Thank you, anti-SV folks!

Old August 15th 03, 11:19 PM
Chuck Taylor

Default Thank you, anti-SV folks!

"Darren Hennig" wrote in message
om...
I would like to publicly thank the very few, very vocal, prolific
anti-SV folks out there in SAA-land and beyond. I am a very happy SV
customer of three years running, and owner of two finely-crafted
achromats. I do a lot of observing with both, and enjoy them very
much.

If it were not for you all, Mr. Maris would have not perhaps improved
on his website appearances, wording and layout, and most importantly,
his telescope designs. Certainly, he may have considered doing so
later on, but your efforts have allowed him to investigate new
opportunities to make his offerings even better for the money, sooner.
Good news for his customers and patrons!

Further, there have been many new SV owners who have commented over
many months that if it were not for all the numerous and intense
exchanges of information here and elsewhere, they would have possibly
never known of Stellarvue at all. With all this free advertising, Mr.
Maris can save a lot on his marketing budget and put it into R&D. Good
news for all of his current and future customers! SV could not do any
better than what you have done for them, in getting the name out
there...

Finally, thank you all for educating us all on what constitutes a good
telescope. I have learned a lot - I am pretty certain others have
also.

Regards,

Darren Hennig, M.Sc.

You are welcome.

Regards,

Chuck Taylor, B.A., M.A., D.V.D., Ph.D., B.V.D, M&M (plain and peanut)

Old August 16th 03, 01:59 PM
David

It "looks" but is NOT new. You exactly described refurbishing. To the west of Kherson,
such goods is sold at discounted price with a sticker "Refurbished".
Potential buyers, beware.

David

ValeryD wrote:

David wrote in message ...
wrote:

Funny how SV generates such dislike, while companies
like AP, TMB, Aries, Questar don't?
-Rich

Rich,

I dislike Aries' bussines practices because VD sells refurbished
Chromacor as new for full price without disclosure to the buyer.
Vic Maris sells blems on ebay.

David

You simply don't know what is what. If we _exchanged_ the cell,
re-coat the surfaces, assembled and tested it again. It looks absolutely
same as new. No reason to sell them for lower price.

V.D.

Old August 17th 03, 12:46 PM
Brian A

wrote in message

ValeryD wrote:

David wrote in message

Funny how SV generates such dislike, while companies
like AP, TMB, Aries, Questar don't?
-Rich

Rich,

I dislike Aries' bussines practices because VD sells refurbished
Chromacor as new for full price without disclosure to the buyer.
Vic Maris sells blems on ebay.

David

You simply don't know what is what. If we _exchanged_ the cell,
re-coat the surfaces, assembled and tested it again. It looks

absolutely
same as new. No reason to sell them for lower price.

V.D.

We aren't taking about car with a rolled back odometer. I hate to
break it to you, but if some company gets back a product
that has zero flaws, or has an element that when replaced renders the
whole new, then why should they have to sell it as used? Eyepieces
and related items do not "wear out" and if they are worn, it is
clearly visible to any buyer.
-Rich

I beleive this refers to federal law but I'm not certain:

3. Reconditioned, Rebuilt, or Refurbished Goods
As with previously used goods, the reconditioned, rebuilt, or refurbished
nature of the goods must be disclosed prior to any sale. A related issue
arises with new products that contain a part or parts that have been
reconditioned or otherwise previously used. Even if the smallest component
has been refurbished, and the product is inspected to insure that it meets
original factory specifications, you are required to disclose the presence
of the restored component. For example, in a recent case, a computer was
manufacturer was sued for selling computers that contained a reconditioned
computer chip. As should be readily apparent, establishing and maintaining
an inventory control system that tracks and reflects the disposition of
product orders and returned merchandise is essential to avoid violating the
law. This system will enable you to ensure that products are sent to
customers in a timely manner and that returned merchandise is not
automatically restored to inventory without a proper inspection and, where
appropriate, a new label. Aside from complying with the law, you will better
insure that customers are not disappointed with the quality of your product
and that your good reputation remains intact.

It's my understanding that to sell anything that has required even the
slightest repair as new, is illegal in the US.

Brian A

Old September 4th 03, 05:16 PM
lal_truckee

Default Information for buyers of goods from Ukraine

Scott Milner wrote:

I have seen some people on Astromart pass up a perfectly immaculate
eyepiece, for a great price, because of a tiny barrel mark. I buy
eyepieces, filters, etc to actually use, not to display as a collection
in a glass case on the coffee table. There are quite a few items selling
on Astromart for MORE than original cost because someone wants that
particular piece and can't buy new because they aren't made any more.
Such as the Orion 10.5mm Megavista, and for awhile, the Lumicon UHC
filters. I saw one 1.25" UHC sell for $145. Lots of AP APO's sell for
more than cost because of the waiting list.

It is strange, isn't it. Astromart buyers are buying a used astro
products, for use in the field viewing the heavens presumably; yet an
original box is important? What's up with that?

Old September 4th 03, 11:57 PM
Sol Robbins

(David) wrote in message . com...

Yes, there is a reason. The Ukrainian Law on Consumers Rights
Protection:
The seller should provide to the buyer all necessary information
concerning the goods he sells. So in your situation it is violation of
articles 3 and 12 of the Law.

Article 3 of above mentioned Law determines the following rights of
the consumer: the right for the proper quality of goods and for
necessary and true information concerning the goods. And Article 12
says that the consumer has the right to demand that the quality of
goods that corresponds to the information the seller provides.

Once again my advice - contact the holders of refurbished and testing
units and offer them an exchange or some form of compensation. The
problem would be if you do not know where such units ended. One more
reason for having serial numbers.

David

Hi David,

A little story;

For some reason, 3 purchasers of three different Chromacors had
problems setting it up in their own scopes. Consequently, they
contacted me to see about these "flawed Chromacors". They sent them to
me to check out through my scope. All 3 of them worked just fine in
terms of color correction and proper alignment to provide images
without coma. I believe that most scope really don't know much about
DYI collimation, star testing and other finer points of scope
behaviour. this may be especially true with the more or less exotic
items like the Chromacor, as well as some specialty filters. This has
been demonstrated time and again. In scope user groups, folks have
privately asked me to help them or clarify topics just as I have
privately asked some folks to help me.

This said and here it comes..., I believe your problem should be taken
up with the proper authorities either here, (FTC), or in the Ukraine.
Let us know how it turns out.

Since I believe you brought this up in other groups as well as here in
SAA. I guess I can only ask, what do you really want?

Thanks, Sol Robbins