BibTeX and mn2e.bst

Old October 26th 14, 07:29 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply

Default BibTeX and mn2e.bst

I know that there are some problems with the official version of
mn2e.bst, so I'm using an inofficial one:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ti...aster/mn2e.bst

It solves the problem of a too-long author list (for all of my
real-world examples except the PLANCK collaboration), but the same error

Warning--you've exceeded 100, the entry-string-size, for entry...

appears with just 5 or 6 authors if there are any accented characters in
them. (2 or 3 authors with accented characters are OK.) So, apparently
there is a problem with accented characters if the author list is even
moderately long, whereas if there are no accented characters then it can
be much longer.

Here are a couple of examples:

@ARTICLE{ CGunnarssonDGJM2006a,
author = "Gunnarsson, C. and Dahl{\'e}n, T. and Goobar, A.
and J. J{\"o}nsson and E. M{\"o}rtsell",
title = "Corrections for Gravitational Lensing of Supernovae:
Better than Average?",
journal = APJ,
year = 2006,
month = mar,
volume = 640,
pages = "417--427"
}

@ARTICLE{ JJoenssonDGGML2006a,
author = "J{\"o}nsson, J. and Dahl{\'e}n, T. and Goobar, A. and
Gunnarsson, C. and M{\"o}rtsell, E. and Lee, K.",
title = "Lensing Magnification of Supernovae in the {GOODS} Fields",
journal = APJ,
year = 2006,
month = mar,
volume = 639,
pages = "991--998"
}

Can anyone reproduce the error using the version of mn2e.bst mentioned
above and the standard mn2e.cls?

Is there some workaround (short of editing the .bbl file)?

While I'm at it, another BibTeX question related to astronomical
journals: Long ago, I put together my own abbrev.bib which constains
stuff like

@STRING{MNRAS = {MNRAS}}
@STRING{MRAS = {Mem. R. Astron. Soc.}}
@STRING{NAT = {Nat}}
@STRING{OBS = {Observatory}}
@STRING{PASJ = {PASJ}}

The idea being, obviously, that I would rather change the definition in
one place rather than having to change it in several hard-coded journal
names in various .bib files. However, some journal .bst files define
their own definitions, which are overwritten by mine if the abbreviation
is the same.

If I use my own abbreviations, the definitions might be different from
those the journal wants. So, I have to change my definitions depending
on which journal I am writing for or have separate abbreviation files
for each journal (at least for the definitions which vary from journal
to journal, in which case I also need a common file). This wouldn't be
too much work as it is rare that a new journal comes along, but seems
unnecessary work. (Since the last one can be used if there are multiple
definitions, I can have my definitions in the common file and redefine
any which are different in a journal-specific file.)

Using the journal's abbreviations is not an option, since different
journals might have different abbreviations, but I want only one per
entry in my .bib files.

It seems to me that the best solution is to have my own file with all
abbreviations and what I think is the best definition for each, then
journal-specific ones which overwrite mine for a few journals. Or is
there a better solution?
Old October 29th 14, 10:27 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Martin Hardcastle

In article ,
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply wrote:
It seems to me that the best solution is to have my own file with all
abbreviations and what I think is the best definition for each, then
journal-specific ones which overwrite mine for a few journals. Or is
there a better solution?

Perhaps not better, but different: I use the solution (more or less
forced on me by taking large numbers of BibTeX entries direct from
ADS) of using macros for all the common journal names, \mnras, \apj
and so on. I then define them appropriately in the document itself for
each journal that doesn't do that in its style file.

Martin
--
Martin Hardcastle
School of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics, University of Hertfordshire, UK