anybody know how to work out the mass of a star from it's spectrum? this is for a school project and it's due on Friday! If you are going to respond please, answer soon

Old September 14th 04, 02:23 PM
Andrew McMeikan

Default anybody know how to work out the mass of a star from it's spectrum? this is for a school project and it's due on Friday! If you are going to respond please, answer soon

Hello, I'm doing a science project at school which involves the question
of how astronomers detect black holes and properties of black holes.
Part of this project is to ask a scientist, or universitry student
studying science, questions for our project that we don't understand.I
would most gratuitous if any scientist, or university science student,
answered these questions. Please help me to my project by answering
these questions.

I have some questions on black hole detection ,via working out mass of
other star in binary 'star' pair.So far I have been found out that a
star's mass can be figured out by looking at it's spectrum. I have found
out that each element leaves a unique color on spectrum, and so by
looking at the colors on a spectrum you can work out the elements in a
star and ,if you knew how much of it's element the star was composed
off, you could therefore work out the mass of the star. But I don't know
how to work out the persentage of each element in the star and therefore
can't work out it's weight. Here are my questions..

When you try to work out the mass of a star from it's spectrum,by
finding the stars element composition ,the different elements and their
percentage in the star, and by finding the weight of these elements),
how do you work out what percentage each element is in the star? Do you
just base your results ,on the percentage of each element, by how
'thick' each line appears on the spectrum compared to the others, by
doing an overall scale of the spectrum and determining it's ratio
compared to other elements? Can you please tell me more information
about this process?

How do you account for dust clouds ,if any, between the star and the
Earth that might affect the spectrum of the star?
How do you factor in the hubble constant to prevent a gravitational
red-shift in the stars spectrum?

When you do get a black hole mass in the end, how do you factor in the
changing mass due to Hawking radiation?

Why is the gravitational slope of a massive black hole more gentle
,lower gradient, than a smaller black hole, which is stepper?
What's upper mass limit for neutron stars and pulsars?

Thank you for taking the time to read these questions. Please, I beg
you, please consider answering these questions. Your time is much
appreciated.Also, if you have any other information on how to calcualte
a star's mass from it's spectrum it would be much appreciated.
Thank you.....

Christine Mc Meikan....

Old September 14th 04, 03:29 PM

It can't be done just from its spectrum. You also need its distance and
diameter. It also helps if there are detected planets orbiting it.

Once you have the diameter you can calculate the volume. Once you have the
volume then you can use the spectrum to determine where the star is on its life
cycle and what it is currently using as fuel. With all of these factors you
should be able to come up with a good approximation of the stellar mass.

Old September 14th 04, 10:28 PM
Saul Levy

The spectrum will tell you the spectral classification of the star
(there are atlases of spectra by classification). From that you can
get a range for it's mass. If the star is in a binary system, you can
get much closer. Didn't your instruction give you some hints on how
to do this? Good luck!

Saul Levy

Old September 15th 04, 05:07 AM
Odysseus

Andrew McMeikan wrote:

Hello, I'm doing a science project at school which involves the question
of how astronomers detect black holes and properties of black holes.
Part of this project is to ask a scientist, or universitry student
studying science, questions for our project that we don't understand.I
would most gratuitous if any scientist, or university science student,
answered these questions. Please help me to my project by answering
these questions.

I'm not sure I qualify for your project's requirement, but I *was* "a
university student studying science" (a long time ago), and I've done
some spectrography (although in analytical chemistry rather than astronomy).

[snip]

When you try to work out the mass of a star from it's spectrum,by
finding the stars element composition ,the different elements and their
percentage in the star, and by finding the weight of these elements),
how do you work out what percentage each element is in the star? Do you
just base your results ,on the percentage of each element, by how
'thick' each line appears on the spectrum compared to the others, by
doing an overall scale of the spectrum and determining it's ratio
compared to other elements? Can you please tell me more information
about this process?

You've got the idea, but bear in mind that the spectrum mainly tells
us about the composition of the outer layers of a star. We don't see
into the interior, because radiation coming from the core is absorbed
and re-emitted over and over again as it works its way outward; only
where the star becomes thin enough to be transparent can radiation
escape into space and be detected.

The elemental 'signatures' in a spectrum come in two forms: emission
and absorption bands. The former are bright lines produced when an
excited atom 'relaxes', releasing a specific amount of energy by
emitting a photon of the corresponding wavelength. Material
surrounding a star, or in a cooler layer of the outer atmosphere, can
absorb thermal radiation whose frequency 'resonates' with certain
atoms, so these elements produce dark bands in a spectrum.

