Illustris usage

Old March 15th 18, 07:39 PM posted to sci.astro
Michael F. Stemper

Default Illustris usage

I'm trying to tease some data out of Illustris, and am
having trouble parsing the data access specifications[1].

For instance, about one-fifth of the way down, it says
(in part):
The general unit system is kpc/h for lengths,
10^10M_Sol/h for masses, [...]

The two meanings for "h" for which I'm aware are "Planck's
constant" and "hours". Obviously, neither one of those makes
any sense in this context.

Where can I find out what "h" means in this context?

Also, I'm going to need to follow the histories of various
subhalos. In the section on Merger Trees, it says:
The number inside each circle from the figure is the
unique ID (within the whole simulation) of the
corresponding subhalo [...]

Is this "SubhaloID"? If I find a way to extract data about
SubhaloID == 42 (for example) from each snapshot, will I be
following a single subhalo through time?

Is there a similar field for halos? I'm trying to follow the
changes in a galaxy after its capture, and I think that I'll
need to be able to find out things like the mass of the halo
that captures it.

This page is quite comprehensive, but that makes it overwhelming
for somebody who's never used Illustris before. Is there a
novice's introduction or some documentation that explains the
documentation?

I'm sure that once I get a handle on their conventions, I'll
be able to bootstrap pretty quickly. It's getting up the
first part of the learning curve that has me stumped.

Thanks for any help that you're willing to provide.

[1] http://www.illustris-project.org/data/docs/specifications/

--
Michael F. Stemper
Deuteronomy 10:18-19
Old March 19th 18, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
"Michael F. Stemper" writes:
The general unit system is kpc/h for lengths,
10^10M_Sol/h for masses, [...]

The documentation doesn't define h (at least that I see), but it is
almost certainly the current value of the Hubble constant in units of
100 km s^-1 Mpc-1. That means h = 0.7 (or very nearly so).

Don't overlook that quantities are given in _co-moving_
coordinates. To get physical coordinates, you have to multiply by the
appropriate power of the scale factor at the epoch in question.

Also, I'm going to need to follow the histories of various
subhalos. In the section on Merger Trees, it says:
The number inside each circle from the figure is the
unique ID (within the whole simulation) of the
corresponding subhalo [...]

Is this "SubhaloID"?

That's how it looks to me.

If I find a way to extract data about
SubhaloID == 42 (for example) from each snapshot, will I be
following a single subhalo through time?

It looks to me as though any given SubhaloID will exist in only one
snapshot. You have to follow the Progenitor or Descendent IDs to
look at evolution through time. If you don't want to follow each
step, you could select by FirstProgenitorID or RootDescendantID.
There's also TreeID.

Is there a similar field for halos? I'm trying to follow the
changes in a galaxy after its capture, and I think that I'll
need to be able to find out things like the mass of the halo
that captures it.

I think you need to use SubfindID as an index into the Group
Catalog. ("Group" = Halo as far as I can tell.)

This page is quite comprehensive, but that makes it overwhelming
for somebody who's never used Illustris before. Is there a
novice's introduction or some documentation that explains the
documentation?

There are numerous published papers and a general introduction at
http://www.illustris-project.org/about/#astronomers

Isn't there anyone locally you could ask for help? I expect some of
the people who worked on the simulation would be willing to answer
questions by email.

[1] http://www.illustris-project.org/data/docs/specifications/

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old March 19th 18, 08:49 PM posted to sci.astro
Michael F. Stemper

On 2018-03-19 13:44, Steve Willner wrote:
In article ,
"Michael F. Stemper" writes:
The general unit system is kpc/h for lengths,
10^10M_Sol/h for masses, [...]

The documentation doesn't define h (at least that I see), but it is
almost certainly the current value of the Hubble constant in units of
100 km s^-1 Mpc-1. That means h = 0.7 (or very nearly so).

Don't overlook that quantities are given in _co-moving_
coordinates. To get physical coordinates, you have to multiply by the
appropriate power of the scale factor at the epoch in question.

Okay, thanks for the warning. I would have blindly gone ahead with
the same value of h at all epochs.

Also, I'm going to need to follow the histories of various
subhalos. In the section on Merger Trees, it says:
The number inside each circle from the figure is the
unique ID (within the whole simulation) of the
corresponding subhalo [...]

Is this "SubhaloID"?

That's how it looks to me.

If I find a way to extract data about
SubhaloID == 42 (for example) from each snapshot, will I be
following a single subhalo through time?

It looks to me as though any given SubhaloID will exist in only one
snapshot. You have to follow the Progenitor or Descendent IDs to
look at evolution through time. If you don't want to follow each
step, you could select by FirstProgenitorID or RootDescendantID.
There's also TreeID.

These sound promising. I'll read up on them.

This page is quite comprehensive, but that makes it overwhelming
for somebody who's never used Illustris before. Is there a
novice's introduction or some documentation that explains the
documentation?

There are numerous published papers and a general introduction at
http://www.illustris-project.org/about/#astronomers

I'll take a look at that as well.

Isn't there anyone locally you could ask for help?

Well, I shot an email to my TAs. When I didn't hear back from them, I
spread my net further.

I did hear back from one of them this morning. She confirmed your
interpretation of "h", but didn't point out the impact of scale factor.

Thanks for the pointers
--
Michael F. Stemper
This sentence no verb.

Cosmological Simulations: Illustris Or Illusion? Robert L. Oldershaw Research 16 June 2nd 14 02:01 PM
Spacetime foam - usage notes Painius[_1_] Misc 31 December 11th 11 06:39 AM
Question on shuttle fuel usage on liftoff. [email protected] Astronomy Misc 3 June 22nd 05 10:00 PM
Naval LOX usage? Andrew Gray History 41 September 27th 04 08:07 AM
Maximum magnification and optimum usage ^MisterJingo^ UK Astronomy 2 December 12th 03 08:12 AM