Still lower noise radio astronomy (was: low-noise amplifiers for radio astronomy )

Old September 12th 06, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Peritas

Default Still lower noise radio astronomy (was: low-noise amplifiers for radio astronomy )

John (Liberty) Bell wrote:
Peritas wrote:
[Mod. note: entire quoted thread removed -- mjh]

I apologize in advance, but I haven't taken the time to read this
entire thread. So hopefully I won't repeat something already
discussed.

Why approach this problem from the point-of-view of currents and
voltages? Why not use S-parameters?

Also, for the LNAs that I'm aware of, there is no resitance in the
first-stage matching network. Just conductive and inductive
impedances.

Quite. What we started discussing, before simplifying matters, was the
internal capacitance of the transistor gate, the resistance to which
that connects internally, and the desirability of achieving impedance
matching of that with the source impedance. The reason we switched to
discussing pure resistances was that George pointed out that correct
choice of inductors would cancel out capacitance at the designed centre
frequency, thus leaving pure resistances to worry about for impedance
matching.

Well, from my point-of-view, this is how I think of the initial steps
to designing an LNA. (Incidentally, I think this post will address
some of George's comments that he made independently in response to my
"s-parameter" post mentioned above.)

1. Obtain an s-parameter model and noise model for the FET that you
plan to use. You can then take this info and use it to plot the
optimal input return loss (IRL) match of the FET and the optimal noise
match of the FET on a Smith chart. All of the internal resistances,
inductances, and capacitances of the FET are included in this
information.

2. For an LNA, one starts with the input stage matching network. You
know that there will be a 50ohm load connected to the input of the
entire amp (unless a different load is spec'd), and by this point, you
know what load you need to present to the 1st stage FET to get a good
IRL and a good noise figure. Now, the first problem is that the
optimal IRL match will not be the optimal noise match. In many cases,
a shunt inductor hanging off the FET's source pads is used to pull
these two points closer together on the Smith chart.

3. At this point, one can start using capacitors and inductors to match
the outside 50ohm load to the IRL/Noise load(s) of the FET (which are
now closer together, but still not on top of each other).

4. Of course, one must consider stability, gain, and whatever else is
spec'd by the end-user. Also, once one adds stages after the 1st stage
FET, some of steps 1-3 will need to be re-tweaked b/c the FET's
isolation is not infinite. Oh, and one does not want to through away
gain in the first stage. The noise contribution of subsequent stages
is reduced by the amount of gain in the first stage!

The key is to match the input matching network to the optimal noise
match of the first-stage transistor. The trade-off is that this tends
to hurt input return losses of the amp, but luckily some inductive
feedback will fix that.

This raises an interesting point that I was wondering about. If we
consider, for simplicity, the idealised situation where the input
transistor is replaced by an op amp, then the ratio of negative
feedback Z / souce Z, not only defines the gain, but also reduces the
effective input resistence at the inverting amplifier terminal to zero
(virtual earth). How does that consequence of negative feedback affect
the impedance balancing we have been discussing?

John

I'm not sure how to answer this question specifically, but does step #2
help by analogy?

Remind me now. What is the original purpose/intent of this thread?
Maybe my answers regarding LNA design are too generalized.

Regards
Old September 13th 06, 09:13 AM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

Peritas wrote:

The key is to match the input matching network to the optimal noise
match of the first-stage transistor. The trade-off is that this tends
to hurt input return losses of the amp, but luckily some inductive
feedback will fix that. So, basically you have
Noise Figure = Minimum Noise Figure of Transistor + (terms related to
impedance matching)

Yes, that is conventional (for good reasons) but the
question John is asking is whether, if we are prepared
to tolerate a high value of S11, we can get a small
improvement in SNR when considering only the limiting
thermal noise in the real part of the input impedance.

Why kill S11 for a *small* improvement in SNR? (Perhaps I do need to
take the time to review this thread more closely.)

It is a theoretical question. The main topic is that John
believes he has a method that can cancel out thermal
noise. He has mentioned obtaining a 20dB improvement
in the past so his technique would take an LNA with a
noise figure of say 2dB and turn it into a -18dB. He isn't
sharing the details but apparently the requirement for
matching the input is of interest to him.

HTH
George
Old September 13th 06, 09:13 AM posted to sci.astro.research
John (Liberty) Bell

I think it is probably best to respond to these points from Peritas, in
approximately reverse order.

Peritas wrote:

Remind me now. What is the original purpose/intent of this thread?

