Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Old June 5th 09, 06:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

http://www.russiatoday.com/Top_News/...iolkovsky.html

An awesome three minute video documentary from Russia Today.

http://webpages.charter.net/tsiolkovsky/
Old June 8th 09, 10:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Some interesting documents, but I fear a bit pie in the sky for the real
world.

What is the actual limiting feature of trying to run Shuttle for less?
I'd envisage a couple of new vehicles. Surely we could do better at
preventing damage from debris in a new design.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.

Old June 8th 09, 06:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

The directory of documents : http://webpages.charter.net/tsiolkovsky/

What is the actual limiting feature of trying to run Shuttle for less?
I'd envisage a couple of new vehicles. Surely we could do better at
preventing damage from debris in a new design.

The ISS is the new space shuttle. All we need to do now is get to it.

The problem is that politicians and NASA are risk averse, and they will
want to back up to the EELVs and COTS vehicles for the interim, with no
real technology development to improve them incrementally towards
reusability and decreasing costs. Right now conventional ELVs are
INCREASING in costs, and that must be reversed. My proposal involves
using things like tanks, attitude control, the entire upper stages,
engines, etc as basic infrastructure for space ports, space hotels,
space ships and space stations, observatories, etc, such that nearly
seventy five percent of orbital mass can be recovered intact, in a form
which is already usable in low Earth orbit and beyond almost unmodified.

Compare my scenario to ISRU, where it will cost a trillion dollars to
get people to planets, set up energy, mining, refining, manufacturing,
fabrication and assembly of spacecraft which already exist in a fully
finished form, in space where they have already been retrieved from a
deep gravity well with abundant natural, industrial and human resources.

The finished relevant documents :

http://webpages.charter.net/Commercial_Space.pdf
http://webpages.charter.net/21st_Century_Space.pdf
http://webpages.charter.net/A_New_Direction.pdf