NOSS 2-2 last night

Old August 6th 03, 09:42 PM
Andrzej Kotarba

Default NOSS 2-2 last night

Do you have any NOSS TLE? or any information how to predict the passes?

ak

"Ed Cannon" wrote in message
Last night at a dark-sky star party there was a pretty good pass
of the NOSS 2-2 (91-076C, D, and E) triangle, pretty easy to see
without magnification. So quite a few of the folks got to see
them right up until they disappeared into the Earth's shadow.

Ed Cannon - - Austin, Texas, USA
(Remove "donotspam".)

Old August 6th 03, 10:25 PM
Paolo Cosetti

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:42:51 +0200, "Andrzej Kotarba"
wrote:

Do you have any NOSS TLE? or any information how to predict the passes?

ak

You can find them he

http://users2.ev1.net/~mmccants/tles/

regards
Paolo

satellite tracking software
http://www.satbuster.com

Old August 6th 03, 11:36 PM
Ted Molczan

"Andrzej Kotarba" wrote in message
Do you have any NOSS TLE? or any information how to predict the passes?

Heavens-Above provides satellite predictions for thousands of objects,
including NOSS, in the form of ephemerides and tracks plotted on star
charts:

http://www.heavens-above.com

You will need to provide Heavens-Above the US Space Command ID number of the
objects you wish to predict. Those of the 2nd generation NOSS a

NOSS 2-1 20691, 20692, 20642

NOSS 2-2 21799, 21808, 21809

NOSS 2-3 23908, 23862, 23936

NOSS 2-4 26905, 26907

Since the triads are in close formation, running a prediction for one member
is sufficient to find the others.

Objects 26905 and 26907 are about as bright as earlier 2nd generation NOSS,
and fly in as close a formation, looking much like a 2nd generation triad
missing one member. It is my belief that the third member failed to separate
from the Atlas 2AS Centaur stage. The following article in the current issue
of U.S. News and World Report reveals that a failure of some sort occurred
soon after their launch, on 2001 Sep 08, which tends to support my belief:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/0...news/11nro.htm

Another launch in the series may take place in November.

The NOSS orbits are not published by the U.S. government; however, they are
routinely tracked by hobbyists who maintain accurate orbital elements.

Ted Molczan

Old August 7th 03, 12:30 PM
Tony Vinci

"Ted Molczan" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
[...]

..
Thanks everybody for the information, however I do use Heavens-Above
(a great site) and I do regularly view satelltes. In fact, I was hoping
to break 100 last month but only logged 91 viewed AND idenrified in
last month's 31 days. Had 16 unidentified but I do not count them.
Anyway my question was - does anybody know the distance between the
elements in a formation (especially that last one, NOS 2-2).
Tony