"An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything"

Old November 26th 07, 11:30 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Kent Paul Dolan

Default "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything"

This looks like it will be receiving a lot of discussion:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq4aq2

[a google search on: "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything";
the results include the arXiv link to the paper.]

xanthian.
Old November 27th 07, 09:30 AM posted to sci.astro.research
John Bailey

On Mon, 26 Nov 07 10:30:30 GMT, Kent Paul Dolan
wrote:

This looks like it will be receiving a lot of discussion:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq4aq2

[a google search on: "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything";
the results include the arXiv link to the paper.]

Not included there but also relevant

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHw9zcCvRQ
This is a video of the rotations of E8 based on "input from Garrett
Lisi" with a voice over stating which perspectives were quarks, which
hadrons, etc. Intriguing but not really informative.

also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E8_(mathematics) ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_algebra ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiable_manifold
http://xyz.lanl.gov/find/hep-th/1/au.../0/1/0/all/0/1

The Lisi paper, of course is titled from the name of E8,
"In mathematics, E8 is the name given to a family of closely related
structures. In particular, it is the name of some exceptional simple
Lie algebras as well as that of the associated simple Lie groups."
quoted from the Wiki article on E8.

Lisi's paper is almost as intelligible as Finnegans Wake.
"I employed the sound "quork" for several weeks in 1963 before
noticing "quark" in "Finnegans Wake", which I had perused from time to
time since it appeared in 1939... The allusion to three quarks seemed
perfect"-- Murray Gell-Mann
Old November 27th 07, 09:37 AM posted to sci.astro.research

In article , Kent Paul
Dolan writes:

This looks like it will be receiving a lot of discussion:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq4aq2

[a google search on: "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything";
the results include the arXiv link to the paper.]

xanthian.

Readers here might like to check out the corresponding thread on
sci.physics.research. Surf's up!
Old January 19th 09, 08:48 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Dogma Discharge

"Kent Paul Dolan" wrote in message
This looks like it will be receiving a lot of discussion:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq4aq2

[a google search on: "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything";
the results include the arXiv link to the paper.]

xanthian.

Hey Kent

Lisi does a nice talk on this topic over on TED.com, you can download the
video clip, well worth it, seems like quite a nice character to boot!

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/g...verything.html

Regards~
Old January 20th 09, 09:55 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Kent Paul Dolan

Dogma Discharge wrote:
"Kent Paul Dolan" wrote:

This looks like it will be receiving a lot of
discussion:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq4aq2

[a google search on: "An Exceptionally Simple
Theory of Everything"; the results include the
arXiv link to the paper.]

Lisi does a nice talk on this topic over on
TED.com, you can download the video clip, well
worth it, seems like quite a nice character to
boot!

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/g...verything.html

Trying to describe in mere English what something
_is_, as Lisi tries to do toward the end of that
clip, falls into a set of problems so incredibly
difficult that US President Bill Clinton, on trial
for bringing discredit onto the office of president,
famously challenged "that depends on what the
definition of 'is' is".

The only thing that really "works" in this case to
convey what an electron "is", is the mathematics of
the description.

I'm no more competent to understand Lisi's math than
before, but Lisi's theory does have the advantage of
being beautiful, and conveyably so, a characteristic
of many of the most successful theories about nature
ever discovered.

He certainly made that much abundantly clear.

One can only wish him continued success, and
somewhere a limit to how many dimensions he must add
to his theory before it is complete.

One can only hope that at that limit, out of his
theory will drop not only an explanation of what the
electron "is", and why, but of what the big bang was,
and why, and of what the fate of our universe is, and
why.

This work by Lisi must(?) in some way also interact
with the newly bruited perception of our universe as
equivalent to a hologram projected from a lesser
dimensional surface.

While that concept seems to diminish our importance,
humans have been becoming ever less the center of
the universe as science marches along anyway.

That elementary particles, at the level at which
Lisi works, those of which we ourselves are
comprised for example, are only crude, grainy
approximations, ones that make hyper-sensitive
meters, meant to detect gravity waves emitted from
distant interactions of super-massive bodies,
experience "jitter", just removes us a bit further
from being "at the center of things".

That we might have our existence only on a
projection "surface", with the more accurate reality
existing only on some "film" at the most distant
removes, continues that trend.

Oh, well, in that scenario, at least we all get to
be movie stars.

Thanks for the link!

xanthian