KSC to activate new security gates and open new roadway

Old July 28th 03, 05:56 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default KSC to activate new security gates and open new roadway

NASA News
National Aeronautics and
Space Administration

John F. Kennedy Space Center
Kennedy Space Center, Florida 32899
AC 321 867-2468
_____________________________
For Release: July 28, 2003

Tracy Young
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321/867-2468

KSC Release No: 65-03

KSC TO ACTIVATE NEW SECURITY GATES AND OPEN NEW ROADWAY, SPACE COMMERCE WAY

Kennedy Space Center (KSC) has completed the construction of two new
security gates on State Road 3 and State Road 405, complementing the opening
of the Space Commerce Park and a new roadway. The new roadway, named Space
Commerce Way, will provide an alternate route for the general public between
Titusville and Merritt Island. The roadway will be accessible by the general
public 24 hours a day.

The new gates and roadway are scheduled to open Aug. 1. The new roadway will
also serve north Merritt Island and other barrier island residents as part
of the hurricane evacuation route.

"Since the tragic events of Sept. 11, 2001, we've been at a higher level of
security at the Center," said Roy Bridges Jr., KSC director. "We are very
happy that the moving of our security gates and the opening of Space
Commerce Way will give Brevard County residents and area visitors easier
access around the county without compromising security. It's a win-win
situation for all of us."

The current security gates have been in existence since the early days of
KSC and will be removed after their deactivation. The opening of the new
roadway marks the beginning of a new era as Space Commerce Park, accessed
via Space Commerce Way, anticipates its opening soon.

NASA Security Chief Calvin Burch will entertain questions from the media on
Wednesday, July 30, at 10 a.m. at the new gate entrance on State Road 3.
Media interested in speaking with Mr. Burch are requested to contact the KSC
Press Site at 321/867-2468 before close of business on Tuesday, July 29, for
details.

- end -

----

Jacques :-)