Satellite Identification Needed

Old November 20th 03, 07:39 PM
Stephen Fels

Default Satellite Identification Needed

"stella info" wrote in message
m...
I could give you an identification but then Larry would berate
me for giving you a fish instead of a trawler.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he will take out a second mortgage to buy a $20,000
bass boat and begin calling in "sick" for work.
--
Stephen
Home Page: stephmon.com

Old November 21st 03, 03:59 AM
Ted Molczan

"DaveOesper" wrote in message
Given an accurate location, position, and time (as seen through a

telescope),
is there a web site that will identify the satellite?

We have the following unidentified satellite observation to report (on two

CCD
images using a 24-inch telescope):

Location: Erwin W. Fick Observatory
42 00 20.3 N, 93 56 38.3 W, 333 m

Position:
RA(2000) = 01 23 43
DEC(2000) = -05 05 46

Time:
11/19/03, 3:47:40 UT (+/- 10 seconds)

We estimate the angular speed of the unidentified object as approximately

20
arseconds per second of time.

Any help in identifying this object would be most appreciated!

The final stage of the Ariane rocket that launched the Sicral and Skynet 4F
satellites in 2001, passed within 0.02 deg of the reported position, about
37 s prior to the reported time. Its angular velocity was 0.0061 deg/s,
close to the 0.0056 deg/s reported.

The object is 12 m in length and 2.6 m in diameter.

These were its 2-line orbital elements nearest in epoch to the observation:

1 26696U 01005C 03322.81306861 .00001148 00000-0 10599-2 0 5400
2 26696 6.8533 246.8309 7216193 275.7122 13.5846 2.32429261 23062

At the time of the observation it was at a range of 22,031 km. Based upon
its dimensions, range and illumination, tts predicted magnitude was about
11.

Ted Molczan

Old November 21st 03, 04:47 PM
DaveOesper

Thank you Ted Molczan for making the identification, and to everyone else for
their helpful comments! I was also able to determine the identity by using the
Project Pluto Guide 8 software (http://www.projectpluto.com/) and downloading
and importing the (more or less) complete satellite orbital element set from
Tony Beresford (http://home.iprimus.com.au/aberesford/alldat.zip).

This is fun!

Best Regards,

David Oesper
Ames, Iowa

Old November 21st 03, 09:56 PM
Larry Brash

stella info wrote:

I could give you an identification but then Larry would berate
me for giving you a fish instead of a trawler.

Ooops, it looks like I have become the newsgroup's net nanny :-)

--
Larry Brash