digital camera adapters

Old October 14th 03, 11:07 PM
sea_kayaker

Default digital camera adapters

What do I need to adapt my Canon PowerShoot A70 digital camera
to my telescope? I assume it's analogous to SLR cameras. Do I
need to get a T-ring like an SLR, and then an extension tube
which can accomodate an eyepiece? If there is an analogous T-ring,
is there just one standard size?

Are there any good web sites to help educate me on all of this?

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Old October 15th 03, 12:35 AM
Thierry

"sea_kayaker" wrote in message
What do I need to adapt my Canon PowerShoot A70 digital camera
to my telescope? I assume it's analogous to SLR cameras. Do I
need to get a T-ring like an SLR, and then an extension tube
which can accomodate an eyepiece? If there is an analogous T-ring,
is there just one standard size?

Hi,

If you can not find an adapter to your dealer contact William optics or
specialized shops like Scopetronix.

Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/imag...digitalcam.htm

Old October 15th 03, 12:41 AM
Nick Zivanovic

"sea_kayaker" wrote in message
What do I need to adapt my Canon PowerShoot A70 digital camera
to my telescope?

You need an adapter designed for afocal coupling (camera lens to eyepiece) such
as the Scopetronix Digi-T.

http://www.airydisk.com/digi-t.htm

Are there any good web sites to help educate me on all of this?

The Yahoo digital astro group is a good place to start.

Nick Zivanovic
www.airydisk.com

Old October 15th 03, 06:04 AM
Matthew Ota

I have the same camera and the Scopetronix adapter works very well.

Thierry wrote:

"sea_kayaker" wrote in message

What do I need to adapt my Canon PowerShoot A70 digital camera
to my telescope? I assume it's analogous to SLR cameras. Do I
need to get a T-ring like an SLR, and then an extension tube
which can accomodate an eyepiece? If there is an analogous T-ring,
is there just one standard size?

Hi,

If you can not find an adapter to your dealer contact William optics or
specialized shops like Scopetronix.

Thierry
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/imag...digitalcam.htm

Are there any good web sites to help educate me on all of this?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Matthew B. Ota
Orange County Astronomers Astroimagers SIG
http://www.ocastronomers.org/
Telescopes In Education (TIE)
http://tie.jpl.nasa.gov/tie/index.html
Jet Propulsion Laboratory Saturn Observation Campaign
http://soc.jpl.nasa.gov/index.cfm

Old October 15th 03, 07:14 AM
David Nakamoto

Also try www.digitalastronomy.com

Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mighty Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

Old October 15th 03, 04:13 PM
brocpuffs

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:14:03 GMT, "David Nakamoto"
wrote:

Also try www.digitalastronomy.com

Hey thanks for this link! I never thought I'd be able to fit my
unthreaded Fuji Coolpix to my scope.

James
Old October 17th 03, 02:59 PM
Gary Meehan

Matthew Ota wrote:
I have the same camera and the Scopetronix adapter works very well.

Thanks for the input! Out of curiosity, what sort of luck have you had
taking pictures. Are there typical settings that you use for taking
shots of the Moon, for example? I assume that you use the manual mode.

I have a Scopetronix MaxView 40 on order. Kind of an expensive
solution, though I hear great things about the adapter. Using my
2x barlow will give me some options in terms of image scale. Figure that
I can also get a Tele Vue adapter for my 8mm Radian eyepiece if I am
happy with the results I get with the camera. The A70 sure takes
great pics of non-astronomical scenes. Hope it does equally well
with the Moon and planets.

-Gary

www: http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~meehan