For me, the purpose of the thread is to facilitate my evaluation of a
technique I hit upon for supressing preamplifier noise. This still
appears to be radically different from anything hitherto published.

Maybe my answers regarding LNA design are too generalized.

More probably not. If I understand correctly, you are describing
standard methods for optimising SNR which were presumably used for LNAs
that are already in use. Without being particularly familiar with what
those methods are, I was able to derive, from information kindly
provided, that my technique could improve on such performance, by a
further 20 dB or so. However, in order to ensure that I can achieve
that 20 dB improvement in practice, I need to ensure that I too also
employ the most appropriate of those known optimisation techniques,
within the context of my own design.

John (Liberty) Bell wrote:

This raises an interesting point that I was wondering about. If we
consider, for simplicity, the idealised situation where the input
transistor is replaced by an op amp, then the ratio of negative
feedback Z / souce Z, not only defines the gain, but also reduces the
effective input resistance at the inverting amplifier terminal to zero
(virtual earth). How does that consequence of negative feedback affect
the impedance balancing we have been discussing?

I'm not sure how to answer this question specifically, but does step #2
help by analogy?

More informative for me were points B and C of the 4th paragraph of my
posting of Tues, Sep 12 2006 5:17 pm, obtained by reading the last
reference given by George.

Peritas wrote separately in response to :

Why kill S11 for a *small* improvement in SNR? (Perhaps I do need to
take the time to review this thread more closely.)

ANY available improvement in SNR is worth having in principle, because
this is what defines the limit of range for intelligible processing of
information. Further amplification of a signal is relatively cheap and
easy. It is removal of the noise proportion near the input which is
more tricky (AKA costly). (We have already established, for example,
that the cryo-coolers tend to cost more than the entire electronics,
within pre-existing state of the art preamp designs).
Without asking and examining the foregoing and related questions, we do
not know for sure how small *small* is, or whether it is worth having
in practice.

Regards
John Bell
(Change John to Liberty to bypass anti-spam email filter)
Old September 13th 06, 09:14 AM posted to sci.astro.research
John (Liberty) Bell

John (Liberty) Bell wrote:
wrote:

The following also discusses "themal noise canceling"
though perhaps not in the sense that John means:

http://amsacta.cib.unibo.it/archive/...1/GA043200.PDF

George

Although these papers were both interesting and potentially relevant in
their own right, there are several additional points I think worth
mentioning.

In specific relation to
http://amsacta.cib.unibo.it/archive/...1/GA043200.PDF, although
the authors claim to be describing a CMOS LNA in the abstract, it turns
out in the paper that they have only described NMOS and bipolar in
practice.

For those who don't understand the difference (which appears to include
these authors), a CMOS amplifier (or digital switch) stage comprises
the conductive channels of an n type and a p type MOSFET connected in
series (typically across the power rails), whilst their respective
gates are connected in parallel, such that when one is switched on, the
other is switched off, with a mutually conductive (approximately
linear) region there between.

I would like to correct myself on a minor technical point here. The
defining characteristic of CMOS is a mix of n type and a p type MOSFETs
which operate in a complimentary manner.

If the authors have actually used any such mix of MOSFETs in their
implimentation, they certainly managed to obscure that fact from the
reader, by using an identical representation for every MOSFET in the
paper. If so, this level of potential ambiguity for every transistor,
makes their circuit diagrams extremely difficult to interpret.

Old September 13th 06, 09:15 AM posted to sci.astro.research
John (Liberty) Bell

Peritas wrote:

[...]

This approach sounds different to the use (at lower frequencies), of an
impedance matching transformer here, or the equivalent pcb 'squiggle'
suggested by George for an equivalent impedance matching at higher
frequencies . That sounded like quite a neat approach to me. Or have I
misunderstood precisely what is involved in George's 'squiggle'?

4. Of course, one must consider stability, gain, and whatever else is
spec'd by the end-user. Also, once one adds stages after the 1st stage
FET, some of steps 1-3 will need to be re-tweaked b/c the FET's
isolation is not infinite.

I imagine that such re-tweaking might need to be more drastic if global
negative feedback is employed, unless, of course, you can factor that
in from the outset.

Oh, and one does not want to through away
gain in the first stage. The noise contribution of subsequent stages
is reduced by the amount of gain in the first stage!

