canon models, but I understand there
are ways to get it better (hacked 10D firmware). A 10" scope gives you
enough light to make a quality digital SLR capable of imaging . You'll
not be catching any mag. 18 asteroids though.

Tim
--
Google is not the only search engine.
Old August 24th 04, 05:16 PM
Orion

That's some great information Tim, thank you! Just so happens that I know
someone selling a 300D, guess I better take a closer look at it!
Cheers!

Old August 24th 04, 05:37 PM
Orion

Tim, this camera has 4300+ pictures taken on it. Is that considered a high
number for an SLR?
Thanks!

Old August 25th 04, 05:30 AM
Steve Hix

"Orion" wrote:

Tim, this camera has 4300+ pictures taken on it. Is that considered a high
number for an SLR?

No.
Old August 31st 04, 06:47 PM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:16:12 -0700, "Orion"
wrote:

That's some great information Tim, thank you! Just so happens that I know
someone selling a 300D, guess I better take a closer look at it!
Cheers!

"Tim Auton" wrote in message
.. .
"Orion" wrote:

I am looking for a Digital CCD type camera, Ultimately a Digital SLR

would
be nice but I am open to other options as well. The option of using the
camera for regular photography is attractive but if I can find a

dedicated
Astrophotography CCD 1-megapixel or better camera for a reasonable price,

up
to $500, I would consider that, But I would pay up to $1000 for a camera
that I could use for regular photography as well. I would want to take
deep-sky color pictures with it so the shutter would be open for some

time.
This is why I elected CCD over CMOS because CMOS I have learned is more
susceptible to unwanted noise the longer the shutter is open.

$1000 or so would bag you a Canon 300D, which has the same sensor as

And about 200 to 300 more would get the 10D, BUT with the 20D already
announced I would expect to see some discounting and soon. The Nikon
D-70 (body only) is being discounted from $200 to $300 which puts it
in the $700 to $800 range. 3 weeks ago no one would consider
discounting them.

I would expect to see the 10D and Digital Rebel (300D)show up with
the same kind of discounts soon.

There is a whole new flock of cameras slated for this Fall so what
capabilities and prices will be showing up is anyone's guess.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com