Binoculars..

Old October 4th 03, 06:14 PM
Brian Stephanik

Default Binoculars..

I'm thinking of puchasing a nice pair of binoculars. They'd mainly be used
for galaxies & clusters & all that good stuff. I was wondering, what are
some good brands and sizes that I should look into?

Old October 4th 03, 06:46 PM
Roland Herrera

hi,

normal use = zwarovski, zeiss, leica or canon IS but they're not cheap
larger binos are helios stellar ( orion giants ) much cheaper but require
tripod

try before you buy

G.luck
RH

Old October 4th 03, 08:58 PM
Florian

Have a look at bigbinoculars.com. Good selection of astro binoculars for =
the beginner. Good company to deal with too.

-Florian

Old October 4th 03, 08:59 PM
Stefan Ahlgren

http://www.oberwerk.com/bigbinos/

/Stefan Ahlgren, Sweden

Old October 4th 03, 10:23 PM
Jb2269

Brian,
If you ate looking for an inexpensive pair I found the White Tail 10x50 a
true value. They are reportedly designed by Pentax and mfg. in China. Mine had
inexpensive MgF2 coatings and are sharp to the edge on stellar images. they are
on sale today on Amazon.com for $39 with free shipping. Enjoy.
Bill Bambrick
41 N, 73 W, 95 ASL
Old October 4th 03, 10:41 PM
Florian

If you are looking for an inexpensive pair I found the White Tail =
10x50 a
true value. They are reportedly designed by Pentax and mfg. in China. =

Mine had
inexpensive MgF2 coatings and are sharp to the edge on stellar images. =

they are
on sale today on Amazon.com for $39 with free shipping. Enjoy.=20

Okay, that was too good to pass up. I just placed an order for a pair. =
$38.88 delivered. I needed an inexpensive astro binocular that i can =
leave at my workplace.

-Florian

Old October 5th 03, 04:31 AM
David Nakamoto

Galaxies and clusters? I'm assuming by the latter you are including
Globular clusters? In any case, for the first one, you need to heed the
Astronomers truism that when it comes to faint objects (such as galaxies)
aperture is paramount. But aperture eventually requires a sturdy support,
and this means some sort of tripod or dedicated binocular mount. So shop
around carefully and make sure you can live with lugging and using the
equipment you're going to purchase.

Other posters have given you good brand names. I'd recommend binos with
front lenses at least 80mm if you're seriously going to hunt down more than
a few galaxies and clusters.

Good Luck !

Pinprick holes in a colorless sky
Let inspired figures of light pass by
The Mightly Light of ten thousand suns
Challenges infinity, and is soon gone

Old October 5th 03, 05:45 PM
Madashel

I just bought mine also on Amazon. I've been eying these for the past couple
of months. When I finally decided to buy them a few weeks ago, the price
went back to its original price. But now it went back down to $39, so I
jumped on it.
Byron.

Old October 5th 03, 09:52 PM
VicXnews

"Madashel" wrote in
:

"Florian" wrote in message
If you are looking for an inexpensive pair I found the White
Tail

10x50 a
true value. They are reportedly designed by Pentax and mfg. in China.
Mine

had
inexpensive MgF2 coatings and are sharp to the edge on stellar images.
they

are
on sale today on Amazon.com for $39 with free shipping. Enjoy.

Okay, that was too good to pass up. I just placed an order for a pair.
$38.88 delivered. I needed an inexpensive astro binocular that i can
leave at my workplace.

-Florian

I picked up a pair for my son for Christmas. I think you will like
them....especially at $39 delivered.

--
"The time has come," the teacher said "To tie up many threads: How
Tycho's claws and Kepler's laws just tore the Greeks to shreads. Why
Old October 7th 03, 04:28 AM
Rich McMahon

Brian

David posted below that you need some binocs with a larger apature..
However with that you need a steady support which can be built very
easly. Or you can hold them for short periods of time. Anyway
celestron has some 15x70s out for around 85.00. the 20x80s are more
expensive. You didnt mention what price range you want to be in. Ive
looked through the 15x70s there great for the price the celestron or
orion 20x80s are nice too.

Rich