Anyone interested in V1647 Ori = McNeil's Nebula?

Old August 18th 04, 03:03 PM
Michael Richmond

Default Anyone interested in V1647 Ori = McNeil's Nebula?

There was quite a stir last January when Jay McNeil noticed a
new bit of nebulosity surrounding a new star in a star-forming
region near M78. It turned out to be a young star which had
gradually been brightening for several months. Many astronomers
turned their optical, infrared, and X-ray telescopes towards
the field during the spring of 2004. I've been trying to keep
a rough log of the results at

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys440.../new_star.html

Things slowed down when Orion passed behind the Sun in early May.
However, the constellation ought to be coming up in the morning
sky about now. I was wondering if anyone has managed to observe
the field again, or has plans to do so soon.

I'd be happy to discuss this at much greater length via E-mail
with any interested parties.

Michael Richmond