To buy or not to buy binoculars?

Old November 2nd 03, 02:56 PM
Peter B

Default To buy or not to buy binoculars?

Hi all

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of 15X70 binoculars? I already own an
ETX90 and an 8" dob.

What I miss is something to use when I only have a short time to spend on
observing like 15-30 minutes. The problem with the ETX is that it doesn't
have time to cool down, and I think that the binoculars might be a good
choice. One other thing is that I don't know how many things I will be able
to see (have looked at Astronomical League Home Page's binocular section and
there seems to be quite some objects within reach of binoculars).

So my question is: Will the 15X70 binoculars (properly with some sort of
support) be a good choice for quick peaks at the sky and how much will I be
able to see?

Thanks for any info.

Peter B

---

Old November 2nd 03, 03:13 PM
Marty

They sound nice, but maybe just a bit specialized. To fill the nich in
your observing arsenal, I'd tend to go for something wide field that can
be hand held. Maybe some 7x50s or 10x50s, or maybe even bigger on the
objective end. I've got a pair of 11x80s that I can hand hold for brief
periods, and I use 'em more than I use my 8 inch SCT... they're just so
quick and convenient. 15x is getting to the place where you'd just
about have to use some type of mount all the time, though.
On the other hand, you can NEVER really have too much stuff to
watch the sky with.
Marty

Old November 2nd 03, 03:23 PM
Jon Isaacs

So my question is: Will the 15X70 binoculars (properly with some sort of
support) be a good choice for quick peaks at the sky and how much will I be
able to see?

I think everyone ought to have at least one pair of decent binoculars.
Preferably some that can be hand held and offer a reasonably wide Field of
view, some WA 10x50s are a nice balance and a nice companion for your ETX-90
and DOB. One can sweep the heavens and find targets as well as enjoy the view.

15x70s are probably quite nice but somewhat limited because they really do
require a tripod. What could you see?, well that depends on where you are and
how dark the skies are.

A ST-80 would be an alternative, provides wider FOVs and the ability to change
magnification.

jon

Old November 2nd 03, 04:31 PM
Rod Mollise

So my question is: Will the 15X70 binoculars (properly with some sort of
support) be a good choice for quick peaks at the sky and how much will I be
able to see?

Hi:

I use binoculars frequently, including 15x70s. I really like 'em, but some
folks are disappointed by their drawbacks:

As you've noted, a tripod is really a must once you get to 15x70, which
slightly reduces the portability factor.

Low magnification and the inability to change same means that even at 15x
you'll find them somewhat compromised in light polluted areas.

Low magnification means you'll be restricted to larger objects. M31 looks
great, M42 looks great, M45 looks great, and so on. But small objects like most
galaxies and planetary nebulae will just be barely non-stellar.

If you'll be satisfied with wideangle views for your quick looks, go for
15x70s. If you don't think so, think "Short Tube 80" or "Astroscan", perhaps
supplemented by a pair of emininently hand-holdable 10x50s.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old November 2nd 03, 04:43 PM
Bill Meyers

Hi,
I have 15 x 70's and with them I can see a great deal, much more than with
my 8.5 x 44 binocs. I can hand hold them, resting from time to time, but
usually I use them on a SkyWindow binocular mirror mount, very highly
recommended; unlike traditional binocular mounts there is no neck craning. If
you prefer traditional mounts, Unimount has a good reputation.
I also have 12 x 60's which show a great deal also but noticeably less than
the 15x 70's, but are much easier for me to handhold. YMMV.
I recommend the Oberwerks, at Bigbinoculars.com Kevin is a very reputable
guy.
Clear skies,
Bill Meyers

Old November 2nd 03, 07:10 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Peter B" wrote in message ...

I have the opportunity to buy a pair of 15X70 binoculars? I already own an
ETX90 and an 8" dob.

I recommend binoculars that are more portable and do not require a tripod,
such as 8x40 or 10x50.

The 15x70 binoculars will require a tripod.

Old November 2nd 03, 09:10 PM
Al Arduengo

"Peter B" writes:

[...]

Hi Peter,

I wanted to suggest a pair of 9x63 binoculars. Most folks seem to
overlook this size and it is a shame. The objective is big enough to
get some nice faint fuzzies but they are light enough to hold for a bit
before getting cumbersome. I have a pair of Celestron Ultima 9x63s that
I absolutely love.

Just my opinion and suggestion.
Best,
-Al A.
--
~/.signature
Old November 2nd 03, 09:54 PM
Rod Mollise

I have a pair of Celestron Ultima 9x63s that
I absolutely love.

I concur. We have a pair at the university here where I teach astronomy, and
they are some of the lightest, best-performing binocs I have ever used.

Old November 2nd 03, 10:23 PM
RKroeppler

I use 20 x 80's regularly. A sturdy parallelogram mount and tripod combo are a
must for me. I also just purchased the ST80. Both pieces of equipment are
excellent for easy star-hopping and deep-sky hunting. But to supplement the
scopes you have I guess I'd recommend 10 x 50's for easy use and quick peeks.
Just my two cents worth.

Scott
Old November 3rd 03, 12:57 AM
JAS

"Peter B" wrote in message ...
[...]

The 15X70 would be something of a problem. Anything over 10X will be
impossible to hold steady -- your normal body shake will cause the 15X binos
to shake to the point that you will not be able to see much of anything.
You'll need to mount them on a tripod for stability -- and by the time you
drag out the tripod with the binos, you just as well set up one of the
scopes.

I have an ETX-90 and an 8-inch Dob. I have two pair of binos:
-- Meade 9X63
-- Nikon 10X50

I prefer the 9X63. With the 63mm aperture, they admit a good bit of light
while the 9X magnification keeps shake to a minimum.

--
----
JAS