Orion PDR slides to mid 2009

Old September 12th 08, 04:58 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

Default Orion PDR slides to mid 2009

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:29:22 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
Von Braun's actions have no bearing whatsoever of the question of
whether or not such problems are unusual.

Since building manned spacecraft shares a lot in common with building
high performance aircraft, when's the last time you heard of a aircraft
coming in significantly _under_ the planned weight? :-)

Actually, I don't think a new airplane has ever even made its first
take-off _at_ the planned weight.

Then there's the difference between predicted and actual drag. I
remember the discussions about how some new fighter, I think the F-16,
was a hundred drag counts over prediction. That's huge, a delta of
0.1 in the drag coefficient. They were moving antennas, replacing the
radome, and doing all sorts of drag-reducing tweaks. It's still a
short-legged airplane, but they did improve it over the original
version.

Mary "Then there's trim drag, which is always wrong"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old September 13th 08, 12:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:58:23 -0700, "Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary
Shafer)" wrote:

Then there's the difference between predicted and actual drag. I
remember the discussions about how some new fighter, I think the F-16,
was a hundred drag counts over prediction.

....The F-14 reportedly had similar issues, but not quite *that* much.
Something like 30 or 40, but it's been a while since I read that one.
A LONG while, in fact :-(

(Dammit, Henry! Come back!)

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old September 14th 08, 07:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer) wrote:
Actually, I don't think a new airplane has ever even made its first
take-off _at_ the planned weight.

Then there's the difference between predicted and actual drag. I
remember the discussions about how some new fighter, I think the F-16,
was a hundred drag counts over prediction. That's huge, a delta of
0.1 in the drag coefficient. They were moving antennas, replacing the
radome, and doing all sorts of drag-reducing tweaks. It's still a
short-legged airplane, but they did improve it over the original
version.

Mary "Then there's trim drag, which is always wrong"

My favorite is still the original prototype of the Su-27 "Flanker".
Sukhoi was supposed to design a aircraft that could beat the performance
of the F-15.
The first prototype proved to be inferior to the F-15 in all major aspects.
Sukhoi went back to the drawing board and made a few "minor
modifications" to the design...
Or, as the chief designer of the Flanker later admitted: "Well, we made
no changes on the wheels of the nose landing gear..."
Anyway, what designer of any combat plane wouldn't think of around a
hundred things they could improve if they had the opportunity to start
right back from the beginning again?
Sukhoi, from necessity, actually got the opportunity to do it. :-D

Pat
Old September 14th 08, 08:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...The F-14 reportedly had similar issues, but not quite *that* much.
Something like 30 or 40, but it's been a while since I read that one.
A LONG while, in fact :-(

(Dammit, Henry! Come back!)

You want to see drag predictions gone wrong, check out the history of
the YF-102:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-102_Delta_Dagger
That was learning the "area rule" of transonic drag reduction design of
airframes the hard way.

Pat