binoculars

Old July 13th 05, 07:17 PM
Dave Blackledge

Default binoculars

Hi!

I'm looking for a pair of binoculars for general observing - clusters,
nebulae, comets etc - for use along with my 6" newtonian. I've up to £200
to spend and I'm thinking that the light gathering power is perhaps the main
factor affecting choice. As my purchase is likely to be internet based I
was hoping for some advice before I buy. I already have an L shaped tripod
bracket so a model with a standard tripod socket would be good. I've
'looked' at Bresser Spezial Jagd 8x56 (both roof and porro prism) (£90 to
£100) and Hilkinson 8x56 'Resolution' (£119). My past experience of
Hilkinson binoculars was some rather fuzzy birdwatching binoculars with
colour abberation -

Are there any favoured models which anyone can recommend up to £200?

Many thanks

Dave B

Old July 13th 05, 07:34 PM
DH

Dave Blackledge wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for a pair of binoculars for general observing - clusters,
nebulae, comets etc - for use along with my 6" newtonian. I've up to £200
to spend and I'm thinking that the light gathering power is perhaps the main
factor affecting choice. As my purchase is likely to be internet based I
was hoping for some advice before I buy. I already have an L shaped tripod
bracket so a model with a standard tripod socket would be good. I've
'looked' at Bresser Spezial Jagd 8x56 (both roof and porro prism) (£90 to
£100) and Hilkinson 8x56 'Resolution' (£119). My past experience of
Hilkinson binoculars was some rather fuzzy birdwatching binoculars with
colour abberation -

Are there any favoured models which anyone can recommend up to £200?

Many thanks

Dave B

I use a pair of large Strathspey 15x70s on a good tripod and parallelogram mount,
and also a small pair of cheap Olympus 8x21 DPC-1 which are fab. You might find that
the Strathspeys are a good bet (same as Oberwerk) and the 15x70 are less than a ton,
so maybe go for the 20x100 ??

Take a look at their website anyway, or give John a bell, always happy to chat (and
chat, and chat :-) and will generally give you very sound advice.

No commercial affiliation, just a good product.

--
Best Regards,

David Harris
Please remove NOSPAM & demunge address to reply :-
g8ina((at))NOSPAMblueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk
Old July 13th 05, 07:50 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Dave Blackledge wrote:
Are there any favoured models which anyone can recommend up to £200?

Strathspey 15x70 -- you'll have sufficient change to buy a decent tripod
on which to mount them.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old July 13th 05, 09:17 PM
adm

"Stephen Tonkin" wrote in message
Dave Blackledge wrote:
Are there any favoured models which anyone can recommend up to £200?

Strathspey 15x70 -- you'll have sufficient change to buy a decent tripod
on which to mount them.

Agreed - I also have a pair. Nice bins for the money.

Old July 14th 05, 12:50 AM
OG

Dave Blackledge wrote:
Are there any favoured models which anyone can recommend up to £200?

Strathspey 15x70 -- you'll have sufficient change to buy a decent tripod
on which to mount them.

Best,
Stephen

I have recently bought myself the long promised Celestron 15x70s which seem
to be very similar to the Strathspey. The only downside I have with them is
that I cannot quite get focus at infinity if I take my glasses off, but then
I am quite significantly shortsighted (-6.5 or thereabouts). On the other
hand, the impressive eyerelief makes removing spectacles unnecessary.

Not had the skies to use them too much, but got a nice view of Jupiter and
the Galileans from Edinburgh a couple of weekends ago. We're looking forward
to taking them to SW France next month.

A tripod is pretty much a necessity, make sure you get one that is tall
enough for you.