Full Moon Locations ?

Old November 4th 14, 08:30 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Bob[_11_]

Default Full Moon Locations ?

Hello,

From my location, I see the New "Full Moon" at roughly ESE.

New at this, so please put up with a dumb question:

Will the Full Moon" ever appear at other compass points for me ?

e.g., will it ever be in an orientation of say due N or W from Me ?

Couldn't find a good link that clearly shows this.
Suggestion for ?

Thanks,
B.
Old November 4th 14, 11:44 PM posted to alt.astronomy
palsing[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:31:02 AM UTC-8, Bob wrote:
Hello,

From my location, I see the New "Full Moon" at roughly ESE.

New at this, so please put up with a dumb question:

Will the Full Moon" ever appear at other compass points for me ?

e.g., will it ever be in an orientation of say due N or W from Me ?

Couldn't find a good link that clearly shows this.
Suggestion for ?

Thanks,
B.

It is complicated, but if you can handle the science, see this...

http://iol.ie/~geniet/eng/moonperb.htm

The short answer is that the full moon can occur at any time of the day and in a nearly infinite number of directions, withing certain limits.

The moon in general has a maximum and minimum declination over the course of time, see this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_standstill

\Paul A
Old November 4th 14, 11:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Barry Schwarz[_2_]

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 14:30:58 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hello,

From my location, I see the New "Full Moon" at roughly ESE.

Unless you are talking about the exact instant when the full moon
occurs, you should see it all night long as it rises roughly in the
east and sets in the west.

The moon stays fairly close to the ecliptic. The full moon is on the
opposite side of the Earth from the sun and therefore appears higher
in the sky during winter and lower during summer. You don't say where
you are but since the sun is currently south of the equator the moon
should be rising in the ENE and setting in the WNW.

New at this, so please put up with a dumb question:

Will the Full Moon" ever appear at other compass points for me ?

When the full moon crosses your local meridian, it should appear
directly north of you, south of you, or overhead, depending on your
latitude and the time of year.

e.g., will it ever be in an orientation of say due N or W from Me ?

Full moons that occur near the equinoxes will appear to rise in the
east and set in the west. If you are located below the tropic of
cancer, at least one full moon per year will appear directly north of
you when it crosses you local meridian.

Couldn't find a good link that clearly shows this.
Suggestion for ?

Try googling "direction of moon rise".

--
Remove del for email
Old November 5th 14, 12:18 AM posted to alt.astronomy
a425couple

"Bob" wrote in message...
Hello,
From my location, I see the New "Full Moon" at roughly ESE.

To try to be clear, at the moment you were looking (and perhaps posting)
the moon was showing as a "Full Moon" and was appearing
to you, rising above the horizon, while you were looking in a ESE direction.

I bet 5 hours later, it was appearing to you as still a "Full Moon"
and was pretty high overhead.
I bet 9 or 10 hours later, it was appearing to you as still a "Full Moon"
and was close to setting below the horizon in the West (perhaps WSW?).

I bet 14 days later, the moon will appear to you as a 'sliver'
or small arc. However it will still raise up above the Eastern horizon,
but you will probably need to be looking at the sky about
12 hours earlier or later than when you saw it first.
And, around 10 hours later, it will go towards, and then fall
below the Western horizon out of sight.

New at this, so please put up with a dumb question:
Will the Full Moon" ever appear at other compass points for me ?
e.g., will it ever be in an orientation of say due N or W from Me ?

As long as you are standing on the earth, and well away from the
north or south pole, the moon will always rise up into your sight
from somewhere on the Eastern horizon.
It will always go down out of your sight somewhere on the Western
horizon (W, or WSW, or WNW). The exact compas points will vary.

Couldn't find a good link that clearly shows this.
Suggestion for ?

Here are some that may help:

My favorite, shows and explains what you can see each night!
http://earthsky.org/tonight

Why does the moon change shape?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhokvJZFURg

The Earth,Moon and Sun System
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssA7Ew_BQHY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_orbit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon

"What and where is the dark side of the moon?"
http://science.howstuffworks.com/dark-side-of-moon2.htm

From "earthsky" for Nov. 6:
"Full moon on November 6 stays out all night long.
the full moon will stay up all night tonight and sleep in all day tomorrow.
From sundown to sunup, the moon will follow the path of the early
May sun across the sky tonight. Watch it rise in the east around sunset
this evening and set in the west around sunrise tomorrow. At midnight,
when the sun lurks beneath our feet, the moon will assume the position
of the noonday sun in early May."

Old November 5th 14, 12:26 AM posted to alt.astronomy
a425couple

"Barry Schwarz" wrote in message...
Bob wrote:
From my location, I see the New "Full Moon" at roughly ESE.

Unless you are talking about the exact instant when the full moon
occurs, you should see it all night long as it rises roughly in the
east and sets in the west.
The moon stays fairly close to the ecliptic. The full moon is on the
opposite side of the Earth from the sun and therefore appears higher
in the sky during winter and lower during summer. You don't say where
you are but since the sun is currently south of the equator the moon
should be rising in the ENE and setting in the WNW.

Here is a paragraph from earthsky that might further help:
"Because the full moon occurs when the moon is most directly opposite
the sun for the month, the full moon follows nearly the same arc across the
sky that the sun follows six months henceforth. In both the Northern and
Southern Hemispheres, the November full moon will rise in the east-northeast
and set in the west-northwest - just as the sun does in May. In the Northern
Hemisphere, tonight's full moon will soar up high - like the springtime sun.
But south of the equator, the moon will follow the low trajectory of the
late
autumn sun." That is from Nov 6,
http://earthsky.org/tonight/november...ns-path-in-may