10 inch dobs

Old April 22nd 08, 02:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mark F.

Default 10 inch dobs

Well it appears I will getting a 10 inch dobs tomorrow.(eBay)
This is a big upgrade from my 4.5 incher.
Anything I need to know.
Cool down time?

--
Fly Lexx!

Old April 23rd 08, 02:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MTA[_2_]

Why have a telescope that doesn't even track the sky??

Oh you are going to LOVE the views! Wait about an hour. Congrats!

Old April 23rd 08, 03:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TBerk

On Apr 23, 6:25 am, "MTA" wrote:

Oh you are going to LOVE the views! Wait about an hour. Congrats!

Why have a telescope that doesn't even track the sky??

Why not?

TBerk
Old April 23rd 08, 04:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
laura halliday

On Apr 23, 6:25 am, "MTA" wrote:
Why have a telescope that doesn't even track the sky??

You've obviously never used one, or you would know that a gentle
nudge from time to time is all you need to track objects. It becomes
second nature in minutes.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Non sequitur. Your ACKS are
Grid: CN89mg uncoordinated."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Nomad the Network Engineer
Old April 23rd 08, 04:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MTA[_2_]

Get an 8-10" mounted Meade or Celestron and you can have it both ways.

Old April 23rd 08, 09:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

MTA wrote:

Get an 8-10" mounted Meade or Celestron and you can have it both ways.

You've obviously never used one, or you would know that a gentle
nudge from time to time is all you need to track objects. It becomes
second nature in minutes.

And the additonal out-of-pocket expense will be...?

Old April 24th 08, 03:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Apr 23, 9:25 am, "MTA" wrote:
Why have a telescope that doesn't even track the sky??

It's cheaper, more powerful, more portable, more stable.
Old April 24th 08, 06:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dennis Woos

Why have a telescope that doesn't even track the sky??

It's cheaper, more powerful, more portable, more stable.

I think that dobs are great, but I don't agree with this claim that they are
"more powerful, more portable, more stable". 1) I don't even know what is
meant by "more powerful". 2) Some dobs are very portable and some are not,
and the same can be said for other designs. 3) I don't see how they are
"more stable" - at public events folks are constantly moving the dobs off
target as they push on the scope, even if they intend only to focus.

They are cheaper, and if the optics are good provide excellent views.

Dennis

Old April 24th 08, 11:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Apr 24, 1:59 am, "Dennis Woos" wrote:
Why have a telescope that doesn't even track the sky??

It's cheaper, more powerful, more portable, more stable.

I think that dobs are great, but I don't agree with this claim that they are
"more powerful, more portable, more stable". 1) I don't even know what is
meant by "more powerful". 2) Some dobs are very portable and some are not,
and the same can be said for other designs. 3) I don't see how they are
"more stable" - at public events folks are constantly moving the dobs off
target as they push on the scope, even if they intend only to focus.

They are cheaper, and if the optics are good provide excellent views.

While you can't always compare apples and oranges, with a Dob you do
get some conbination of more aperture per dollar, a lighter, easier-to-
set-up scope for any given aperture, and a mount that is often more
stable than all but the sturdiest (expensive and generally less
portable) equatorials.

The greater light-gathering power, and resolving power, combined with
low cost, made even a medium-sized Dob more interesting than the old
three-inch refractors, small SCTs, or 6-inch Newtonians that were the
norm back in the 70's and early 80's.

Old April 25th 08, 05:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
rat ~( )>

On Apr 23, 9:57�am, "MTA" wrote:
Get an 8-10" mounted Meade or Celestron and you can have it both ways.

You've obviously never used one, or you would know that a gentle
nudge from time to time is all you need to track objects. It becomes
second nature in minutes.- Hide quoted text -

Get an 8-10" mounted Meade or Celestron and you can have it both
ways.

I don't see how. I use a 10" dob and have owned several 8-10" mounted
SCT's. The Dob is much easier and less work to set up and break down,
easier to point, easier and more comfortable to use and sports a
smaller obstruction and shorter focal length for wider field and
higher contrast (better) views. For purely visual observing I prefer
it greatly to the complicated and persnickety contraptions that most
noobies call "telescopes" these days. Not that there's anything wrong
with SCT's. It's just that there's nothing wrong with a good Dob,
either, just depends what you want to do with your telescope and how
much time to have to get going each session and how much you need it
to do for you vs what you know how to do for yourself.

rat
~( );

2 inch focuser for 6 inch f 5 zaph Amateur Astronomy 8 January 3rd 07 02:23 AM
8 and 12 inch Hardin DOBs on Special Jon Isaacs Amateur Astronomy 34 July 13th 04 03:01 PM
Dobs Howard UK Astronomy 1 April 14th 04 12:30 AM
2-inch vs 1.25-inch eyepiece SPQR Amateur Astronomy 8 August 26th 03 02:49 AM