old literature about Ceres as a planet

Old August 25th 06, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko

Default old literature about Ceres as a planet

Does anyone know where I can find old literature on Ceres as a planet?
I'm looking for tables, orbital elements, physical characteristics,
etc. of Ceres, not as an asteroid (I know where to kind that), but as a
planet. Presumably, the information would be about Mecury, Venus,
Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus as Neptune and Pluto
hadn't been discovered yet.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Old August 30th 06, 05:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article .com,
Eric Chomko wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find old literature on Ceres as a planet?
I'm looking for tables, orbital elements, physical characteristics,
etc. of Ceres, not as an asteroid (I know where to kind that), but as a
planet. Presumably, the information would be about Mecury, Venus,
Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus as Neptune and Pluto
hadn't been discovered yet.

Correct. You need to look for astronomy/science books (etc.) published
between roughly 1801 (discovery of Ceres, soon followed by Pallas, Juno,
and Vesta) and 1845 (discovery of Astraea). That gap of several decades
between the first four asteroid discoveries and the fifth was what
inspired many sources to list them as planets -- when there were only four
and no specific expectation of more, it seemed reasonable.

No Neptune then (it was discovered in 1846, if I recall correctly) and
certainly no Pluto, and you may find Uranus listed under another name,
e.g. "Herschel" (there was a lengthy controversy about what to name it).