Mars Rover

Old February 26th 04, 06:37 PM
bart janssens

Default Mars Rover

What's it like having everybody on the planet laughing at you?

It is precisely the SAME FEELING that COPERNICUS and GALILEO
experienced when they claimed that the bible was wrong to say
that everything (also the sun) turned around the earth ....

Nobody laughed at them. Indeed, their works were accepted as the
basis of modern astronomy. The RCC freaked, because it threatened the
canonical view of the universe.

The reaction of the Roman Catholic Church was worse
than "laughing"..

Moron, I had a telescope that used a motor for clean tracking of an
object. That motor burned out. I lost the track. Thousands of
others on the beach that night *did* track all the way to MECO.

But, none of those thousands saw the Space Shuttle dis-appear
behind the horizon, isn't it?

(and for this reason...I expect that we will NEVER AGAIN...
witness a SPACE SHUTTLE LAUNCH - except in the mist or
with a explosion like the Challenger -
because it DOES NOT DIS-APPEAR BEHIND THE HORIZON...,
so it can not be in ORBIT...)

Wrong.

You, yourself admitted that you saw eight Space Shuttle launches,
and NOT ONCE you saw "it" dis-appear behind the horizon...

Every "christian on the planet" was laughing at them...,
but - as you probably know - they were wrong...,
just like you are wrong to believe that the Space Shuttle
went INTO ORBIT...

Wrong again. I can show you the debate, and many Protesants accepted
Galileo's work as part of the general acceptance of science

I meant the "CATHOLIC" christians...

Old February 26th 04, 09:12 PM
Douglas Berry

Lo, many moons past, on 26 Feb 2004 09:37:54 -0800, a stranger called
by some (bart janssens) came forth and
told this tale in alt.atheism

What's it like having everybody on the planet laughing at you?

It is precisely the SAME FEELING that COPERNICUS and GALILEO
experienced when they claimed that the bible was wrong to say
that everything (also the sun) turned around the earth ....

Nobody laughed at them. Indeed, their works were accepted as the
basis of modern astronomy. The RCC freaked, because it threatened the
canonical view of the universe.

The reaction of the Roman Catholic Church was worse
than "laughing"..

Yup. Trials for heresy aren't humorous. But it shows that people
took this seriously. And while the church took four centuries to
realize the truth, Galileo's contemporaries understood the impact of
his observations, and the Copernican view of the solar system was
quickly accepted.

Moron, I had a telescope that used a motor for clean tracking of an
object. That motor burned out. I lost the track. Thousands of
others on the beach that night *did* track all the way to MECO.

But, none of those thousands saw the Space Shuttle dis-appear
behind the horizon, isn't it?

Actually, many of them did.

Wrong.

You, yourself admitted that you saw eight Space Shuttle launches,
and NOT ONCE you saw "it" dis-appear behind the horizon...

Did I say that? I was at one night launch. Other people there kept
tracking to the horizon. I saw their scopes moving the way mine
refused to.

Wrong again. I can show you the debate, and many Protesants accepted
Galileo's work as part of the general acceptance of science

I meant the "CATHOLIC" christians...

Then be specific. And you're still wrong.
--

Douglas Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

Ezekiel 13:20 "Wherefore thus saith the
Lord GOD; Behold, I am against your pillows"