Generally speaking, that is one of the advantages of global negative
feedback, as opposed to local negative feedback applied to the first
stage. However, I noticed from
http://amsacta.cib.unibo.it/archive/...1/GA043200.PDF that
concern was expressed over potential instability introduced by this
method. That surprised me because that problem always has to be
addressed in negative feedback designs. Typically, at some frequency
significantly above the design freq. of the amp, negative feedback
changes to positive feedback due to phase shifts at such higher
frequencies. This problem is typically solved by damping out such
potentially oscillatory higher frequencies. Is there something about RF
design which makes such a solution more tricky at RF frequencies?

Old September 13th 06, 09:15 AM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

John (Liberty) Bell wrote:
wrote:

snip

http://www.imec.be/esscirc/esscirc20...gs/data/76.pdf

The following also discusses "themal noise canceling"
though perhaps not in the sense that John means:

http://amsacta.cib.unibo.it/archive/...1/GA043200.PDF

Although these papers were both interesting and potentially relevant in
their own right, there are several additional points I think worth
mentioning.

In specific relation to
http://amsacta.cib.unibo.it/archive/...1/GA043200.PDF, although
the authors claim to be describing a CMOS LNA in the abstract, it turns
out in the paper that they have only described NMOS and bipolar in
practice.

Actually the paper title says it is a review of noise
cancelling techniques.

For those who don't understand the difference (which appears to include
these authors), a CMOS amplifier (or digital switch) stage comprises
the conductive channels of an n type and a p type MOSFET connected in
series (typically across the power rails), whilst their respective
gates are connected in parallel, such that when one is switched on, the
other is switched off, with a mutually conductive (approximately
linear) region there between.

What John says is true but in this case there is a bit
of industry jargon involved. What the paper says is
"A wide-band LNA according to the concept of fig. 3b
was designed in a 0.25um standard CMOS process."

Silicon fabs are built to maufacture a specific process
and CMOS is used for the vast majority of consumer
devices and is much cheaper than alternatives such
as GaAs that are used in high speed work. What the
article says is that the chip was built on a standard
CMOS production line.

Having said that, I note, more importantly, from section C of this
paper:
A) That impedance matching and noise minimisation are indeed not the
same thing, as I suggested in a recent response from me to George.

I was wrong. I missed the fact that Rs shunts Rp when
calculating the noise voltage. The cosequence is that
the SNR is asymptotic to a factor of 2 better than the
matched condition at infinite mismatch.

B) That negative feedback can and has been employed to break this
trade-off (as I already had in mind [as fine detailing] within a
practical implementation of my design)

That was what I was really bringing to your attention
as a pointer to the state of "prior art" that you have
previously mentioned.

C) That global negative feedback will indeed change Zin, as I suggested
was also an important consideration in my response to Peritas.

Finally I can confirm that George was correct in guessing that these
papers have nothing to do with my central noise suppression proposal.
Nevertheless, I cannot currently see why such methods could not be used
in conjunction with that proposal, if desired.

That was my hope, that these articles would give you
a guide to the performance of a good off-the-shelf LNA
that you could use as a "black box" and around which
you could apply your technique. The noise figures are
"2db" for CMOS or 1.53dB for bipolar in one paper
and 1.8db (minimum) in the other so assuming a
feasible range of 1.5dB to 2.0dB is justifiable.

If your technique can achieve just 6dB cancellation of
the noise but requires a mismatch causing a further
3dB signal loss, you would still end up with an overall
NF better than -1dB.

My question would be whether NF 0dB violates the
laws of thermodynamics, but the answer isn't obvious.

George
Old September 13th 06, 01:46 PM posted to sci.astro.research
John (Liberty) Bell

wrote:
John (Liberty) Bell wrote:

(Note to readers. The second half of this response is more directly
pertinent to the general topic than the specifics of technology
responded to immediately below.)

In specific relation to
http://amsacta.cib.unibo.it/archive/...1/GA043200.PDF, although
the authors claim to be describing a CMOS LNA in the abstract, it turns
out in the paper that they have only described NMOS and bipolar in
practice.

Actually the paper title says it is a review of noise
cancelling techniques.

Yes. What threw me was the specific claim in the abstract that the
technique was applied to fabricate CMOS LNAs. On closer reading, this
still appears to be untrue.

For those who don't understand the difference (which appears to include
these authors), a CMOS amplifier (or digital switch) stage comprises
the conductive channels of an n type and a p type MOSFET connected in
series (typically across the power rails), whilst their respective
gates are connected in parallel, such that when one is switched on, the
other is switched off, with a mutually conductive (approximately
linear) region there between.

Note my 1 minute earlier above correction to that statement. Analog
transmission gates are an obvious example of the original definition
being excessively narrow.

