MMmmm...Battery make man STRONG!!!!

Old October 18th 03, 02:44 PM
Al Arduengo

Default MMmmm...Battery make man STRONG!!!!

I know this may be old hat to many of you but I just wanted to share my
latest joy here. For several years I have typically used either
available AC outlets and extension cords or small 18aH batteries for
all of my scoping needs. Of course a small battery precludes the use of
a laptop and dew heater so I always felt limited somehow.

I recently found 115aH deep cycle marine batteries on sale at Wal-Mart
and decided to take the plunge. I built a power distribution box which
houses my inverter, 12V outlet bar and LX200 AC-DC connverter. Put a V
meter on it to keep track of the battery. Man does this thing kick
butt! It's (the battery) massive and quite heavy but I shore do luv it!
I tinkered around with it quite a bit this week in anticipation of the
great skies and upcoming Astronomer Night at our local observing site.
I hooked up the laptop, dew heater, scope and even GPS unit. Ran them
all together for an hour or so while slewing around willy-nilly at a
slew rate of 8.

Afterwards I hooked the battery up to the automatic charger and in less
than 20 minutes it was already full again. I had barely touched it with
an hour of heavy use. Granted, the charger starts out with higher
current and diminishes as the battery achieves charge, but still...

I love this thing. I find myself sitting in the garage (or GA-rage
short 'A' for your Brits) just looking at my setup. I absolutely
cannot wait for tonight. Everyone will be quite intimidated to be
sure. No one would dare challenge my supremacy on the field.

Thanks for listening.
-Al A.
--
~/.signature
Old October 18th 03, 04:03 PM
Dan Wenz

Al Arduengo wrote:

Everyone will be quite intimidated to be sure. No one would dare challenge my supremacy on the field.

How's your back ? ;-

Old October 18th 03, 05:42 PM
Al Arduengo

Doh! How dare you mock me!!?? I will crush you with my mighty
Battery!!

*actually, it is quite heavy :-O

-Al

Old October 18th 03, 07:16 PM
Chris.B

Fred Garvin wrote in message ...
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:44:52 -0400, Al Arduengo wrote:

I love this thing. I find myself sitting in the garage (or GA-rage
short 'A' for your Brits) just looking at my setup. I absolutely
cannot wait for tonight. Everyone will be quite intimidated to be sure.
No one would dare challenge my supremacy on the field.

Thanks for listening.
-Al A.

Good for you Al! Maybe you could daytime charge it with a solar panel too.

Since you kindly mentioned Brits and our ga-raj-es:

If you really want to impress the crowds: It should be good for a few
mintues "grazing" the grass round your scope with one of those little
robot lawnmowers (running on a flying power cord tether). Paint the
lawnmower casing Meade dark blue and stick a big Meade logo on top. Or
even a flag with Meade logo on a mock antenna. At a big public star
party that might be a real "killer application". Just remember to fit
red LEDs on it (and not white) for night use. ;-)

Chris.B
(I know. I'm a genius) grin

Did NASA really make it to Mars? James Oberg Policy 409 April 6th 04 07:06 PM
Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 08:05 PM
Moon key to space future? James White Policy 90 January 6th 04 05:29 PM
DEATH DOES NOT EXIST -- Coal Mine Rescue Proves It Ed Conrad Space Shuttle 4 August 2nd 03 01:00 AM