View Finder for C11(C-11)?

Old October 16th 03, 09:01 PM
W. Watson

Default View Finder for C11(C-11)?

Finder #7210
Bracket #7215
Items #2 and #3 in the top row of the URL you sent.

Jan Owens, your msg contained some funky html and I could not copy the text with my reply.

--
Wayne T. Watson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet, Nevada City, CA)
-- GMT-8 hr std. time, RJ Rcvr 39° 8' 0" N, 121° 1' 0" W

"It is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them." -- Adlai Stevenson

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Imaginarium Museum: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews/imaginarium.html

Old October 16th 03, 09:04 PM
W. Watson

I only see one mounting bracket there (Orion URL). $9.95. That's what they sent me.

Old October 16th 03, 09:07 PM
Jan Owen

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address
"Al" wrote in message
t...
Hi Bill,

Actually, less is usually better, but not in this case. The original

mount
that came with the C-14 had only 3 adjustment screws and the rear part

of
the finder scope would pivot on something like a rubber O-ring. It

seemed
like a super idea at first, but in practice it was lousy. I could not
remove the finder from the OTA without going through the complete

exercise
of adjustment the next time I used the scope. It was necessary for me

remove the finder because I stored the OTA in the trunk it came in and

it
would not fit with the finder attached. So, these days I just remove

the
new finder at the dovetail and it stays in adjustment for the next

viewing
session.

Hope everything is well with you!

Al

That's what I do too, with my 10" SCT, but I use a Meade 60mm finder for a
little more light. The rings are essentially as you describe, though.
Just slightly larger.

I just can't get excited by these new three (or two!) screw finder
mounts...

Old October 16th 03, 09:23 PM
Bill Becker

"Al" wrote in message
t...
Hi Bill,

Actually, less is usually better, but not in this case. The original

mount
that came with the C-14 had only 3 adjustment screws and the rear part of
the finder scope would pivot on something like a rubber O-ring. It seemed
like a super idea at first, but in practice it was lousy. I could not
remove the finder from the OTA without going through the complete exercise
of adjustment the next time I used the scope. It was necessary for me to
remove the finder because I stored the OTA in the trunk it came in and it
would not fit with the finder attached. So, these days I just remove the
new finder at the dovetail and it stays in adjustment for the next viewing
session.

Sorry, I just meant to say that it was much easier(read quicker) to align my
finder(with 3 adjustment screws)
to my main scope than it was using finders with *more* adjustment screws.
Btw, I also remove my finder(Vixen 7x50) at the dovetail now...it's the only
way to go, imho.

Hope everything is well with you!

Yes it is...hope you're having a great 2003, my good friend!

Al

Best regards,
Bill

Old October 16th 03, 09:55 PM
Jan Owen

There's only one in the photo, but if you will click on it like I said in
my previous post, it will open another page, which will reveal that there
are actually two different dovetail brackets. Probably identical in most
respects, except for the mounting screw holes...

Old October 16th 03, 10:09 PM
Jan Owen

What I'm about to say may not be true of Celestrons at all (there are lots
of Celestron owners here to tell me if I'm wrong), but with my Meade 10",
the screws around the rear perimeter are arranged at differing intervals,
so a bracket that will fit in one spot won't necessarily fit somewhere
else around that perimeter.

Did you try to fit the bracket all around the top of the OTA using
different screw pairs on top, on the left side, and on the right, to see
if any two might line up properly? I'd bet whoever designed that bracket
(if indeed the one you have is the one you are supposed to have) had
actual screw pattern dimensions to go from when he/she designed it. So it
would be surprising to me if it wouldn't fit somewhere. My Meade two
ring, six screw, 60mm dovetail finder bracket will fit on both sides of my
10". But not necessarily exactly where I would most like to put it...

On the other hand, with the stuff that's being made today, I don't have
any IDEA why I'm so confident that the right Orion bracket will fit a
variety of SCT's as advertised... I guess it's borne of good experiences
with Orion in the past... Haven't bought anything from them really
recently...

However it plays out, sorry you've had a bad experience, and I hope Orion
makes it work out for you... They have a hard-earned reputation for
having done so many times in the past...

"W. Watson" wrote in message
Yes, I called Orion. They said to send it back, which is what I will do.

BTW, when I got the OTA,
there was a mounting bracket for the scope that was triangular shaped

with a circular blue pad
underneath where it rested on the tube. I have no idea if it's a

Celestron bracket. I just got a pdf
of the C-11 (not a nexstar), and did a quick spin on the computer to see

if there's anything helpful
there. It looks like I'll have to print it all out. Too much to handle

on the computer.

BTW, the guy from Orion said to his knowledge they had only tried the

adapter to a C-8 and lower.
Oh, well.

Jan Owen wrote:

Have you called Orion?

They have two different dovetail mounting brackets. Perhaps they sent

you
the wrong one by accident.

Failing that, since it's probably made from nice, soft, aluminum, is

there
enough space at the end of the slots to take a small round file and
elongate those slots enough to fit? Only do this AFTER talking to

Orion.
They have a good reputation for dealing with customer service issues.

And
if the part is designed to fit the various SCT's I would expect it

to...
IF it isn't the one that is made for OTHER scopes...

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address
"W. Watson" wrote in message
I purchased a straight through view finder for my C-11 from Orion

but it
doesn't fit. It included a
dovetail mounting bracket, but the slots to hook it to the OTA are

just
shy of working by maybe
1/8". Is there a view finder for the C-11? I'm borrowing the OTA for

about 6 months and do not have
a manual for it.

Old October 17th 03, 12:29 AM
W. Watson

Yes, I tried at least two locations. The one I chose had the closest holes. There were several
places that obviously would not take the bracket. Maybe something alluded me last night. I'll check
it later. I'll look at the URL again. I don't recall seeing a spec on the C-11. I just got that
knowledge from one of their techs.

Just looked. Don't see it. BTW, the nuts provided wouldn't even fit the C-11. I think I'll try
Anacortes. I don't think Orion is interested in pursuing it any further.

Old October 17th 03, 07:12 AM
W. Watson

After looking at the pdf C-11 manual Celestron sent me, I think the only way to proceed is to buy the
Celestron bracket and viewfinder. Both part no. are given in the manual. The triangular bracket I
mentioned in an earlier post is the way they attach the bracket and finder (9x50) that is offered with
the scope. About $100 for the two pieces from Anacortes.

There are two pairs of screw holes that could be helpful in mounting a finder. They are separated by 1
5/16" and 1 10/16". The Orion bracket will not properly span either of them.