Let's go to Mars - but why come back?

Old August 27th 03, 11:50 PM
Mantra

Default Let's go to Mars - but why come back?

Since so much time and money is spent into getting people BACK to earth,
aren't there people who would volunteer to never come back? There are so
many of us on the planet, and I'm sure there would be people who would be
willing to go through the training etc and know that they'll never return.

I'd go if there was a chance I could see Mars with my own eyes and maybe
even land on it. Better then being wiped out in a car accident.

What do you think?

Old August 28th 03, 05:15 PM
Pat Flannery

Mantra wrote:

Since so much time and money is spent into getting people BACK to earth,
aren't there people who would volunteer to never come back? There are so
many of us on the planet, and I'm sure there would be people who would be
willing to go through the training etc and know that they'll never return.

Maybe we aren't looking at this in the right way....maybe we could send
people there who we _don't want_ to come back....Geraldo Rivera for
instance- he could make his last great TV appearance from there....

I'd go if there was a chance I could see Mars with my own eyes and maybe
even land on it. Better then being wiped out in a car accident.

What do you think?

I think you had better bring a cute, personality-filled monkey along if
you want to have any chance of finding water there...just ask
Christopher Draper. Monkeys, as usual, are the key to successful space
exploration.

Pat
Mars Gravity Probe 1

Old August 29th 03, 06:40 PM
Martha H Adams

I like the one-way first Mars travel idea, except for details. I do
think this is a very serious option -- serious like an old Celtic
story of a race to claim an island: two ships, neck-and-neck; one
contestant cut off his hand and threw it onto the island before the
opposition got there. It was then generally agreed, his ship won.

If we sent off a one-way ship, I can't see how the survival odds for
the travellers would be very good, despite the most careful
engineering. Never forget Murphy's Law.

But if a base there were desperately needed, I can see doing something
like that. In fact, I think a base there *is* desperately needed, if
only that could be discerned from Washington DC. ...Have you compared
the amount of money the Iraq adventure will cost us, vs, the cost of
serious Lunar and Mars exploration?

Cheers -- Martha Adams

Old August 30th 03, 07:10 AM
Pat Flannery

Mantra wrote:

How about a bunch of glorified monkeys? Then the water-seeking monkey can
boss them around and have a REAL reality show.
Lots of people would watch a show where people are shot into space, never to
return. See how long before they go crazy etc. We all have to die at some
point, why not in space while helping humanity get off the planet?

I'm still trying to figure out how hairy hot dogs grow underwater on
Mars...and if "Aman Tikla" means "Thank you!".... or "Friday has just
discovered that THE MAN is everywhere in the universe!".

Pat