So what went bang?

Old September 2nd 16, 11:07 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff[_3_]

Default So what went bang?

Did you mean to post this three times?
Anyway somebody pointed me to a recording of the explosion and a guy
commenting about it afterwards and it was not really one explosion but a
series. the word seems to be it was ground equipment based where the fire
started but soon spread to the tanks. a might careless. I doubt in if the
Israeli owners of the sat are very amused or those who will have to repair
the ground equipment and launch pad damage.

Still these things happen when handling volatile liquids and to me it
seems a little daft to do first time live firings on the vehicle with the
payload on top, even if it was only supposed to be a very short one. You
only need a tiny leak and a spark with these very cold hd propellants after
all.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
lid says...

Did Space X leave the fuel cap off again..:-)

Looks like the fire started near the 2nd stage LOX tank. Anything
beyond that is pure speculation.

The silver lining is that the fire was slow enough that if there had
been a Dragon 2 on top, its abort system would surely have pulled it
away from the Falcon (and parachuted it into the ocean) long before it
lost all structural integrity. Someone else online posted a video made
by superimposing the Dragon 2 launch escape test on top of the Falcon 9
fire to support this assertion.

Jeff

(no, he doesn’t) (yes, he does) BANG BANG Arc Michael Misc 0 May 14th 16 08:49 PM
Big Bang Antares 531 Astronomy Misc 53 September 18th 10 07:34 PM
Redshift and Microwave radiation favor Atom Totality and disfavorBig Bang #9; ATOM TOTALITY (Atom Universe) theory; replaces Big Bang theory Net-Teams, Astronomy Misc 1 May 31st 10 05:19 PM
B, Big, Big Bang, Big Bang Books... socalsw Amateur Astronomy 6 June 7th 04 09:17 AM
BIG BANG really a Big Bang BUST Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 27 November 7th 03 11:38 AM