Webb and Apollo 8

Old May 15th 05, 03:09 AM
OM

Default Webb and Apollo 8

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:45:56 -0500, rk
wrote:

The general impression I got from this section, which includes the segment
above, was that Webb didn't want the risk on his watch, if I read it
correctly. Paine is quoted as saying "he was horrified." Is that an accurate
reading? Are there other sources on this decision?

....Murray & Cox claim this, but IIRC Andy C, Gene Kranz, and Chris
Kraft also make allusions to this. Sy? If you're reading this, what's
your take on this issue?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 16th 05, 04:16 PM
Sy Liebergot Sy Liebergot is offline
Member

Location: Houston, TX

I would't know, OM. However, on page 79 of my book, "Apollo EECOM," I have a quote from a 1962 meeting between Webb and JFK in which "he (Webb) didn't feel a Moon landing should be NASA's top priority," to which Kennedy disagreed. Since the Moon was not at the top of his list to begin with, then I suppose one could conjecture that he was "horrified" at the seeming huge early risk that the Apollo 8 mission represented.--My 2 sense.
Sy Liebergot
"Apollo EECOM: Journey Of A Lifetime"
www.apolloeecom.com
Old May 24th 05, 07:08 PM
Henry Spencer

Sy Liebergot wrote:
...on page 79 of my book, "Apollo EECOM," I
have a quote from a 1962 meeting between Webb and JFK in which "he
(Webb) didn't feel a Moon landing should be NASA's top priority," to
which Kennedy disagreed...

Careful here. If you believe Dewar's analysis in "To The End Of The Solar
System", there are hidden agendas there, and that conversation shouldn't
be taken at face value.

Kennedy is trying to get Webb to say that Apollo is NASA's top priority --
specifically, that it has priority over long-lead preparations for
*post-Apollo* programs, like development of a nuclear rocket engine. In
other words, that it's a one-shot project.

Webb is balking, since it was then official Administration policy that
Apollo was only the first step of an aggressive long-term space program,
and Webb was deeply committed to this. Apollo being only the first step,
it can't be allowed to ride roughshod over preparations for later steps.
The broad advance into space that Apollo is part of is top priority, but
Apollo in isolation is not.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |