Distant planet judged possibly habitable

Old April 24th 07, 10:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Distant planet judged possibly habitable

Distant planet judged possibly habitable
In findings that if confirmed could stand as a landmark in history,
astronomers report finding the most Earth-like planet outside our
Solar System to date.
http://www.world-science.net

Old April 25th 07, 07:15 PM posted to sci.space.history
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
wrote:

Distant planet judged possibly habitable
In findings that if confirmed could stand as a landmark in history,
astronomers report finding the most Earth-like planet outside our
Solar System to date.
http://www.world-science.net

If it has only a 13-hour transit time, tidal effects have probably
slowed down its rotation to one per transit, making one side face its
star and the other side always in the dark -- not conducive to the
emergence of life.
Old April 26th 07, 02:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
eyeball

Are we sure we can trust the people of this planet?!

Old April 26th 07, 03:06 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 25 Apr 2007 18:55:54 -0700, in a place far, far away, eyeball
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Are we sure we can trust the people of this planet?!

If we're to judge by the small sample of you, probably not.
Fortunately, most seem more intelligent.
Old April 26th 07, 06:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
Martin Dunne[_2_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

If it has only a 13-hour transit time, tidal effects have probably
slowed down its rotation to one per transit, making one side face its
star and the other side always in the dark -- not conducive to the
emergence of life.

That's not the case; it's just sufficiently different from our model for
the same arguments as precession.
Martin
--
http://sfsa.org.au/, the South Australian Doctor Who Fan Club, Inc.
Old April 26th 07, 03:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
eyeball

On Apr 25, 10:06 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On 25 Apr 2007 18:55:54 -0700, in a place far, far away, eyeball
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Are we sure we can trust the people of this planet?!

If we're to judge by the small sample of you, probably not.
Fortunately, most seem more intelligent.

In my experience,inability to distinguish a humorous post,combined
with replying in insults,is usually a greater indicator of lower
intelligence.

Old April 26th 07, 03:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 26 Apr 2007 07:06:41 -0700, in a place far, far away, eyeball

wrote:
On 25 Apr 2007 18:55:54 -0700, in a place far, far away, eyeball
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such
a way as to indicate that:

Are we sure we can trust the people of this planet?!

If we're to judge by the small sample of you, probably not.
Fortunately, most seem more intelligent.

In my experience,inability to distinguish a humorous post,combined
with replying in insults,is usually a greater indicator of lower
intelligence.

How would one know that it was meant to be humorous? There are
certainly plenty of people in this group that hate humanity, and don't
mind saying so. Particularly with weird screen names, like "eyeball."