Ordering online from the US

Old March 19th 04, 11:38 PM
{RainmakeR}

Default Ordering online from the US

Hi all,

I live in Australia and have wanted to get into amateur astronomy since I
was a kid. I've been looking at possibly getting a Celestron NexStar 130
GT, however the cost difference between buying this scope in Australia as
opposed to via the US is incredible; average Australian price for this scope
is in the order of 300% more expensive (and similar margins for ALL
telescopes).

I have found the average online price in the States to be around $350 USD
for this scope. However, once you add on shipping via these online stores,
the cost increases dramatically (anywhere in the range of $150-350 USD for
shipping to Australia). I don't care if it takes weeks as opposed to days
to get here if I can get it here for a good price. Anyone ordered online
from other countries before? Are there any better options?

Kind regards,

{R}

Old March 20th 04, 10:09 AM
Roger Hamlett

"{RainmakeR}" wrote in message
[...]

Overseas shipping, is expensive, because of the extra packaging involved,
paperwork, and insurance. Remember the 'air' shipping companies will
normally handle the customs clearance at your end as well. Slower shippers,
often ship 'for collection', and you then have to either handle clarance
yourself, or pay another agent to do it. Also (unfortunately), the weight of
the packaging also gets carriage charged on it. Remember too, that when the
scope arrives in Australia, you will be liable for the local taxes, on the
entire price (including shipping!...). This tends to 'degrade' the saving
somewhat. Check before getting involved in this, what the rate will be.
Unfortunately the 'slow' services, involve stuff going into containers on
ships, and is normaly aimed at people who can fill a entire container. Hence
'small' packages are not normally shipped this way (also the sea air, may
not do the scope any good, unless it is fully plastic wrapped...).
The 'damage ratio', goes up massively with the slower shipping services,
which is why most companies will only ship with the larger companies. When
you see equipment, that is packed in 2" foam, inside a 3/4" thick ply chest,
inside a container, that has had a fork lift 'tine' passed right through it,
you start to understand why the charges can appear silly...
Remember too, that if you buy from the States, your warranty is back in the
US.
Now provided you understand all the problems, there can be very significant
savings doing this. However not as large as may at first appear. The cost of
shippping, taxes, and warranty support, probably represent 2/3rd of the
mark-up you are seeing.
There was some discussion a while ago, that one particular Australian
supplier was doing some items at somewhat better prices, so some more
searching may reveal a bit better figure than you have so far found. Also,
don't be afraid to look to other locations. Remember that some places like
Hong-Kong, are more used to shipping abroad, and occasionally have some kit
at very agressive prices (I must admit I have not seen Celestron stuff
there). Be prepared also to look at other models, and consider second hand.

Best Wishes

Old March 20th 04, 03:49 PM
Mike Simmons

Roger gives all the advantages and disadvantages. With those caveats, if
you still want to order from someone in the US who will ship by whatever
method you prefer, try Woodland Hills Camera and Telescopes --
http://www.telescopes.net. They can ship "small" by sea, usually at
considerable savings. The charges on a ship are by volume rather than
weight. Possibly greater risk and definitely longer delivery times, as
Roger said. But contact Farah there and see what she can work out for you.

Mike Simmons
Old March 20th 04, 05:06 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Mike Simmons" wrote in message
news
Roger gives all the advantages and disadvantages. With those caveats, if
you still want to order from someone in the US who will ship by whatever
method you prefer, try Woodland Hills Camera and Telescopes --
http://www.telescopes.net. They can ship "small" by sea, usually at
considerable savings. The charges on a ship are by volume rather than
weight. Possibly greater risk and definitely longer delivery times, as
Roger said. But contact Farah there and see what she can work out for

you.

Mike Simmons

Sounds like a vry useful contact. :-)

Old March 20th 04, 08:40 PM
Laura Halliday

"{RainmakeR}" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I live in Australia and have wanted to get into amateur astronomy since I
was a kid. I've been looking at possibly getting a Celestron NexStar 130
GT, however the cost difference between buying this scope in Australia as
opposed to via the US is incredible; average Australian price for this scope
is in the order of 300% more expensive (and similar margins for ALL
telescopes).

