A really great essay by Keith Cowing

Old November 17th 03, 03:22 AM
Rand Simberg

Default Fiscal reality

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:24:56 -0700, in a place far, far away, Hop
David made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

It's not taxing ever less. Tax revenues will increase now that the
economy's growing strongly.

I haven't seen any recent mentions on Smoot-Hawley Bush's steel tariffs.
Are the ECU et al still threatening a trade war?

Yes, and last week the International Court ruled against the
administration. Hopefully they'll come to their senses, but I fear
not. When it comes to domestic policy, Carl Rove rules the roost.

Old November 17th 03, 05:31 PM
Eric Chomko

Default A really great essay by Keith Cowing

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On 14 Nov 2003 14:53:25 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Jorge R.
: Frank" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
: such a way as to indicate that:

: Well, it didn't say much. Just a buncha speculation.
: Repugnican presidents never help space programs unless they are to
: boost our
: military superiority.
:
: Is that why Reagan initiated the space station program?
:
: For that matter, is that *not* why Kennedy initiated the moon program?

: Well, to be fair, not really. It was to win the Cold War by
: non-military means. But it had little to do with space.

What about the speculation of actually going to the moon with the
Russians? JFk was alleged to have actually suggested that. I think the
Apollo-Soyuz in 75 would have occurred earlier had JFK lived. But that is
my speculation.

Eric

: --
: simberg.interglobal.org * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
: interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

: "Extraordinary launch vehicles require extraordinary markets..."
: Swap the first . and @ and throw out the ".trash" to email me.
: Here's my email address for autospammers:
Old November 17th 03, 08:39 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Derek Lyons wrote:
It's an open question that, had JFK lived, would Apollo have actually
happened at all? Contrary to popular mythos JFK was a supporter of
cold war chest beating, not of the space program.

Indeed, there are signs that JFK was having second thoughts about the cost
of Apollo. I'm not sure it would have been canceled had he lived, but I
suspect it would have been throttled back substantially.

Much of the speed
and urgency that Apollo developed was because the nation saw it as a
monument to the young, popular, and assassinated President.

Indeed so. JFK's tragic death made a number of his most prominent
programs politically untouchable for several years, and Apollo was one of
them. When the assassination did start to fade from immediate memory,
NASA started to have budget problems and started to lose its more
ambitious programs.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |
Old November 18th 03, 06:45 PM
Eric Chomko

Henry Spencer ) wrote:
: In article ,
: Derek Lyons wrote:
[...]

When exactly was that?

I think LBJ being a Texan and Houston being the seat of mission control
made the space program safe under his presidency as well.

Eric

: --
Old November 18th 03, 06:51 PM
Eric Chomko

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:31:40 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
: (Eric Chomko) made the phosphor on my monitor
: glow in such a way as to indicate that:

: : For that matter, is that *not* why Kennedy initiated the moon program?
:
: : Well, to be fair, not really. It was to win the Cold War by
: : non-military means. But it had little to do with space.
:
: What about the speculation of actually going to the moon with the
: Russians? JFk was alleged to have actually suggested that. I think the
: Apollo-Soyuz in 75 would have occurred earlier had JFK lived. But that is
: my speculation.

: Yes, speculation is all it is. Had Kennedy lived, I doubt that things
: would have gone any differently, since it's now historical record that
: he didn't give a damn about space.

Total partisan BS! JFK took a more active role in space than any
Republican president and probably more so than any other president
period. Perhaps you are one of those righties that likes
reassassinating JFK at every turn?

You're a legend in your own mind. Fox news indeed. You and O'Reilly, yeah,
that's some real talent.

Your politics are PREDICTABLE!

Eric

: --

Old November 18th 03, 08:42 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Eric Chomko wrote:
: ...When the assassination did start to fade from immediate memory,
: NASA started to have budget problems and started to lose its more
: ambitious programs.

When exactly was that?
I think LBJ being a Texan and Houston being the seat of mission control
made the space program safe under his presidency as well.

Unfortunately, not so. NASA's budget, and in particular its long-term
follow-ons to existing programs, suffered badly in the summer of 1967.
In spring 1967, NASA selected a second batch of scientist-astronauts; in
fall 1967, when they reported for duty, the first thing they heard was
Deke Slayton telling them he didn't have any missions for them to fly.

There had been strong hints of trouble developing a year or so earlier,
but summer 1967 was when it got bad.

LBJ was preoccupied with his pet war by that time. He expressed regrets
about the NASA budget cuts, but didn't put any political capital into
trying to stop them.