What John says is true but in this case there is a bit
of industry jargon involved. What the paper says is
"A wide-band LNA according to the concept of fig. 3b
was designed in a 0.25um standard CMOS process."

Silicon fabs are built to maufacture a specific process
and CMOS is used for the vast majority of consumer
devices and is much cheaper than alternatives such
as GaAs that are used in high speed work.

Although I too was (and still am) a great enthusiast for CMOS, I think
you are probably over icing the cake a little here. NMOS was, and
probably still is, cheaper than CMOS since it involves both less
process steps, and wafer real estate. Since many consumer products are
extremely price sensitive, CMOS penetration has been less comprehensive
than I would have hoped, by now. This, I suggest, is largely why a
disgracefully high proportion of cheap products still infuriatingly
manage to forget what they were supposed to be doing, as soon as the
power is interrupted.

What the
article says is that the chip was built on a standard
CMOS production line.

If so, it seems that this was just because that happened to be the
production line they had convenient access to. If the diagrams are
anything to go by, they merely implimented NMOS technology on that
production line, in practice. Either the abstract writer only skipped
through the paper and didn't realise that, or the misleading sentence
was inserted intentionally, in order to gain kudos from the 'hip-ness'
of a production line they had only partially used, in practice. ; )

Having said that, I note, more importantly, from section C of this
paper:

snip to the chase

B) That negative feedback can and has been employed to break this
trade-off (as I already had in mind [as fine detailing] within a
practical implementation of my design)

That was what I was really bringing to your attention
as a pointer to the state of "prior art" that you have
previously mentioned.

Cheers. Yet again you have been extremely helpful. I would dearly love
to look into this specific aspect of the prior art in greater detail,
but as yet have found no relevant hyperlinks to click.

C) That global negative feedback will indeed change Zin, as I suggested
was also an important consideration in my response to Peritas.

Finally I can confirm that George was correct in guessing that these
papers have nothing to do with my central noise suppression proposal.
Nevertheless, I cannot currently see why such methods could not be used
in conjunction with that proposal, if desired.

That was my hope, that these articles would give you
a guide to the performance of a good off-the-shelf LNA
that you could use as a "black box" and around which
you could apply your technique.

Quite, and thanks again. However, if we are talking specifics of
actually physically building the prototype, paper 1 would definitely
require access to and control of the masks on a chip production line,
and paper 2 probably would too because, although not declared therein,
I would guess that the noise figures quoted are dependent on a tight
matching of transistors that can only be achieved by fabrication on a
single chip.

From prior experience I know that such control of a commercial

production line would be prohibitively expensive for a 'DIY' proof that
an inventive idea works (at the required frequencies). One therefore
needs to convince the chip manufacturer that the product could earn
them millions. Our only prior experience in this area was with a RAM
design which had a potential commercial market of $billions. In
comparison, LNAs for radio astronomy are very small potatoes.

However, I do not think this is the central point. To prove that the
idea works (and to sell a few superior products to particularly
discerning customers) we only need to take any reasonable design, and
apply the inventive principle to it. Having said that, it makes sense
to include every economically viable technique within the prior art,
within that process. The problem with techniques which specifically
require IC innovation and integration, is that the economic benefits of
chip integration only become apparent on large volume turnover. It is,
therefore, much better if you can do it discretely initially, and then
take advantage of the economies of scale (and still improved
performance), once the volume of demand eventually justifies this.

The noise figures are
"2db" for CMOS or 1.53dB for bipolar in one paper
and 1.8db (minimum) in the other so assuming a
feasible range of 1.5dB to 2.0dB is justifiable.

Oh dear. After having to switch from my understanding of dB to Noise
Temperature, I find that we are now back to dB again (but not as I know
it, Jim)
If my understanding is correct, dB is a relative (logarithmic) measure,
the magnitude (and sign) of which depends on your choice of reference
point. In contrast, dBm is defined as an absolute measure.

If your technique can achieve just 6dB cancellation of
the noise but requires a mismatch causing a further
3dB signal loss, you would still end up with an overall
NF better than -1dB.

Quite.

My question would be whether NF 0dB violates the
laws of thermodynamics, but the answer isn't obvious.

Very true. One of the reasons why I chose a 20 dB improvement as a
target figure for the prototype was that I had already noticed, on the
basis of the last reference given by Jonathan Thornburg (in the first
posting), that this would bring us within a whisker of the there
quoted theoretical minimum noise T ( + or -, depending on freq., within
the range)

My opinion is that I stand a better than fighting chance of geting
beyond that theoretical limit, on the basis of my own calculations.
That would mean that the theory is wrong, because the theorists failed
to consider the angle I am exploiting. That should suffice, hopefully,
to prove to every patent examiner in the world, that the inventive step
was not obvious.