I have found the average online price in the States to be around $350 USD
for this scope. However, once you add on shipping via these online stores,
the cost increases dramatically (anywhere in the range of $150-350 USD for
shipping to Australia). I don't care if it takes weeks as opposed to days
to get here if I can get it here for a good price. Anyone ordered online
from other countries before? Are there any better options?

I live in Canada and routinely order stuff from other
countries, including the U.S.A.

There are pluses and minuses. The main plus for me is
availability: while we have a couple of excellent telescope
stores in town, and several excellent camera stores too,
they cannot match the stock of somebody like B&H or Anacortes,
and I don't expect them to. Their prices are reasonable,
reflecting mainly the higher cost of doing a lower-volume
bueiness.

Support is a biggie on technologically complex products,
and while you can import a NexStar yourself, if it breaks,
you will have to ship it back to the U.S. (at your
own expense) for service. The Australian distributors
are not at all likely to honour the warranty. Bear that
in mind when you add up the figures.

While it's only one datum, I just had a look at the
Binocular and Telescope Shop (Sydney - you'll find me
in their guest book) web page, and their online prices
are only slightly more than the MSRP (plus shipping)
of, for example, Meade telescopes.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte
Old March 20th 04, 08:55 PM
Chuck

Hi Laura, I'd buy used from Astromart. That way, you get a better buy for
your dollar, right off the mark. Second, you save on customs, taxes, etc.
There is some risk, but I just bought a Zuiko Lens using Paypal from a
fellow in Australia (I live in the U.S.) and we both made it work. By the
way what is a NexStar 130? Is that a Nexstar 5?

--

Clear Skies,

Chuck

"Laura Halliday" wrote in message
om...

Old March 20th 04, 09:31 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Chuck" wrote in message
Hi Laura, I'd buy used from Astromart. That way, you get a better buy

for
your dollar, right off the mark. Second, you save on customs, taxes, etc.
There is some risk, but I just bought a Zuiko Lens using Paypal from a
fellow in Australia (I live in the U.S.) and we both made it work. By

the
way what is a NexStar 130? Is that a Nexstar 5?

--

Clear Skies,

Chuck

No, it is a larger version of the Nexstar 114. It is fairly new, which in
part probably explains the high 'local' prices...

Best Wishes

Old March 20th 04, 10:07 PM
Chuck

I don't know if Hardin ships to Australia, but if they do, Laura could get a
6" Dob for $249 or 8" Dob for $399 plus shipping new and probably see a lot
more. Another option is get a used 80GT on Astromart and put an Orion
80mm ED on it in a few years if she really needs GOTO. I haven't been
impressed with the 114 series myself ...

--

Clear Skies,

Chuck

Old March 21st 04, 07:12 PM
Laura Halliday

"Chuck" wrote in message ...
I don't know if Hardin ships to Australia, but if they do, Laura could get a
6" Dob for $249 or 8" Dob for $399 plus shipping new and probably see a lot
more. Another option is get a used 80GT on Astromart and put an Orion
80mm ED on it in a few years if she really needs GOTO. I haven't been
impressed with the 114 series myself ...

I'm not the original Australian poster. If I was, I'd
look for a decent Dob and some good star charts as
a first telescope. BinTel have stacks of them (probably
Synta). I'm sure others do too. Spend the money on the
optics, which are what matter anyway.

I bought my first "real" telescope (a Synta reflector)
locally, here in Vancouver. I now have two main
instruments, an 8" Celestron SCT and a 5" Synta achromat,
both bought locally. The Celestron lives in its (non-
GOTO) fork mount, while I've upgraded the refractor
from the EQ-4 it came with to a G-11. Nice, though
it's not every day you bolt your telescope to something
that looks like it came off the Hummer assembly line... :-)

I Bought the G-11 quasi-locally - Anacortes are less than
2 hours away, depending on the border lineup. I didn't
have to pay any duty at the border bringing it back (most
things from the U.S. are duty-free in to Canada under
NAFTA), but still had to pay a bundle in sales tax.

Mail-order is really handy (I buy lots of things that
way, and have orders from Anacortes and B&H in transit
as I write this), but I wouldn't recommend it for a
first telescope.

Old March 21st 04, 08:31 PM
Chuck

Sorry for the mix-up Laura, and thanks for the graciousness of your reply.
I have an N11, which I'm very happy with in Colorado. Those really big
dobs do call to me though ...