Comet Machholz an easy object in 8 x 40 binoculars near London

Old December 17th 04, 12:19 PM
Anthony Stokes

Default Comet Machholz an easy object in 8 x 40 binoculars near London

2230hrs on thursday 16th December was my first opportunity (English weather
allowing) to observe the newcomer comet Machholz ( C2004 Q2 )

This comet was at maximum elevation of 22 degrees over horizon (due
south) circa 2242 hrs GMT in the constellation Eridanus, a little preceding
Lepus.

From finding the northern bright stars of Lepus south of Orion - it was easy
to star-hop westwards past the 4th magnitude orange star 53 Eridani and so
to 7th magnitude HIP 2084, beside which ( south preceding ) was the large
prominent fuzzy object 'Comet Machholz' at once obvious and unmistakeable in
8 x 40 binoculars at 30Km east of London ( Brentwood, Essex ).

It is currently about 5th magnitude and tending to be brighter than
predicted.
By 2330 hours Machholz was noticeably decreasing in elevation and moving
into ever more hazy and orange-tinged sky, yet remained obvious in 8 x 40
binoculars.
I took the opportunity also to view with 11 x 80 tripod-mounted binoculars
with which 8th magnitude field stars near the comet also were obvious,
despite the readily apparent scattered orange street lighting.

Comet Mechholz will continue to move northwards until the second week of
March 2005, becoming circumpolar for Londoners from mid January.

Already a naked-eye object from dark locations, there is some hope that it
will also become visible without optical aid even in parts of outer London.
A positional ephemeris is published at http://skyandtelescope.com or
elsewhere on the internet and on printed journal pages.

Cheerio for now,
Anthony

Old December 17th 04, 03:24 PM
Robert Geake

"Anthony Stokes" wrote in message
2230hrs on thursday 16th December was my first opportunity (English

weather
allowing) to observe the newcomer comet Machholz ( C2004 Q2 )

This comet was at maximum elevation of 22 degrees over horizon (due
south) circa 2242 hrs GMT in the constellation Eridanus, a little

preceding
Lepus.

From finding the northern bright stars of Lepus south of Orion - it was

easy
[...]

Nake eye, hmmm! I spent nearly 15 minutes looking down the scope tube
in the hope i could see it to no avail. When you say north do you mean
higher
above the horizon??

Rob

Old December 17th 04, 06:58 PM

May we direct observers to our alerts page that contains detailed
observational notes for Comet Machholz C/2004 Q2:

http://www.astronomynow.com/alerts.shtml#comet
Clear skies,

Adstronomy Now Online

Old December 17th 04, 08:29 PM
Pete Lawrence

On 17 Dec 2004 10:58:56 -0800, wrote:

May we direct observers to our alerts page that contains detailed
observational notes for Comet Machholz C/2004 Q2:

http://www.astronomynow.com/alerts.shtml#comet
Clear skies,

Adstronomy Now Online

I'm afraid we never look at alerts pages. Is it possible to mail them
to each of us?

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old December 17th 04, 08:30 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:29:02 +0000, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

On 17 Dec 2004 10:58:56 -0800, wrote:

May we direct observers to our alerts page that contains detailed
observational notes for Comet Machholz C/2004 Q2:

http://www.astronomynow.com/alerts.shtml#comet
Clear skies,

Adstronomy Now Online

I'm afraid we never look at alerts pages. Is it possible to mail them
to each of us?

Sorry, by "mail" I mean "snail mail".