John Bell
http://accelerators.co.uk
(Change John to Liberty to bypass anti-spam email filter)
Old September 13th 06, 06:14 PM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

John (Liberty) Bell wrote:
wrote:
John (Liberty) Bell wrote:

(Note to readers. The second half of this response is more directly
pertinent to the general topic than the specifics of technology
responded to immediately below.)

I'll trim a lot where it is no longer
contentious.

[...]

I don't think you understand the current split. I found
a list of fabs:

http://www.semizone.com/fab/advance.tcl

In the 'technology' box enter NMOS and you find
17 fabs. Enter CMOS and it returns 665 fabs, 97.5%
of the total. The search doesn't give a total for wafers
but I guess it is probably at least as high a percentage.

The point is that specialist fabs like SiGe or GaAs
are much more expensive.

What the
article says is that the chip was built on a standard
CMOS production line.

If so, it seems that this was just because that happened to be the
production line they had convenient access to.

Yes, undoubtedly.

If the diagrams are
anything to go by, they merely implimented NMOS technology on that
production line, in practice.

That's right.

Either the abstract writer only skipped
through the paper and didn't realise that, or the misleading sentence
was inserted intentionally, in order to gain kudos from the 'hip-ness'
of a production line they had only partially used, in practice. ; )

I think you are mis-reading the statement to say they
"implemented a CMOS LNA" when in fact it only says
they "implemented an LNA in a CMOS process". The
captions on the figures say "CMOS LNA" but I read that
as just shorthand.

That was my hope, that these articles would give you
a guide to the performance of a good off-the-shelf LNA
that you could use as a "black box" and around which
you could apply your technique.

Quite, and thanks again. However, if we are talking specifics of
actually physically building the prototype, paper 1 would definitely
require access to and control of the masks on a chip production line,
and paper 2 probably would too because, although not declared therein,
I would guess that the noise figures quoted are dependent on a tight
matching of transistors that can only be achieved by fabrication on a
single chip.

In one paper figure 6 is a photo of the 860um by
610um chip they made on the CMOS line:

http://www.imec.be/esscirc/esscirc20...gs/data/76.pdf

In the other, fig 6 shows the circuit of the 478um
by 500um chip they made on a "15GHz industrial
bipolar process."

http://amsacta.cib.unibo.it/archive/...1/GA043200.PDF

From prior experience I know that such control of a commercial

production line would be prohibitively expensive for a 'DIY' proof that
an inventive idea works (at the required frequencies). One therefore
needs to convince the chip manufacturer that the product could earn
them millions.

Nope, you give them the dsign and they charge
you for making it. For propotypes, there are
companies that will put your sample with other
peoples and do smaller quantities but it is still
expensive of course. That's where simulation
is needed to get you backing and/or grants.

snip

The noise figures are
"2db" for CMOS or 1.53dB for bipolar in one paper
and 1.8db (minimum) in the other so assuming a
feasible range of 1.5dB to 2.0dB is justifiable.

Oh dear. After having to switch from my understanding of dB to Noise
Temperature, I find that we are now back to dB again (but not as I know
it, Jim)

More later - I have to go .....

George
Old September 14th 06, 10:31 AM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

John (Liberty) Bell wrote:
wrote:
John (Liberty) Bell wrote:

contd. ...

The noise figures are
"2db" for CMOS or 1.53dB for bipolar in one paper
and 1.8db (minimum) in the other so assuming a
feasible range of 1.5dB to 2.0dB is justifiable.

Oh dear. After having to switch from my understanding of dB to Noise
Temperature, I find that we are now back to dB again (but not as I know
it, Jim)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_figure

If my understanding is correct, dB is a relative (logarithmic) measure,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

the magnitude (and sign) of which depends on your choice of reference
point. In contrast, dBm is defined as an absolute measure.

dBm is dB relative to 1mW. An example was the Pioneer
home page where it gave the AGC level as -177.62 dBm.
I assume you know AGC is automatic gain control so
this says the gain has adjusted to receive signal+noise at
that level.

http://spaceprojects.arc.nasa.gov/Sp...er/PNStat.html

If your technique can achieve just 6dB cancellation of
the noise but requires a mismatch causing a further
3dB signal loss, you would still end up with an overall
NF better than -1dB.

