Spring is Galaxy Season

Old June 3rd 17, 11:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

Default Spring is Galaxy Season

Bad weather is finally over, and the skies have cleared here in the Midwest.

This large galaxy, M101, has a huge brightness range, which makes it a challenge to process. I once saw a Palomar glass plate of this object which showed the huge range quite well, because negative film has a non-linear response at the very bright end.

I posted this shot that I did last night as a negative. It shows the very faint extensions better than a normal image. It also brings back memories of the old film days before CCDs. Note the numerous tiny background galaxies.

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...8.jpg&caption=

AP 17" F8 Astrograph
STL11K camera
40 x 5 minute Luminance
AP1600 mount

Razzy

Old June 4th 17, 12:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 11:39:05 PM UTC+1, Razzmatazz wrote:
Bad weather is finally over, and the skies have cleared here in the Midwest.

It is less than 3 weeks to midsummer and there are specific astronomical reasons behind the June Solstice as midsummer in the Northern hemisphere and midwinter in the Southern hemisphere.

It has to do with the relationship between the North and South poles to the circle of illumination and the maximum area where the Sun is in constant view or out of constant view ( Arctic and Antarctic circles).Americans are going to have to learn that daylight/darkness asymmetries and not bound to meteorological conditions of Spring,Summer,Fall,Winter hence heat/cold are not used for defining the seasons.

What I have done is split the daily day/night cycle apart from the polar day/night cycle and used distinct surface rotations to explain both, where they combine we get the seasons.

Of course what is left here are devoid of consideration and compassion but then again they think that a human attribute.

Old June 4th 17, 02:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 3:39:05 PM UTC-7, Razzmatazz wrote:
Bad weather is finally over, and the skies have cleared here in the Midwest.

This large galaxy, M101, has a huge brightness range, which makes it a challenge to process. I once saw a Palomar glass plate of this object which showed the huge range quite well, because negative film has a non-linear response at the very bright end.

I posted this shot that I did last night as a negative. It shows the very faint extensions better than a normal image. It also brings back memories of the old film days before CCDs. Note the numerous tiny background galaxies.

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...8.jpg&caption=

AP 17" F8 Astrograph
STL11K camera
40 x 5 minute Luminance
AP1600 mount

Razzy

Very nice!

At the eyepiece of my 25" F/5 I like to try and identify as many of the individual NGC's and other designations associated with M 101, as shown on this labeled photo (drawing?)...

http://www.deepskyforum.com/attachme...0&d=1432064109

.... it is quite a challenge to get more than about 6 or 8 of these stinkers visually... but that is what the visual aspect of the hobby is all about, IMHO.

I spent a lot of eyepiece time on this guy from about 9200 ft. on the slope of Mauna Kea last month, it was an amazing sub-arcsecond night, I had a 22" f/4.5 at my disposal...

Paul A
Old June 4th 17, 07:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

Indeed! Spring is galaxy season - especially (for visual observers) when there isn't a bright moon in the sky.

Your M101 image shows an impressive range of brightness levels without overly drowning out structures near the core.

An attempt at humor: It really does look like giant black holes reside at the centers of most galaxies! :-)

Sketcher,
To sketch is see.

Old June 5th 17, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 8:06:09 PM UTC-5, palsing wrote:
[...]

Mauna Kea is a great place from which to observe. It is incredibly dark at the 9200 ft. visitor center, especially after the tourists leave and all the lights are turned off. A 22" is just the ticket for deep sky observing up there.

Were you able to see any of the very faint background galaxies around M101?

Razzy
Old June 6th 17, 05:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 9:05:45 AM UTC-7, Razzmatazz wrote:
[...]

Well, we weren't at the Visitor Center itself, but rather we were a couple of hundred yards up a forest service road west of the Visitor Center, where the all-night lights of the VC were not much of a problem.

Yes, I had that labeled chart printed out and was able to identify most of the NGC objects shown thereon, as did many of the other 8 or so observers in attendance. It was a glorious night...

\Paul A