[OT] Navy releases photos of U.S.S. San Francisco

Old February 2nd 05, 05:23 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Those of us who've worked in ERs, or who have had friends who have,
had no trouble believing it.

My sister is a nurse; ever time this concept comes up, the story is
that somebody who knew somebody who heard that somebody had run into
this in an emergency room.

I'm not saying the stories are all true; I'm saying I find them believable
because I've seen X-rays of far worse things stuck up people's rectums.

I'm willing to bet that having a live suffocating rodent up your rear
biting and clawing away would indeed generate "an intense sensation".
I'm also willing to bet that that sensation would be far from pleasant
or erotic, and given the likely cleanliness of the little critter,
would probably be a very good way to get possibly lethal damage done
to oneself.

You're not thinking like a True Space Engineer. Have you never heard of
duct tape? :-)

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old February 2nd 05, 09:05 AM
Paul Blay

"Pat Flannery" wrote ...
OM wrote:

...The bad part about Snopes is that there *are* occasions where they
ignore documented facts to prove their own infallability. CIP: While
there are no x-rays to prove Gerbil stuffing that have been released
yet - remember that bit about doctor-patient privacy? - there *IS* the
confirmed story where the two gay lovers a) shoved a tube up one's
ass, b) let the gerbil run in, c) lit a match to see why it had
stopped, and d) wound up lighting the methane, which in turn propelled
the gerbil at high speed - into the guy holding the match's nose at
breaknose speed.

No, that story made the run of the internet, but originated as a hoax
back in 1993.

And frankly in this newsgroup people should have a better idea of
the feasibility of 'naturally produced methane in it's local environment'
being used to propel gerbils.

Sometimes scepticism can go too far. Which is why I rarely read
anything Snopes puts out these days...

You rarely read it because you don't want to be disabused of your
favourite hoaxes?
Old February 2nd 05, 10:26 AM
OM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:05:07 -0000, "Paul Blay"
wrote:

You rarely read it because you don't want to be disabused of your
favourite hoaxes?

....Paul, you're on another one of your "let's bash OM" kicks. Go take
your prozac, get naked with your stack of _Playboys_, and don't come
back until either you're back to normal, or the corncob has fallen out
of your butt, one.

[Shakes head in dismay]

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old February 2nd 05, 11:57 AM
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

I'm not saying the stories are all true; I'm saying I find them believable
because I've seen X-rays of far worse things stuck up people's rectums.

Yes, but just because the Yeti and Sasquatch exist, doesn't mean that
the Mothman does.
In this case there is apparently no evidence whatsoever that anyone
shoved a live gerbil up their rectum then headed toward the hospital
emergency room...there are hospital records for other odd items
though...lots of other odd items...there was once a POW in Vietnam who
kept a watch up his kazoo for years just so he could give it to his late
friend's son after he was released...they made a movie about this
staring Christopher Walken as the POW. ;-)

You're not thinking like a True Space Engineer. Have you never heard of
duct tape? :-)

But is the anus considered a duct? I always thought of it more as an
excretory channel- like Fox News. :-P

Pat
Old February 2nd 05, 12:13 PM
Pat Flannery

Paul Blay wrote:

And frankly in this newsgroup people should have a better idea of the
feasibility of 'naturally produced methane in it's local environment'
being used to propel gerbils.

Although that being said, I've been able to naturally produce methane
that could knock a buzzard off of a manure heap.
Strangely, this thread has drifted from impacting subs to impaction of
the poop deck. :-\

Pat
Old February 2nd 05, 01:46 PM
Jorge R. Frank

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

I'm not saying the stories are all true; I'm saying I find them
believable because I've seen X-rays of far worse things stuck up
people's rectums.

Yes, but just because the Yeti and Sasquatch exist, doesn't mean that
the Mothman does.
In this case there is apparently no evidence whatsoever that anyone
shoved a live gerbil up their rectum then headed toward the hospital
emergency room...

Usually people who shove things up their rectums go to the emergency room
only because they can't get the thing back out. Gerbils, unlike hamsters,
have built-in pullstrings. :-)

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old February 2nd 05, 03:14 PM
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Usually people who shove things up their rectums go to the emergency room
only because they can't get the thing back out. Gerbils, unlike hamsters,
have built-in pullstrings. :-)

You think that thing is torqued off from being blown through a tube into
a unusual area, you just wait to see how it reacts after you pull its
tail out by the roots. You might just as well have pulled the pin on a
living anal hand grenade...that sucker's going to be gnawing its way
upwards and coming out of your mouth inside of five seconds. :-D

Pat
Old February 2nd 05, 04:45 PM
Andre Lieven

Pat Flannery ) writes:
Paul Blay wrote:

And frankly in this newsgroup people should have a better idea of the
feasibility of 'naturally produced methane in it's local environment'
being used to propel gerbils.

Although that being said, I've been able to naturally produce methane
that could knock a buzzard off of a manure heap.

" Theres bad breath, Marge, but you could knock a buzzard off a ****
wagon. "

Strangely, this thread has drifted from impacting subs to impaction of
the poop deck. :-\

Aw crap.

Andre

--
" I'm a man... But, I can change... If I have to... I guess. "
The Man Prayer, Red Green.
Old February 2nd 05, 11:41 PM
Jorge R. Frank

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Jorge R. Frank wrote:

Usually people who shove things up their rectums go to the emergency
room only because they can't get the thing back out. Gerbils, unlike
hamsters, have built-in pullstrings. :-)

You think that thing is torqued off from being blown through a tube
into a unusual area, you just wait to see how it reacts after you pull
its tail out by the roots. You might just as well have pulled the pin
on a living anal hand grenade...that sucker's going to be gnawing its
way upwards and coming out of your mouth inside of five seconds. :-D

Only if you failed to wrap it in enough duct tape... :-)

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old February 3rd 05, 12:10 AM
Derek Lyons

"stmx3" wrote:
In fact, throttlemen take pride in being able to answer the bell as
quickly as possible with barely a flicker of that little yellow light.
It's an art, but these artists know the response of the steam valves,
the depth they're at, etc. to give it just the right touch.

nods We had a throttleman that was designated *by name* to be on the
throttle for anything other than routine ops. I once watched him warm
the mains blindfolded...

As OOD, depending on who the throttleman was, I would order a bell with a call
to maneuvering not to cavitate. Then I'd have the helmsman give a 10
deg rudder, which, of course, would lead to cavitation. A quick call
to maneuvering for some words of admonishment, especially with a fresh
EOOW, made it all the sweeter. Ahhhh...the midwatch.

Heh. One patrol almost all the forward supervisory watchstanders had
juniors that were qualified the senior watch... And most of the
supervisors were qualified most of each others junior watches.

So most midwatches we'd have the juniors relieve us, then merrily
wander about the boat relieving each other. Once the offgoing OOD on
tour found me in Sonar, in MCC, MCRP, and AMR#1... Each time properly
relieved and standing a watch I was qualified... He was not pleased.

Even less pleased was the OOD who leaned over the starboard side of
the stand and noted his (nominal) Torpedo Room watch, Navigation
supervisor, Missile Control Supervisor, Launcher supervior, Radio
supervior, AMR#1 watch, and Sonar supervisor hanging about fire
control alley. (For you non submariners, this is essentially every
supervisory watchstander forward of the reactor compartment.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL