Star Colors

Old October 17th 03, 03:57 AM
Jose Suro

Default Star Colors

Hi all,

As my interests in astronomy have matured I find myself taking more and more
of my observing time on stars per se. I remember reading an article on the
net some time back on star colors and why they look the way they do. Sadly,
I've lost the link and can't seem to find it again. I find star colors
really interesting and would really appreciate if any one could point me in
the direction of any article having to do with star colors.

I shot the Sigma Cassiopeiae double the other night and I can't believe it
but the companion is really a light green. See he

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jsuro/sig...e_10162003.htm

I would love to find out why a star would actually look green!

Take Care,

JAS

Old October 17th 03, 05:04 AM
Mark Gingrich

Jose Suro wrote:

... I find star colors really interesting and would really appreciate
if any one could point me in the direction of any article having to do
with star colors.

Philip Steffey. "The Truth About Star Colors." _Sky and Telescope_,
September 1992, pp. 266-273.

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich San Leandro, California
Old October 17th 03, 05:35 AM
Chuck Taylor

"Jose Suro" wrote in message
m...
Hi all,

As my interests in astronomy have matured I find myself taking more and

more
of my observing time on stars per se. I remember reading an article on the
net some time back on star colors and why they look the way they do.

Sadly,
I've lost the link and can't seem to find it again. I find star colors
really interesting and would really appreciate if any one could point me

in
the direction of any article having to do with star colors.

I shot the Sigma Cassiopeiae double the other night and I can't believe it
but the companion is really a light green. See he

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jsuro/sig...e_10162003.htm

I would love to find out why a star would actually look green!

Hi Jose,

IIRC, S&T did a nice write up on this a few years back. It is amazing what
color contrasts will do. It was interesting to read about, but sometimes at
the scope, "Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to enjoy!"

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old October 17th 03, 06:08 AM
Ron B[ee]

Well Jose, I don't know if these are the articles you want. But try
these.
http://einstein.stcloudstate.edu/Dom...tellns/bv.html
http://www.geocities.com/ariane1au/Page029b.htm

Ron B[ee]
-----------

Old October 17th 03, 08:48 AM
Brian Tung

Jose Suro wrote:
I remember reading an article on the net some time back on star colors
and why they look the way they do.

I can't tell which article that might be, but I did write one on that
subject (there are lots of these on the net, though). Here's mine:

http://astro.isi.edu/games/green.html

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old October 17th 03, 01:04 PM
Jose Suro

Thanks all for the quick responses. Ron, the second article you posted is
very good. And, thanks Brian, it was your article that I lost.

Take Care,

JAS