Quite.

My question would be whether NF 0dB violates the
laws of thermodynamics, but the answer isn't obvious.

Very true. One of the reasons why I chose a 20 dB improvement as a
target figure for the prototype was that I had already noticed, on the
basis of the last reference given by Jonathan Thornburg (in the first
posting), that this would bring us within a whisker of the there
quoted theoretical minimum noise T ( + or -, depending on freq., within
the range)

Well as you can see, with a noise figure for current
good practice LNA design of around 1.5dB, which is
relative to the thermal noise of the input impedance,
you only need 2dB to go beyond that limit, hence my
scepticism regarding a 20dB claim.

My opinion is that I stand a better than fighting chance of geting
beyond that theoretical limit, on the basis of my own calculations.
That would mean that the theory is wrong, because the theorists failed
to consider the angle I am exploiting. That should suffice, hopefully,
to prove to every patent examiner in the world, that the inventive step
was not obvious.

If you want to prove it will work, not just to others but
yourself first ;-), I would strongly advise simulation. We
would not consider going to even a lash-up on the bench
without ding that first. A typical LNA only has a few
components and you are not talking about vast complex
circuitry or DSP at these frequencies so if you don't have
a simulator available at work try the evaluation version
of Micro-Cap:

http://www.spectrum-soft.com/demoform.shtm

http://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm

It is limited to 50 components but that should be about
enough. A working sim and a non-disclosure agreement
should get you into doors.

George
Old September 14th 06, 10:32 AM posted to sci.astro.research
John (Liberty) Bell

wrote:
John (Liberty) Bell wrote:
wrote:
John (Liberty) Bell wrote:

I don't think you understand the current split. I found
a list of fabs:

http://www.semizone.com/fab/advance.tcl

In the 'technology' box enter NMOS and you find
17 fabs. Enter CMOS and it returns 665 fabs, 97.5%
of the total. The search doesn't give a total for wafers
but I guess it is probably at least as high a percentage.

That does seem to confirm that CMOS has taken over, at least for small
fabs, which is what we would be talking about.

The point is that specialist fabs like SiGe or GaAs
are much more expensive.

I absolutely agree with you there.

What the
article says is that the chip was built on a standard
CMOS production line.

If so, it seems that this was just because that happened to be the
production line they had convenient access to.

Yes, undoubtedly.

snip

I think you are mis-reading the statement to say they
"implemented a CMOS LNA" when in fact it only says
they "implemented an LNA in a CMOS process". The
captions on the figures say "CMOS LNA" but I read that
as just shorthand.

Quoting direct from the abstract they say "the technique has been
applied to wideband CMOS LNAs", which sounded pretty unambiguous to me.
However, I don't think we need to argue this point further as we are
both in agreement over what is really going on.

[...]

From prior experience I know that such control of a commercial

production line would be prohibitively expensive for a 'DIY' proof that
an inventive idea works (at the required frequencies). One therefore
needs to convince the chip manufacturer that the product could earn
them millions.

Nope, you give them the design and they charge
you for making it. For propotypes, there are
companies that will put your sample with other
peoples and do smaller quantities but it is still
expensive of course. That's where simulation
is needed to get you backing and/or grants.

Yes, you are right. I do recall now that Electronics magazine was
talking about custom fab lines where a variety of customer designs
could be manufactured on a single wafer, even before I "retired". Since
the device would naturally benefit from integration, this is starting
to sound like one exciting possibility (dependent on what these CMOS
noise figures actually mean [in terms of noise temperature], and what
the cost is actually going to be.)

Another potential reason why this angle could be exciting is that, once
the masks have been prepared, the additional cost per chip should
decrease substantially the more you make. As I already mentioned to
Steve Willner, CMOS could also be a promising candidate for cryogenic
cooling. With a reasonable sized yield of good room temperature chips,
one might then find a smaller but still reasonable yield of cryogenic
temperature functional chips, within the same batch. The same
production run might therefore yield a batch of LNAs that can achieve
close to liquid helium performance without cryogenic cooling, and a
further (more expensive) batch that can be cooled to reduce LNA noise
to virtually zero, relative to the other sources of system noise.

For considering this angle in greater detail, it would be helpful to
know whether FETs that fail at low temperatures do so catastrophically,
or if they start working again when warmed. Does Steve Willner have
any insight on this from his work with cryogenic infrared amplifiers?
If not, this shouldn't be very expensive to test, for anyone who
already has a crto-cooler.

Regards

John