Good luck, Falcon 1

Old August 3rd 08, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

Default Good luck, Falcon 1

And this is supposedly the ultra best of our supposedly private fly-by-
rocket expertise that we have to offer. Good thing for their job
security that it was directly and indirectly public funded.

Pink slips anyone?

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth

Damon Hill wrote:
"Alan Erskine" wrote in news:UD9lk.25133
:

Even though I can't see the launch, all the very best.

Looks like a launch failure.

There was visible roll oscillation after the first minute, but
during first stage operation. Video went off and SpaceX's
announcers don't have a clue.

We'll have to wait for the failure analysis, but I'm guessing
there was a guidance system problem from the oscillations.

--Damon

Old August 3rd 08, 06:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Stevenson

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 00:15:01 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

(Scott Stevenson) wrote in
:

At about T +4 minutes, you can start to see some oscillation of the
second stage engine bell--it's making small clockwise circles at just
under one rev per second. They didn't seem to get much faster, but
the oscillations certainly got bigger during the remainder of the
flight.

Also, I'm certainly no expert, but at first stage separation, there
seemed to be a lot of yaw in the rocket before the second stage lit.
I don't know if the first stage didn't separate cleanly, or what, but
it just looked odd.

You must have been looking at video of the second launch last year. In
that case, the separation was "dirty" and knocked the upper stage
off-attitude before guidance reasserted control.

On this, the third launch attempt, it was stated that the two
stages completely failed to separate at all, ending the mission. While
I definitely saw roll oscillation during ascent, it was stated that
first stage operation was 'normal' right up to main engine shutdown.
The shutdown was not shown on the video feed, which was apparently
delayed-broadcast.

Ah, the live broadcast, and grabbed what I thought was the correct
video.

It sounds like I had the right diagnosis, but the wrong patient :-)

take care,
Scott
Old August 3rd 08, 09:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Stevenson

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 17:32:14 GMT,
(Scott Stevenson) wrote:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 00:15:01 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

(Scott Stevenson) wrote in
t:

[...]

SB "Ah, I missed the live broadcast"

I blame fumes from the car wax I'm using...

Old August 4th 08, 06:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
David M. Palmer

In article
tatelephone, Pat
Flannery wrote:

Anyway, the ashes of Scotty and Gordon Cooper now lie in a watery grave,
along with those of 206 other people.

The headline will read "208 Dead in Rocket Failure".

Better luck next time. Crash and learn.

--
David M. Palmer (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Old August 4th 08, 06:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

David M. Palmer wrote:

Anyway, the ashes of Scotty and Gordon Cooper now lie in a watery grave,
along with those of 206 other people.

The headline will read "208 Dead in Rocket Failure".

Better luck next time. Crash and learn.

Last time I checked, 208 minus 2 leaves 206 other people.

Pat
Old August 4th 08, 06:59 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

Last time I checked, 208 minus 2 leaves 206 other people.

Now I realize what you're driving at, minus a smiley, friend.
But you do not seem one of the body of Landru, do you, friend?
Herbert!
Liberal Lawyer, come to me! :-D

Pat
Old August 4th 08, 07:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_2_]

On Aug 4, 1:11*pm, "David M. Palmer" wrote:

The headline will read "208 Dead in Rocket Failure".

"We've got guys down in our photo labs working through the night to
put together a genuine photograph."
Old August 5th 08, 05:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:
The headline will read "208 Dead in Rocket Failure".

"We've got guys down in our photo labs working through the night to
put together a genuine photograph."

Seriously, I imagine the family's of some of the dead are none-too-keen
on the idea that their loved ones are now in the depths of the Pacific
rather than the depths of space.
On the other hand if the ashes are sealed in some sort of lightweight
containers, they may be bobbing around out there somewhere and may wash
up on a beach someday.

Pat
Old August 5th 08, 07:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_2_]

It won't console anyone, but fewer people have been to the bottom of
the ocean than have been into space.

Good Luck to Minneapolis. KLM[_26_] Amateur Astronomy 1 August 2nd 07 07:02 PM
Good Luck, Elon and Falcon D. Orbitt Policy 61 January 10th 06 05:30 PM
Good luck Huygens Jo UK Astronomy 2 December 25th 04 11:03 AM
Good luck Cassini! OM Policy 15 July 14th 04 06:12 PM
Good luck all Martin Frey UK Astronomy 3 June 8th 04 03:52 PM