Colonel K?

Old August 24th 03, 12:07 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Default Colonel K?

"Colonel K" :

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
And also welcome to the UseNet, where just claiming that you are an

expert
without proof or identity means you will be doubted. Colonel K claims to

be
an expert, but for all we know he could just be a floor sweeper. What

has
he
said that I should take his word over others who post here?

Then that's just the way it will have to stay. I have my own compelling
reasons for posting anonymously on certain subjects. I have and will
continue to post with my real name on other subjects. Mr. Herbert knows who
I am and may vouch for my expertise if he so wishes, while maintaining my
anonymity.

But why does mean you can't identitfy what type of job you held? And should
we take your opinion over others on just your say so. Do you do that for
other people yourself?

Either way, it just doesn't matter to me anymore. Too many self-styled
"experts" here who aren't willing to budge from their belief in their own
knowledge.

???? What is the diffirence between you and them? You come and post without
identifing yourself and then get upset because we don't accept what you say
as the automatic truth. Even with Mr. Herbert vouching for you I would like
to know that you are not working for one of the companies bidding for OSP.
And for sure if you do work for a company that is bidding on OSP, that alone
is a reason to take everything you say with a grain of salt. I hope you can
realize why that would be.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to

Old August 24th 03, 04:25 PM
Colonel K

"Tom Merkle" wrote in message
m...
Trouble yourself no further.
"Colonel K" is a red herring.

Well, I have been sunburned plenty of times before, but never considered
myself a fish.

I have it on good authority that he
works secretly for the Rand Corp think tank. (This was discovered by a
reporter at the eighth highest circulating newspaper in the world.)
His purpose is to do his best to bias the public against capsules in a
desperate attempt to maintain the status quo. He's probably got
several pseudonyms in motion right now writing articles for Spacedaily
and AviationWeek extolling the virtues of winged RLVs.

I have nothing against capsules, or wingers, for that matter. I'm not
against anything that would increase human presence in space. And I don't
work for RAND.

Homey don't play that on usenet, Colonel! We got rights here!

And lefts. Maybe even a few middle-of-the roaders.

-Colonel K

Old August 24th 03, 04:33 PM
Colonel K

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
But why does mean you can't identitfy what type of job you held? And

should
we take your opinion over others on just your say so. Do you do that for
other people yourself?

I understand your feelings. I chose to approach this anonymously because of
past incidents, but it's certainly causing animosioty. I suppose I can tell
you that I am an engineer working in NASA's Launch Services Program. We
provide insight into NASA's ELV launch campaigns, and have been tasked with
the ELV portion of the OSP project.

???? What is the diffirence between you and them? You come and post

without
identifing yourself and then get upset because we don't accept what you

say
as the automatic truth.

What upset me was the utter unwillingness of certain parties to even
entertain the notion that I might have something of value to the discussion.
What upset me was being dismissed out of hand.

Even with Mr. Herbert vouching for you I would like
to know that you are not working for one of the companies bidding for OSP.

No, I'm not. I work for an engineering services contractor supporting NASA.

And for sure if you do work for a company that is bidding on OSP, that

alone
is a reason to take everything you say with a grain of salt. I hope you

can
realize why that would be.

Certainly.

-Colonel K

Old August 24th 03, 11:16 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

"Colonel K" :

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
But why does mean you can't identitfy what type of job you held? And

should
we take your opinion over others on just your say so. Do you do that for
other people yourself?

I understand your feelings. I chose to approach this anonymously because of
past incidents, but it's certainly causing animosioty. I suppose I can tell
you that I am an engineer working in NASA's Launch Services Program. We
provide insight into NASA's ELV launch campaigns, and have been tasked with
the ELV portion of the OSP project.

Thank you very much. "I am an engineer working in NASA's Launch Services
Program." is really all the information I believe I need. With Mr. Herbert
vouching for you, I will take all claims about your position without any
doubt.

Ofcourse, as just a computer tech, with H2O2 rockets being a hobby, I don't
think you need to care highly of my personal opinion.

From that I in the future will weight your opinion of what NASA thinks of
diffirent designs very highly.

And your opinion about what the goal of other companies are doing in the
mid-range, unless you can also can state that you deal alot with company reps
in which case I will also treat you highly there also.

Now there is the other danger. If your opinion is rated very high like Henry
Spencer, Burt Rutan, Gary Hudson and personally I also rate John Carmack
opinions very high, you find people pay too much attention to very thing you
say. There is a reason that Henry ran out of T-shirts

Earl Colby Pottinger

Old August 26th 03, 03:41 AM
Colonel K

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
And how else did you expect a pseudonym with no posting history and no
evidence of qualifications to be received? *Especially* when that
pseudonym makes statements of fact that don't co-incide with
observation, and when questioned, replies with "I know, just believe
me, because I know".

I was able to have some very nice conversations with Ed Kyle. Maybe it's
just you. Spend less time ROTFL and more time pondering whether someone just
might know something you don't, or just entertain the novelty of a different
viewpoint. Ahhh, you won't bother. You're just a newsgroup bully. You've
shown that repeatedly in the past, as well - sometimes with me in my true
identity.

-Colonel K

Old August 27th 03, 01:02 AM
Derek Lyons

"Colonel K" wrote:
Spend less time ROTFL and more time pondering whether someone just
might know something you don't, or just entertain the novelty of a different
viewpoint. Ahhh, you won't bother.

Ahhh... I've done it multiple times, which you'd know if you've been
here as long as you claim.

But never from a person who answers the question "what is the basis
for that statement" with "believe me, I know".

You're just a newsgroup bully.

Nope. I'm just someone who pushes people to support their statements
and substitute thought for handwaving. Some people don't like it that
their unsubstantiated word isn't good enough.

I can't think of a single significant poster on these groups whose
toes I haven't held to the fire at least once over the years. Oddly
enough, no one but you seems to have problem with such treatement.

You've shown that repeatedly in the past, as well - sometimes with me in my
true identity.

Another statement you wish us to take on faith with proof or support
on your part. Not happening. Period.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old August 27th 03, 06:01 PM
Mike Chan

Zoltan Basti wrote in message . ..

This is also a good-hearted advice to Colonel K. It is perfectly
acceptable for me if anybody wishes to stay anonymous, but
one should be extremely careful not to reveal too much information,
even if it is deemed necessary to establish credibility. If I can put
together pieces of information so can anybody else and
that's the end of your anonimity.

Colonel K mentioned past incidents as a reason for his or her
anonymity. Presumably, he was referring to BitFlip and Ken Hollis.
He has stated he works for a NASA contractor. Yes, he should be
extremely careful. Better to stay as anonymous as possible and accept
the doubts if not willing to deal with getting "Hollised" or
"BitFlipped".

Old August 29th 03, 09:26 AM
Mike Chan

"Christopher M. Jones" wrote in message ...
"Mike Chan" wrote:
Colonel K mentioned past incidents as a reason for his or her
anonymity. Presumably, he was referring to BitFlip and Ken Hollis.
He has stated he works for a NASA contractor. Yes, he should be
extremely careful. Better to stay as anonymous as possible and accept
the doubts if not willing to deal with getting "Hollised" or
"BitFlipped".

Don't forget Kim.

I hardly ever read sss, so I missed that sorry episode with Kim Keller
(the only Kim of note in ss* that I am aware of). I searched google,
and got the story. Nauseating.