The relative intensity or density of the lines is a function not only
of the source's elemental composition, but also of the prevailing
temperature and pressure, and likewise any other conditions that may
affect the atoms' behaviour. For example there's a species of oxygen
ion found in many nebulae that can only exist at extremely high
temperatures and low pressures; when lines from its characteristic
electron transitions were first observed in spectra it was thought to
be a new element (called "nebulium"), because it had never been seen
in a laboratory on earth.

How do you account for dust clouds ,if any, between the star and the
Earth that might affect the spectrum of the star?

See above. The nature of the dust can be determined from the
frequencies it absorbs, and if it's comparatively near to us it's
likely to have a more or less consistent effect on the spectra of all
the stars in that area of the sky.

How do you factor in the hubble constant to prevent a gravitational
red-shift in the stars spectrum?

Very few extragalactic stars are bright enough that their spectra can
be picked out from those of their neighbours at 'cosmological'
distances, so the Hubble constant will be irrelevant to most
observations of this kind. And I don't believe ordinary stars are
anywhere near massive enough to produce a detectable gravitational
red-shift (which is quite different from the "cosmological red-shift"
attributed to the expansion of space). However, most of the stars in
our Galaxy are either approaching us or receding fast enough to
produce a very noticeable blue- or red-shift, respectively. Whatever
shift may occur has no effect on identifying the spectral bands,
though, because they all move the same amount, preserving their
characteristic patterns. In fact it's exactly because the series of
lines remain intact that we know there's a red- or blue-shift in the
first place, and the radial component of a star's velocity relative
to the Solar System can be determined fairly precisely by comparing
the 'standard' frequencies to those observed.

In addition to outright shifts, spectral lines may also be subject to
"spreading". This is seen from rapidly rotating objects, where light
coming from the approaching 'limb' is blue-shifted, and from the
receding red-shifted; since we see stars as point sources, we get a
mixed signal in which each line appears broadened or 'smeared out'.

When you do get a black hole mass in the end, how do you factor in the
changing mass due to Hawking radiation?

I believe the loss of mass due to Hawking radiation is too slow to
make an appreciable difference over any relevant time-scale.

Why is the gravitational slope of a massive black hole more gentle
,lower gradient, than a smaller black hole, which is stepper?

I'm far from up to speed on the theory of black holes, but it must
have to do with their physical dimensions: the inverse-square law of
gravitation implies that a smaller radius will trump a proportionally
greater mass.

What's upper mass limit for neutron stars and pulsars?

About 2.3 solar masses, say 4.6*10^27 tonnes.

Thank you for taking the time to read these questions. Please, I beg
you, please consider answering these questions. Your time is much
appreciated.Also, if you have any other information on how to calcualte
a star's mass from it's spectrum it would be much appreciated.

No need to beg!

Saul has alluded to a very important point, that determining the
composition of the visible layers of a star gives only
'circumstantial evidence' of its mass: it's not like a spectrographic
assay conducted in a lab. Together with overall temperature and
luminosity measurements, these clues about elemental composition
contribute to models of stellar dynamics, and aid in the
classification and identification of stars by size, age, and
'life-history', but they certainly don't provide a direct mass read-out.

--
Odysseus
Old September 15th 04, 08:51 PM
Saul Levy

A bit more on interstellar dust (and gas): There are also
interstellar spectral lines from dust, but mostly gas. With high
enough resolution you can pick these out. The clouds containing this
dust and gas moves differently than the star seen through it which
separates those lines from the star's. Astronomers have known this
for a long time.

The term spreading you used is called rotational broadening by
astronomers.

Saul Levy

Old September 17th 04, 03:51 AM
BP

Saul

Maybe he means that the red/blue shift of the analysis can be used to
determine the period. From the period, the distance etc. Am I on the wrong
track?

BP

Old September 17th 04, 09:32 PM
Saul Levy

I may not understand exactly what you're asking, but...

Yes, periods can be determined by analyzing the shifted lines.
Interstellar lines don't shift, by the way. To determine the distance
takes more information. You need an orbital solution or the
inclination of that orbit and something to give you the scale of the
orbit. The radial velocities of the star(s) give one component
(line-of-sight velocity).

Is that enough for you?

Saul Levy

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:51:12 -0700, "BP"
wrote:

Saul

Maybe he means that the red/blue shift of the analysis can be used to
determine the period. From the period, the distance etc. Am I on the wrong
track?

BP

.. .