** Spectrum Needed **

Old September 7th 12, 08:18 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

Default ** Spectrum Needed **

As all will be aware, the first BOSS release is out as part of
SDSS-DR9. It's a fantastic survey but unfortunately they missed a key
object and are operationally prevented from re-visiting it. It is a
bright quasar, WEE 179, v=17.5, z unknown.

See http://quasars.org/docs/WEE-179.jpg for the SDSS chart of this
object, named there as SDSS J235115.25-004012.2

My Million Quasars catalog has a near-complete listing of Dan
Weedman's quasars from his paper 1985 ApJS 57 523, but many of his
quasars were not listed with redshifts because only one line was
available. A number of these were observed by SDSS-DR9 and all are
quasars of z~2.5. WEE 179 was left off because it is too bright --
the BOSS bright limit is i=17.8 but this object is i=17.2. At the
expected z~2.5, it is exactly what BOSS is looking for, but instead
they took the spectrum of the boring M1 star 6 arcsec to its south.
Unfortunate call. I need this bright quasar for my catalog, and I
expect its spectrum would be of interest to the BOSS team.

Is anyone able to get the spectrum of WEE 179? It is bright at
r=17.3, g=17.7, so should be an easy spectrum.

Eric Flesch
Wellington, New Zealand