Armstrong Biography by James R. Hansen

Old December 3rd 04, 11:05 PM
John Pelchat

Default Armstrong Biography by James R. Hansen

Hello all,

Last summer there was some discussion of a new biography of Neil
Armstrong by James R. Hansen. Some of the discussion indicated that
the book would be coming out now. Anyone have any more information on
the book or its release date, perhaps something suitable for printing
out and leaving about the house as a hint for a Christmas present?

Take care all of you . . .

John
Old December 3rd 04, 11:59 PM
w9gb

"John Pelchat" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

Last summer there was some discussion of a new biography of Neil
Armstrong by James R. Hansen. Some of the discussion indicated that
the book would be coming out now. Anyone have any more information on
the book or its release date, perhaps something suitable for printing
out and leaving about the house as a hint for a Christmas present?
Take care all of you . . .

John

John -

Very timely posting.

I was talking to Donald Boggs at Boggs SpaceBooks on Wednesday (placing my
Christmas book orders - of course) and I asked him about the status on James
Hansen's book. They are taking pre-orders for the book (autographed by
James Hansen). It is still expected for early 2005 release.
http://www.boggsspace.com/mall/first_man.asp

g. beat

Old December 4th 04, 05:02 AM
Scott Hedrick

"John Pelchat" wrote in message
om...
Last summer there was some discussion of a new biography of Neil
Armstrong by James R. Hansen. Some of the discussion indicated that
the book would be coming out now. Anyone have any more information on
the book or its release date, perhaps something suitable for printing
out and leaving about the house as a hint for a Christmas present?

You mean you haven't read it *yet*????

Old December 4th 04, 08:41 PM
Bill the Cat

"w9gb" wrote in
news57sd.195265$R05.169426@attbi_s53:

[...]

According to collectSPACE, it's October 2005 now:

http://www.collectspace.com/news/new...3b.html#120404

December 4, 2004 -- Simon & Schuster, Inc. has updated their book catalog
to include First Man, The Life of Neil A. Armstrong, the authorized
biography by James Hansen, setting a release date of October 2005. The 608
page hardcover will include 16 pages of black-and-white photographs and
will retail for a list price of $28.00.

Simon & Schuster describes First Man as follows:

What A. Scott Berg did for the life of Charles A. Lindbergh, James R.
Hansen does for Neil A. Armstrong in the first and only definitive,
authorized biography of one of America's most celebrated heroes.

On July 20, 1969, the world stood still to watch thirty-eight-year-old
American astronaut Neil Armstrong become the first person ever to step on
the surface of another heavenly body. When he returned to earth, Armstrong
was honored and celebrated for his monumental achievement. He was also - as
James Hansen reveals in this fascinating and important biography -
misunderstood. Armstrong's accomplishments as engineer, test pilot, and
astronaut have long been a matter of record, but Hansen's unprecedented
access to private documents, interviews with more than 125 subjects
(including more than fifty hours of interviews with Armstrong himself and
twelve hours with his first wife Janet), and unpublished sources yield the
first in-depth analysis of this elusive American celebrity.

In a riveting narrative filled with revelations, Hansen vividly recreates
Armstrong's career in flying, from the heights of honor and recognition
earned as naval aviator, test pilot, and astronaut to the dear personal
price paid by Armstrong - and even more so by his wife and children - for
his dedication to his storied vocation.

Hansen addresses the rumors that have swirled around Armstrong for thirty-
six years and provides a penetrating exploration of American hero worship -
of astronauts and of Armstrong, in particular. In First Man, the personal,
technological, epic, and iconic blend to form the portrait of a great but
reluctant hero who will forever be known as history's most famous space
traveler.

James R. Hansen is a professor of history at Auburn University. A former
historian for NASA, Hansen is author of eight books on the history of
aerospace. He lives in Auburn, Alabama.

Old December 7th 04, 12:57 AM

I'll be interested to see if there's any discussion in this book on
Neil's less-than-stellar handling of Gemini 8, or how a man who clearly
"screwed the pooch" ended up being the first man to walk on the
Moon...and for that matter, how Buzz Aldrin found the courage to fly
with such an individual! :-)

Old December 7th 04, 03:00 AM
Herb Schaltegger

In article . com,
" wrote:

I'll be interested to see if there's any discussion in this book on
Neil's less-than-stellar handling of Gemini 8, or how a man who clearly
"screwed the pooch" ended up being the first man to walk on the
Moon...and for that matter, how Buzz Aldrin found the courage to fly
with such an individual! :-)

Oh, look who's back!

You never did provide those emails you claimed I had sent you, liar.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
Old December 7th 04, 04:30 AM

Singing the same old refrain, I see, and as usual not addressing the
topic at hand. Good to see you, too, Herb!

Old December 7th 04, 04:30 AM

Old December 7th 04, 12:47 PM
Herb Schaltegger

In article .com,
" wrote:

Singing the same old refrain, I see, and as usual not addressing the
topic at hand. Good to see you, too, Herb!

If by "refrain" you mean, "Pointing out LaDonna's lies and personal
slander," why then yes, I'm still "singing the same old refrain."

Old December 7th 04, 07:32 PM
MasterShrink

I'll be interested to see if there's any discussion in this book on
Neil's less-than-stellar handling of Gemini 8, or how a man who clearly
"screwed the pooch" ended up being the first man to walk on the
Moon...and for that matter, how Buzz Aldrin found the courage to fly
with such an individual! :-)

How did he handle GT 8 in a "less than stellar fashion"?

-A.L.