Dumb Question about SAO

Old October 16th 03, 10:32 AM
Joe S.

Default Dumb Question about SAO

What does "SAO" stand for?

I understand that every/some/most/a lot of stars have SAO numbers.

Do SAO numbers apply only to stars?

Is there a catalog that cross-references SAO numbers to named stars and
vice-versa -- so, if I want to see Eps Lyrae in my GOTO, I can access the
SAO menu and tell it to GOTO SAO 12345?

Thanks.

--

----
Joe S.

Old October 16th 03, 10:59 AM
Michael A. Covington

"Joe S." wrote in message
What does "SAO" stand for?

Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Star Catalog.

I understand that every/some/most/a lot of stars have SAO numbers.

Down to about 9th magnitude, yes.

Do SAO numbers apply only to stars?

Yes.

Is there a catalog that cross-references SAO numbers to named stars and
vice-versa -- so, if I want to see Eps Lyrae in my GOTO, I can access the
SAO menu and tell it to GOTO SAO 12345?

Down to about 5th magnitude in my book, Celestial Objects for Modern
Telescopes. A more thorough one is available from the Astronomical Data
Center (it's the work of W. Barry Smith; you should be able to find it via
Google).

Actually, it bothers me that computerized telescopes do not let you enter
Bayer or Flamsteed designations (Alpha Centauri, 61 Cygni, etc.). They
ought to. Instead the telescope people seem to enjoy digging up "names"
that have been out of use for centuries.

My book gives information about all the widely used catalogues and systems
of nomenclature.

--
Clear skies,

Michael Covington -- www.covingtoninnovations.com
and (new) How to Use a Computerized Telescope

Old October 16th 03, 11:01 AM
Simon Pooley

"Joe S." wrote in message

What does "SAO" stand for?

SAO - Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Star Catalog

I understand that every/some/most/a lot of stars have SAO numbers.

Do SAO numbers apply only to stars?

Is there a catalog that cross-references SAO numbers to named stars and
vice-versa -- so, if I want to see Eps Lyrae in my GOTO, I can access the
SAO menu and tell it to GOTO SAO 12345?

Thanks.

A quick search on Jeeves found this
http://www.ledas.ac.uk/arnieV4/indhelp/indhelp_sao.html

extract
Overview
This database is based on the electronic version of the SAO catalog from
the Astronomical Data Center, which is itself based on an original
binary version of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory Star Catalog
(SAO, SAO Staff 1966). Subsequent improvements by T. A. Nagy (1979)
included the addition of cross-identifications from the Table of
Correspondences SAO/HD/DM/GC (Morin 1973). As a prelude to creation of
the 1984 version of the SAO, a new version of the SAO-HD-GC-DM Cross
Index was prepared (Roman, Warren, and Schofield 1983). The 1984 version
of the SAO contained the corrected and extended cross identifications,
all errata published up to January 1984 and known to the ADC, numerous
errors forwarded to the ADC by colleagues, and errors discovered at the
ADC during the course of this work. Clayton A. Smith of the U. S. Naval
Observatory provided J2000.0 positions and proper motions for the SAO
stars. Published and unpublished errors discovered in the previous
version (1984) have been corrected (up to May 1991).
/extract

HTH
--
Simon
51:31N 0:38W

Old October 16th 03, 05:15 PM
Les Blalock

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 05:32:22 -0400, "Joe S."
wrote:

What does "SAO" stand for?

I understand that every/some/most/a lot of stars have SAO numbers.

Do SAO numbers apply only to stars?

Is there a catalog that cross-references SAO numbers to named stars and
vice-versa -- so, if I want to see Eps Lyrae in my GOTO, I can access the
SAO menu and tell it to GOTO SAO 12345?

Thanks.

Which GOTO scope do you have? The Nexstar i-series (and I think GPS)
scopes have ~29,000 SAO stars but it's a real pain to use that list in
the scope.

Les Blalock
http://www.txastro.com
Old October 16th 03, 07:06 PM
Chuck Taylor

"Joe S." wrote in message
What does "SAO" stand for?

It stands for "Sold Astronomical Objects."

These are astronomical objects which have been sold through the
International Star Registry. Since the purchasers have an official
laser-printer certificate, and the names have been published in a book that
is registered with the library of Congress, these names are now official,
and must be used by astronomers. Of course, astronomers are jealous that
they didn't think of it first. Therefore astronomers have resisted using the
names. In a passive-aggressive move, they have refused to use the full
names, and are using only the numbers. The numbers were assigned in the
order of purchase. However congress is now drafting legislation that will
force astronomers to use the full names. This is only right, as these people
paid good money, and have official certificates.

Of course, as an officially published book, the names are protected by
International Copyright, thereby forcing the rest of the world to at least
use the numbers as well. And, as more copies of the book are registered with
governments around the world, eventually astronomers everywhere will have to
acknowledge the officialness of these names and use the full names and not
just the Sold Astronomical Objects numbers.

("It must be official. I have an official laser-printer certificate!")

;-)

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old October 16th 03, 07:34 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Chuck Taylor" wrote in message
"Joe S." wrote in message
What does "SAO" stand for?

It stands for "Sold Astronomical Objects."

These are astronomical objects which have been sold through the
International Star Registry.

Note to the peanut gallery: He's kidding. When you say things like this on
the Internet, all too many people take them literally!

Old October 16th 03, 07:43 PM
Bill Becker

"John Steinberg" wrote in message
Here's a little acronym guide that could help keep the astronomy comics
away from the mic. g

http://chandra.harvard.edu/resources/acronyms.html

--
-John Steinberg
email: lid

...And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
--Sir Bedevere

Thanks, John. I found that link to be PDU!

Best regards,
Bil

Old October 16th 03, 08:26 PM
Chuck Taylor

"John Steinberg" wrote in message

Here's a little acronym guide that could help keep the astronomy comics
away from the mic. g

OK, I'll step away from the mic/keyboard and go back into my cave!

;-)

Old October 16th 03, 09:06 PM
Davoud

Michael A. Covington:
Note to the peanut gallery: He's kidding.

Maybe, but I still have my laser-printed certificates of ownership.

When you say things like this on
the Internet, all too many people take them literally!

If it weren't true, they wouldn't have put it on the Internet, right?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

A Dumb MER question OM History 38 January 15th 04 05:12 AM
A Dumb MER question Japperm Policy 44 January 9th 04 04:23 AM
Big bang question - Dumb perhaps Graytown History 14 August 3rd 03 09:50 PM
Dumb Question About Foam Test Jon Berndt Space Shuttle 5 July 30th 03 06:12 AM