Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground

Old April 14th 04, 04:34 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Default The Testimony of ISS Flight Director Bob Haller (was Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground)

(bob haller) wrote in
:

Noted that again you desire the appearance of safety, not actual
safety.

Ahh the problem is that this mirrorsclosely the dont bother taking
pictures of columbia on its final mission.

Kinda a dont look policy.

No, it's a "concentrate your troubleshooting on where the evidence suggests
the problem actually is, rather than perform a risky EVA to find out where
it probably isn't."

I HOPE AND PRAY nothing bad happens! But imagine nasa tryng to explain
a day from now a dead crew and out of control station with no
possiblity of repair, and patrts going to be deorbiting randomly
across the globe....

I'm having a lot more fun imagining you as an ISS flight director sending
the crew out on EVA, getting them killed as a result, and getting your ass
hauled before an investigation board.

Adm. Gehman: So, Mr. Haller, I understand it was your decision to send
Fincke and Padalka on this EVA to inspect the upper hull of Zvezda - is
that correct?

Mr. Haller: yes it WAS! it would of looked careless if we d9in'ty go take a
looksee outside. imagine the pr...

Gen. Hess: What did your Russian counterpart think of your decision?

Mr. Haller: he dint think it was necesery the noise was some vent fans or
somthin or other. but what igf he was WRONG? imagine trying to explain a
dead crew and outotcontrol station deorbiting randomly oh look ther goes
new york...

Dr. Hallock: Isn't that what we're trying to get you to explain anyway?

Mr. Haller: well ok i guess thers no good way to die but HEY! it wasnt my
fault i wasnt going to fall for that dont look policy nosirree bob

Dr. Osheroff: What did your flight control team recommend? What about the
MER?

Mr. Haller: they agred with the russians it could of ben the fan but i kept
saying WHAT ABOUT THE SKIN and maybe a piece of debree hit it twice or
somethin and made it rattle like that you know it could depressurize and
that woul be the last we har from the crew

Mr. Hubbard: What did your EVA planners recommend? The crew?

Mr. Haller: the eva guys said go. theyre always hapy to go outside. same
with the crew. what could go wrong? hey we've done lots of EVAs never lost
anybody before so whats the harm in taking a look

Dr. Ride: I think I'm hearing an echo here...

Mr. Haller: wets pants i want my mommy

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old April 14th 04, 02:07 PM
bob haller

I'm having a lot more fun imagining you as an ISS flight director sending
the crew out on EVA, getting them killed as a result, and getting your ass
hauled before an investigation

You find the death of a crew member funny......?

If we cant do a pre planned spacewalk safely to inspect the outside of the
station we might as well go home.SIGH What was the number of spacewalks to
core complete 200? whatever it was a big number.

Time to bring the crew home and deorbit the thing. While were at it the shuttle
can be retired today.

Everyone whos part of the standing army might not be pleased...
Hey this is my opinion
Old April 14th 04, 08:21 PM
bob haller

Default Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground

You clearly have no interest in actual safety.
After all, you talked about the fire hazard of cables under your desk but
refuse to speak up at your own job. So that means you are not a "chicken
little" but a "chicken ..."

I am self employeed, so the mess under my desk is my responsiblity. I rewired
to minimize the problems but the manufactuers should really try to fix them
properly. Heck I even modified some extension cords to improve the situation.
Hey this is my opinion
Old April 14th 04, 08:45 PM
bob haller

No, Bob, we find your lack of insight, lack of common sense, general
hypocrisy,
lack of humor, bad spelling, bad grammar, bad punctuation, inability to form
logical argument, and lack of just about everything else, funny.

Wow I see your a admirer

Whatever nasa has a safety culture problem currently. The group tends to
discourage bringing up possible troubles espically those effecting safety.

The SAME PROBLEM exists here. Make jokes, minimize issues, call chicken little,
but generally avoid the real issue Refusde to discuss it entirely....

Oh dont worry about it.

someone should the same attitude cost us 2 crews and orbiters
Hey this is my opinion
Old April 14th 04, 08:47 PM
bob haller

No, Bob, we find your lack of insight, lack of common sense, general
hypocrisy,
lack of humor, bad spelling, bad grammar, bad punctuation, inability to form
logical argument, and lack of just about everything else, funny.

Face it (and maybe learn from it)... Jorge nailed you perfectly.

Hey this is my opinion

Which is just a lame way of attempting to excuse yourself from any and all
lack
of the above.

DF

Lets discuss why you think a spacewalk is so unsafe shall we?

If they are that dangerous then perhaps we shouldnt be there?
Hey this is my opinion
Old April 14th 04, 11:09 PM
jeff findley

(bob haller) writes:

Lets discuss why you think a spacewalk is so unsafe shall we?
If they are that dangerous then perhaps we shouldnt be there?

Typical Bob Haller. It's not a black or white issue. EVA's are
neither 100% safe, nor are they 0% safe. There is always some risk.

There will always be risks like the puncturing of the suit by
micrometeorites. Radar can't track all pieces small enough to puncture
a suit. Suits necessarily have less shielding than ISS modules,
otherwise you couldn't do work in them. While this is a small risk,
it is certainly a risk.

Certainly there are other risks during an EVA. Also, there will
always be hardware failure risks and health risks (you don't want to
get nausea and vomit inside a suit).

Because there are risks to EVA (a higher risk than staying inside the
pressurized volume of ISS), it is prudent to minimize EVA's. NASA
typically doesn't perform an EVA without a good reason to do so.

Also, EVA's take up quite a bit of time. You have to prep the suits
for use, pre-breath O2, get in the suits, depress, open the hatch,
perform the EVA, close the hatch, repress, doff the suits, prep the
suits for storage... If you ever look at the ISS status messages
(posted to these groups) before and after an EVA, you'll get a better
idea of how much work goes into an EVA. It's not trivial.

Because of this, time for an EVA has to be traded off against other
pressing issues like station maintenance (e.g. keeping Elektron
going). Putting off some maintenance adds additional risk that
systems may develop problems.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old April 14th 04, 11:45 PM
bob haller

Noted that again you desire the appearance of safety, not actual safety.

Not at all, with a unknown noise you shouldnt ignore any possibilties,
including taking a look outside
:
:
:
My opinion is right
Old April 14th 04, 11:57 PM
bob haller

You are fixated on what will be said, make sure to have something to cover
one's butt, rather than make a real, engineering and safety-based decision.
You seem to be unaware of the physical realities of the station, what is or
is
not being done, and the risks of the methods you are repeatedly screaming to
be used. Why do you continue to ignore those risks? By your repeated
arguments, you ignore them since they provide a story line for later, whether

When dealing with manned space mistakes can kill. Its upmost important to cover
everything in detail, espically if something isnt understood, such as this
noise.

Oh I agree everything needs a close look, including fans and such. A open mike
should be left in the area just in case it reoccurs.

Does the FAA worry about the privacy of the pilots of a airliner? and the
recordings of their personal comments?

After hearing about off topic conversations during checklists distracting crews
that doesnt appear as a problem any longer. it got fixed

What should be done aboard ISS is a loop tape of say a week thats automatically
erased and ONLY downloaded to ground for troubleshooting.

Frankly the interaction or lack there off of the parrtners sharing of
engineering info concerns me....

NO WHERE did I EVER recommend a EMERGENCY or hap hazard spacewalk. Just a near
term planned one to complete activitews not finished during the last one
because of the suit trouble. This houldnt wait till july.

We shouldnt be in space if we cant go outside with a 2 week lead time to
finish a previously planned walk.
:
:
: