If we're so concerned with space junk, why no effort to minimize it?

Old September 15th 15, 01:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default If we're so concerned with space junk, why no effort to minimize it?

There are plans to launch thousands of mini-satellites from various sources. Doesn't seem they are too concerned.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34217255

Old September 15th 15, 01:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 17:05:27 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

There are plans to launch thousands of mini-satellites from various sources. Doesn't seem they are too concerned.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34217255

You consider the Galileo constellation "junk"?

Microsatellites are low risk. They are launched without adding to the
debris field (thinks like bolts and bits of the launch vehicle), are
large enough to be tracked, and have a short lifetime before decaying.
Old September 15th 15, 03:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

The answer to your title question is this:

Space junk is bad, because it might mean we couldn't launch new satellites into
orbit and make lots of money that way!

What, minimize space junk by stopping launching new satellites into orbit right
now? Kind of defeats the purpose...

Of course, with some organized planning, people might take an old satellite out
of orbit without making junk as part of putting up a new, more advanced one.
But that costs extra, so people would only do that if everyone else was forced
to do it too. It's not like space is ruled by any government, after all.

John Savard