SRB Separation

Old August 13th 16, 03:26 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

Default SRB Separation

How fast was the shuttle moving at SRB separation?

There is a frustrating lack of that data in the many sites that I have searched.

Thanks,
Old August 13th 16, 05:10 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 10:26:07 PM UTC-4, Scott M. Kozel wrote:

How fast was the shuttle moving at SRB separation?

There is a frustrating lack of that data in the many sites that I have searched.

Thanks,

I found the answer ... about 2,950 mph, see at 2:35 in this video --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aCOyOvOw5c

I would have guessed around 5,000 to 6,000 mph, as it is still a long way to go to 18,000 mph.

Booster burnout/separation is at 28 miles altitude, probably above 99.9% of the atmosphere, so maybe that is the key, getting it that high and then shedding all that weight. The SSME with over 400,000 pounds thrust each, still provide plenty of thrust.

Old August 13th 16, 08:40 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 10:26:07 PM UTC-4, Scott M. Kozel wrote:

How fast was the shuttle moving at SRB separation?

There is a frustrating lack of that data in the many sites that I have
searched.

Thanks,

I found the answer ... about 2,950 mph, see at 2:35 in this video --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aCOyOvOw5c

I would have guessed around 5,000 to 6,000 mph, as it is still a long way
to go to 18,000 mph.

Booster burnout/separation is at 28 miles altitude, probably above 99.9% of
the atmosphere, so maybe that is the key, getting it that high and then
shedding all that weight. The SSME with over 400,000 pounds thrust each,
still provide plenty of thrust.

Yeah, that really was the point of the SRBs, get the thing up and out of as
much of the atmosphere as possible. Once you've done that, then you can take
your time getting to speed.

Old August 16th 16, 02:45 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 3:40:36 PM UTC-4, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
[...]

They still need a lot more altitude at that point, at least 100 miles altitude to be in a stable orbit, but I suppose that the ascent angle at 28 miles is only a few degrees from horizontal.
Old August 16th 16, 01:47 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

The ascent trajectory is more vertical than horizontal until it's above
most of the atmosphere. This is to minimize aerodynamic drag (over
time) on the vehicle. After that it becomes more horizontal than
vertical in order to attain the velocity needed to stay in orbit (which
is where a hell of a lot of the delta-V is actually needed).

You'd have to look at a plot of the ascent trajectory to get the
details, but the above is the "executive summary" of the most efficient
way of getting into earth orbit.

Jeff