Astronomy Software?

Old August 17th 04, 08:28 PM
Cactus88

Default Astronomy Software?

Hi all,
I am looking forward to getting a nice sized telescope sometime
in the not too distant future. But in the meantime, I would like to
enjoy the profound beauty of the Universe virtually, by way of my
very capable PC. Does anyone know of any good freeware astronomy
programs out there? Especially where one could sort of "fly" through
the stars, taking in the marvelous sites. Not so much just static pics
of astrological objects. Clear Skies!
C88

Old August 17th 04, 09:23 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Cactus88 wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking forward to getting a nice sized telescope sometime
in the not too distant future. But in the meantime, I would like to
enjoy the profound beauty of the Universe virtually, by way of my
very capable PC. Does anyone know of any good freeware astronomy
programs out there? Especially where one could sort of "fly" through
the stars, taking in the marvelous sites. Not so much just static pics
of astrological objects. Clear Skies!
C88

Ooops... You just used the "a"-word, :-(

Apart from this, maybe Celestia is what you are looking for:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Have fun,

- Alex

Old August 17th 04, 09:47 PM
Algomeysa2

Starry Night has a two week free demo. www.starrynight.com

http://www.starrynight.com/digitaldo...l_download.php

Old August 17th 04, 11:22 PM
Cactus88

"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message

Cactus88 wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking forward to getting a nice sized telescope sometime
in the not too distant future. But in the meantime, I would like to
enjoy the profound beauty of the Universe virtually, by way of my
very capable PC. Does anyone know of any good freeware astronomy
programs out there? Especially where one could sort of "fly" through
the stars, taking in the marvelous sites. Not so much just static pics
of astrological objects. Clear Skies!
C88

Ooops... You just used the "a"-word, :-(

Ouch! So sorry. I meant to say *astronomical* objects. Of course, you knew
that.{-)}
And thanks for the link!
C88

Old August 17th 04, 11:50 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Cactus88 wrote:

"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message

[...]

Ooops... You just used the "a"-word, :-(

Ouch! So sorry. I meant to say *astronomical* objects. Of course, you knew
that.{-)}

Yes, but just couldn't resist the temptation to complain, :-)

And thanks for the link!
C88

Sure, :-)

- Alex

Old August 18th 04, 06:12 AM
Paul Lawler

"Cactus88" wrote in news:8%sUc.19875$nu2.17502
@fe2.texas.rr.com:

Hi all,
I am looking forward to getting a nice sized telescope sometime
in the not too distant future. But in the meantime, I would like to
enjoy the profound beauty of the Universe virtually, by way of my
very capable PC. Does anyone know of any good freeware astronomy
programs out there? Especially where one could sort of "fly" through
the stars, taking in the marvelous sites. Not so much just static pics
of astrological objects. Clear Skies!

Well... it's not "free" but it's only $29. Starry Night Deep Space
Explorer allows the fly through the universe experience you are looking
for.