Astro: Ngc 2835

Old April 7th 17, 10:07 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default Astro: Ngc 2835

NGC 2835 is a large (6 arcminutes) galaxy in Hydra. It's southern spiral arms look like they have been distorted by some other galaxy, but no neighbour was visible in my image that could be responsible for this. That's why I have cropped the image to full HD size, there was nothing but stars in the field.

The small pixels of my ASI 1600 camera gave me an image scale of 0.98 arcseconds/pixel with only 800mm focal length.

Taken from La Palma with a Pentax 125 SDP refractor (800mm focal length) on an AZ-EQ6 mount, ASI1600MM cool camera, 48x5min Lum, 30x5min R, 32x5min each G and B.

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2835colourcropneugut.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	658.8 KB
ID:	6554
Old April 8th 17, 05:24 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Nice one.

That one is a degree lower than NGC 5068. Just enough to put the bottom of my aperture below the observatory wall. While I didn't mention it 5068 was below the wall for the RGB data but not the luminance, another reason I saved that for nearest the meridian. I can't reach the meridian this low due to my "Meridian Tree" the lakeshore rules won't allow me to cut down or trim in any way. Being that extra degree down I've not put it on my to-do list though your image shows it well worth the effort if I ever get seeing that low. Too far west to do now as that low I can't work west of the meridian as there are other trees that low that partly block things (pine needles make for nasty diffraction spikes) and the scope would be 50% blocked by the observatory wall once it cleared those trees.

Rick