Yes folks, its uksa Oscar time agian

Old March 31st 04, 08:07 PM
Martin Frey

Default Yes folks, its uksa Oscar time agian

The winner of the uksa champion poster will be announced shortly.

Like its counterpart in Hollywood, this award is hotly contested and,
as in Hollywood, bribery is not merely allowed but encouraged. That
nice Mr Gibson has already sent me 30 (used) pieces of silver.

So get those fingers tapping and those fivers to the usual address.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old April 1st 04, 03:49 PM
Martin Frey

After eliminating long posts (over 500 lines), duplicates and
crosspostings, uksa received 15,037 posts (3% up on last year).

Subjective impression that spam and other rubbish was down, general
quality up on last year. But we did have a transit of mercury, an
annular eclipse, Mars closest approach, Beagle, Spirit and
Opportunity: a bumper year for the solar system.

Peak day for posting is Wednesday, peak time 10pm

The longest thread, 81 posts, was
Why are most galaxies and solar systems 'flat'?
started by Dickison at hawaii dot rr dot com on23rd October 2003

The rules for champion poster are simple

1: The adjudicator is always right
2: in case of dispute, rule 1 applies.

Unfortunately the most prolific poster this year has been disqualified
for excessive triviality, leaving

news05footfrommouth at astunit dotcom

in pole position for the third year running, by a small margin (made
larger by the posts from astunits enormous family. Does he ever sleep?
(Oh yes he does...)

This poster will, as usual, receive a large number of books, signed
and donated by the author, Stephen Tonkin. Congratulations and many
thanks for an amazing set of informative and helpful posts for every
level of astronomers and wannabees.

Runner up, and within a gnats of disqualification, chris.b

In 3rd place, Pete Lawrence - inspirational posts on the lunar
parallax and on how to stay focussed in adversity.

Keep up the good work - I still can't believe I've read over 15,000
posts @ 41 per day. Must get out more.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old April 1st 04, 03:54 PM
gp.skinner

After eliminating long posts (over 500 lines), duplicates and
crosspostings, uksa received 15,037 posts (3% up on last year).

So you eliminated 15,000 of my posts because they were over 500 lines long?
Surely my 8,000 line post on the importance of using your star chart the
right way up should have won an award.

Graeme

Old April 1st 04, 04:15 PM
Martin Frey

"gp.skinner" wrote:

After eliminating long posts (over 500 lines), duplicates and
crosspostings, uksa received 15,037 posts (3% up on last year).

So you eliminated 15,000 of my posts because they were over 500 lines long?
Surely my 8,000 line post on the importance of using your star chart the
right way up should have won an award.

Graeme

Yours were eliminated on the cross-posting criterion: not so much
cross posts as bloody livid. Go take some Prozac.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk