Alien Robots?

Old July 8th 04, 10:06 PM
phil360

Default Alien Robots?

Any Alien race that we ever come in to contact with will have built
technology either in the shape of spaceship or a radio.

If a Alien race builds machines, it is only a matter of time before the
machines are more sophisticated than the creatures that built them. I think
it is likely that the machines will far out live their masters and go on to
build their own civilization.

The mental psyche of a machine is pure guess work, if the machines decided
to propagate themselves, they could start a colonization drive of nearby
planets. This machine Empire would grow slowly at first, but at a geometric
rate (i.e. 2,4,8,16,32,) and in a short amount of time (only a few million
years) the machine Empire would populate the known universe. Which,
although big, the universe is only growing at a numetric rate (1,2,3,4,5,6).

A geometric growth rate will always far out perform a numetric one. Since
the Universe is billions of years old, at this point it should have been
fully colonized by now. Emplty planets like mars should be extremely rare.
(I believe that the presence of empty planets are an early indication that
we are infact alone.)

I believe that it is far more likely that we will meet a machine race than a
biological one.

Old July 9th 04, 07:13 AM
Mike Williams

Wasn't it phil360 who wrote:
[...]

Firstly: I would suspect that any species capable of building self-
replicating machines that are more sophisticated than the guys that
built them would be aware that it would be a terribly dangerous thing to
do, and would build in some strict safeguards to limit their development
and population.

Secondly: I can't see any reason why a machine civilisation would last
any longer than an organic one, or have a faster population growth. In
fact, I can imagine machines being logical enough to decide that 100 or
1000 planets is enough and deciding to limit their population to a fixed
level using renewable resources. Organic civilisations are more likely
to be driven by an illogical biological imperative to reproduce and
therefore regularly need to move into fresh real estate.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Old July 9th 04, 09:45 AM
Rob Dekker

"phil360" wrote in message
Any Alien race that we ever come in to contact with will have built
technology either in the shape of spaceship or a radio.

If a Alien race builds machines, it is only a matter of time before the
machines are more sophisticated than the creatures that built them. I

think
it is likely that the machines will far out live their masters and go on

build their own civilization.

I believe that it is far more likely that we will meet a machine race than

biological one.

We might not be able to tell the difference (that we are dealing with
a machine or a naturally evolved species).

Old July 10th 04, 12:46 AM
phil360

Well what ever you think about evoloution, design is a lot better.

And evolution has already proved you wrong on that count.

Proved me wrong?
In what way?

Old July 10th 04, 12:51 AM
Martin 53N 1W

phil360 wrote:
Well what ever you think about evoloution, design is a lot better.

And evolution has already proved you wrong on that count.

Go forth and multiply
(Note the pun(s)... (;-))

Cheers,
Martin

--
---------- OS? What's that?!
- Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.

Planet_X: Our 10th Planet Rudolph_X Astronomy Misc 841 May 16th 04 05:00 PM
Why Teams of Co-Operating Robots Make Good Planetary Explorers Ron Astronomy Misc 0 March 31st 04 06:01 PM
Coal layer in Mars strata found by robots Archimedes Plutonium Astronomy Misc 13 January 28th 04 10:12 PM
Alien messages Rusty Barton Policy 1 August 1st 03 05:11 AM
Humans, Robots Work Together To Test 'Spacewalk Squad' Concept Ron Baalke Space Station 0 July 2nd 03 04:15 PM