ASTRO: NGC 4051 under good skies

Old May 10th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 4051 under good skies

Last week I made two trips to dark(er) places, one of them was OK, the other
one was marred by seeing that can only be called abysmal.
This picture of NGC 4051 was from the first good night (May 7th). I was an
hour's drive (20 kilometers in Berlin and 67 outside) to the northwest of
Berlin (near a small city called Fehrbellin), so the southeastern sky was
quite bright from the lights of Berlin, which didn't bother me as I was
imaging to the south and southwest. Limiting mag near the zenith was 5.7.
I have seen much better skies, but I would be very happy if I had something
like mag 5.5 skies every night.

One thing that struck me while processing the data was that some things like
deconvolution in CCDSharp and DDP in AstroArt do actually work if you have
good data. With the images I get from the city the above mentioned routines
only produce rubbish, while they did a good job on the data I acquired near
Fehrbellin. Also I would not have needed a flatfield, while having a good
flat is the most important thing of all when imaging from Berlin.

Colour will follow, my first try at processing turned out a bit odd though,
as if I have messed up the order of the colour filters.

I did two iterations of deconvolution in CCDSharp.

Taken with a 10" Meade ACF at f/5.7 on a G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 17x5
minutes.

The picture can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/4051-17x5gut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4051-17x5gut.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1911
Old May 10th 08, 11:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

I hope you get out to that site often.. nice view and good detail. Your new
10" looks to be a good one Stefan!

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com
"Stefan Lilge" wrote in message
[...]

ASTRO: Any good but lesser known astro sites? Jeff Hopkins Astro Pictures 3 January 20th 07 08:17 PM
Daily #4051 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 February 16th 06 02:16 PM
Good astro binocular, really Stephen Paul Amateur Astronomy 0 November 14th 05 05:17 PM
Dark Skies West, Dark Skies East [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 3 September 3rd 05 02:54 AM
I think this will be a very good camera for Astro AP Amateur Astronomy 2 January 3rd 05 12:37 AM