Stellafane 2007 - Breezy Hill

Old August 31st 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default Stellafane 2007 - Breezy Hill

The picture shows the Stellafane "Pink Clubhouse Observatory" on Breezy
Hill, Springfield, Vermont. Note that the fully functional scope at the
right is made entirely of Legos toy blocks!!

Over the next week or so I will post a series of pictures my friend Art and
I took at the recent Stellafane Telescope Makers' Convention. I'll start
with "scenic views" that many of you may be familiar with, then over future
days I'll post pictures of the scopes and people at the convention. This can
only be a small sample of what is a very large event that draws nearly 2,000
people from around the world.

If you don't know what "Stellafane" is, read this page on their website:
http://www.stellafane.com/about/index.html

Or, here is the write-up I did for the Kopernik Observatory website:

The Stellafane Convention is a gathering of amateur telescope makers started
in 1926 to give an opportunity to gather to show off homemade scopes and
teach each other telescope making and mirror-grinding techniques. Since then
it has grown into the largest, oldest, and most famous gathering of amateur
astronomers in the world. While telescope making is still the primary focus,
Stellafane offers an excellent opportunity to observe with amateurs from
around the world under dark Vermont skies. KAS Members camp and observe
together, and many KAS'ers that have moved away from the Binghamton area
gather at Stellafane for a reunion. Stellafane can best be described as
"Woodstock for Astronomers".

George Normandin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breezy Hill.jpg (378.3 KB, 106 views)